#150834 11/06/06 02:11 PM
J
jefft Offline OP
buff
OP Offline
buff
J
Hello all,

I am considering getting the VP150, but it's pretty big, and I don't know how I could mount it above my LCD TV (40" Sony 40XBR1). The TV, being a LCD, is pretty thing so i can't really just put it on the top side of the TV. I think I'll need some sort of stand/support.

The wall is not an option because the TV is in front of sliding closet doors.

Please help!

thanks

Jeff 2x m22ti and 1x VP150 Panasonic SA-XR55S
Re: mounting center channel above LCD TV
jefft #150835 11/06/06 03:55 PM
veteran
veteran
I have seen a decent sized center channel stand that fits on top of the TV at Circuit City. It looks as if it could hold a VP150. Check out their website (the shelf costs about $40).

royce73 #150836 11/07/06 03:16 AM
J
jefft Offline OP
buff
OP Offline
buff
J
I think you're referring to this: CC link

From what I've read, it doesn't really work for flat panel because it's not deep enough for those supporting legs.

jefft #150837 11/07/06 04:40 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Have you considered placing the VP150 below the TV and angling it up slightly, works well for me that way and I think it looks better.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
jefft #150838 11/07/06 05:21 AM
shareholder in the making
Jeff, ditto Michael's suggestion; whatever center speaker is used could be placed below the screen and angled up. The slanted top of the VP150 would automatically do this if it was flipped upside-down.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

JohnK #150839 11/07/06 12:24 PM
J
jefft Offline OP
buff
OP Offline
buff
J
The TV is on top of a cart, which is too narrow to fit the VP150... That's why I was thinking about placing it above the TV.

jefft #150840 11/25/06 03:54 PM
J
jefft Offline OP
buff
OP Offline
buff
J
After a lot of research, I finally ended up with a monitor stand from Guitar Center (actually, they made me buy a pair, so if anyone needs one, let me know).

This is what my set up looks like now. (Bear in my I live in a relatively small apartment in NYC approx. 18'x11'x10')

pic 1
pic 2

One slight annoyance of my setup is that I could tell that the sound is coming from the center speaker which is slightly above the TV... Not sure if it's psychological, but I liked it better when I had the center speaker just below the TV, but there is no room for it there...

I would appreciate all your comments/suggestions on my setup.

One thing about my system is that my M22's are different color than the V150. So when I decided to upgrade to surround, I inquired Axiom about upgrading my M22's (perhaps even to M60's) with the V150 so that they're the same color, and at the same time I would buy a few more QS8's to complete the setup. To my dismay, it turned out that since my M22's were purchased more than 2 years ago, there was no way I could upgrade through Axiom. So to try to match my system as much as I could, I bought some dark silver satin sheet and cover it over my speakers. I wish I knew someone who could make a custom cover...

When I purchased the M22's while I was a relatively poor college student looking for a nice "budget" stero system, there was a very nice lady (I forgot her name) who helped me at Axiom. She was extremely friendly and helpful and was one of the main reasons I ended up with Axioms.

In the past few weeks, I've contacted Axiom on a few occasions with questions... hoping that I would get that nice lady on the phone again. No such luck... I got a gentleman, who although was professional and cordial, didn't seem all that interested in my questions. While he was polite, he wasn't all that friendly. It was a significantly different kind of experience.

Everyone here raves about the outstanding customer service and the unmatched mission to make every customer satisfied... Well, Axiom is great, but it does seem that that reputation is a bit overblown. I guess I was just a bit disappointed when I had such high expectations that they would do everything they could to help me, but there is a limit. I love my Axioms, but I will have a different level of expectation out of Axiom in the future.

jefft #150841 11/25/06 05:22 PM
Quote:

I inquired Axiom about upgrading my M22's (perhaps even to M60's) with the V150 so that they're the same color, and at the same time I would buy a few more QS8's to complete the setup. To my dismay, it turned out that since my M22's were purchased more than 2 years ago, there was no way I could upgrade through Axiom {{SNIPPED}} Everyone here raves about the outstanding customer service and the unmatched mission to make every customer satisfied... Well, Axiom is great, but it does seem that that reputation is a bit overblown. I guess I was just a bit disappointed when I had such high expectations that they would do everything they could to help me, but there is a limit. I love my Axioms, but I will have a different level of expectation out of Axiom in the future.

Jeff:
At the risk of coming off as sounding like an Axiom fanboy, I must respectfully disagree.

I think it's unreasonable to expect ANY company to take back a two year old product because you now don't like the color. If something had broken, I'm sure Axiom would have taken care of the problem with the high level of satisfaction that you were expecting. But to take back a product because you prefer a different color? What are they supposed to do with the ones you send back since they don't sell "used" speakers….just throw them out and eat the manufacturing and shipping costs on them? Have you essentially get two sets of speakers for the price of one? How could they stay in business if they keep sending new speakers to customers to replace some that are (more than) 1 year and eleven months past their 30 day trial because the customer decided they wanted something different now?

Do you know of ANY other manufacturer or distributor that would do this? I think anyone else would be less than "polite" with you on the phone… I think they would laugh their butts off at your phone call.

Again, I know that I'll likely just be accused of being a fanboy, but as a small business owner, I just get annoyed when someone badmouths a great company because they won't bend over so far backwards for the customer that the company breaks their back in half….

Be reasonable….. The customer is NOT alway right as your post proves.

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
MarkSJohnson #150842 11/25/06 05:28 PM
Let me add in the interest of remaining helpful that maybe you should inquire about replacing the grills only? That will give you a new look at a much lower cost....

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
MarkSJohnson #150843 11/26/06 08:54 AM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
I have to agree with Mark, they're not Starbucks and could hardly stay in business much less be as reasonably priced as they are if they handed out free speakers.

What were the questions you feel like you got brushed off about regarding?

Bren R.

Edit: I'm not suggesting you're a moocher with that link... just suggesting the "just say yes" mentality in the fourth paragraph is a lot easier when you're selling 5000% mark-up hot bean oil in water than audio equipment.

Last edited by BrenR; 11/26/06 09:06 AM.
jefft #150844 11/27/06 04:54 AM
J
J
You have unrealistic expectations for customer service, plain and simple. A color issue is not customer relations problem especially for a product 2 years old. What would you expect Axiom to do with the old speakers? They do not deal in used products.

I would suggest selling the M22's yourself and this will help pay for the full upgrade and color match.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
MarkSJohnson #150845 11/27/06 11:05 PM
J
jefft Offline OP
buff
OP Offline
buff
J
Hi Mark,

I strive to be fair in what I say and I had actually agnoized over my post above for a few days before I finally decided to post it. I intended it to be a fair reporting of what had happened, not to "badmouth" Axiom in the sense of making any false negative statements about Axiom. But, writings and words can have different meanings and interpretations by different people... so I hope to clarify what I stated above with the following.

Was I disappointed that Axiom's upgrade program didn't include my M22s because they were purchased more than 2 years ago? Yes! I just didn't know about the 2 year limitation prior to my call, but I certainly understand why Axiom would want such a limitation. My point was that I had heard so many people rave so much about Axiom's upgrade/replacement program that caused me to have such high expectations out of Axiom... but people (i.e. me) should have had a more realistiic expectation as such program has a 2 year limit. That's all that I wanted to warn others about. In any event, I absolutely never expected that Axiom would give away free speakers in any upgrade program as some of you had inferred from my post.

By the way, you guys brought up an interesting question: What do Axioms do with the speakers from those who upgrade within the two years?

Back to my post, what I was more disappointed with was the fact that the customer service representative I spoke to was not all that helpful with my inquiries (other than the replacement program). This was in sharp contrast with the great experience I had a few years ago with the lady who helped me with my M22 purchase.

For example, did the representative make any suggestions as to what I could do to better match my speakers, such as to replace the grilles, as you had proposed? No. Did he make any suggestions? No, it was a relatively short conversation.

By the way. the idea of replacing the grilles came to me a few days after I found out about the 2 year limit, and if I remember correctly, costs about $50+ per grille.

I wonder if the sound quality would be adversely effect the sound quality if I put the satin sheet over the grille, too, or if the sheet would only make it a little less loud.

Cheers,

jefft #150846 11/28/06 04:10 AM
Jeff, I haven't bothered to search the posts up, but Alan has explained twice I recall that those returned speakers are sold to company employees, friends, relatives, etc. at a greatly reduced price. They aren't part of the Outlet sales.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

JohnK #150847 11/28/06 06:38 AM
J
J
Quote:

sold to company employees, friends, relatives, etc. at a greatly reduced price

I wonder if they would consider loyal forum members.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
jefft #150848 11/28/06 07:10 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Honestly, I have been dealing with Axiom for a couple of years and hanging out on the boards regularly and I have NEVER heard of an upgrade/replacement program.

Axiom allows you to return speakers within a 30 day trial period. Some people upgrade within that trial period but that's it as far as I know.

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8
Re: upgrade program
bridgman #150849 11/28/06 04:51 PM
N
devotee
devotee
N
I wonder if Axiom would consider an upgrade program. Several online companies offer such a program.

As far as mounting above the tv, use a shim or some type of material to angle the center down towards ear level. Our ears are designed to receive sound from above. If you play around with the amount of tilt, you should be fine.

Epic Grande Master 500 w/ on wall VP180
bridgman #150850 11/28/06 06:08 PM
I agree John, I think the 30 day "no questions asked" policy is plenty. This is not software.

M80s VP180 4xM22ow 4xM3ic EP600 2xEP350
AnthemAVM60 Outlaw7700 EmoA500 Epson5040UB FluanceRT85

SirQuack #150851 11/29/06 02:00 PM
HAY Offline
aficionado
aficionado
I've seen a few posts on this over the years but nothing specifically from Axiom, only owners stating they were able to.

Out of the links I found, this is the one I remember seeing and I thought it seemed possible given Axioms service. Upgrade Post by Owner

High Gloss Cherry
M60 VP150 QS8
Open for Auditions but please don't drool on the High Gloss
HAY #150852 11/30/06 12:18 AM
R
connoisseur
connoisseur
R
What you are really talking about is a trade-in. I believe you wiill find that calling Axiom and talking through the issue will bear fruit.

There is no formal trade-in program and never has been, so you shouldn't have an expectation that Axiom will solve your upgrade requirement this way. However, one of the posts above mentioned that they sell trade-ins to friends/family in these types of instances.

Give them a call and see if they can help. If so, everybody wins. If not, (and they WILL try to help you), you are no worse off.

But to be sure, they are under no obligation to solve your problem. That's why they are so terrific - they will try anyhow.

In any event, they have no culpability here and any critcism is unwarranted.

jefft #150853 12/06/06 03:58 AM
J
jefft Offline OP
buff
OP Offline
buff
J
Latest update:

I received a PM over the weekend from Andrea of Axiom that there is another option: get new cabinets and transfer the electronics over.

Unfortunately, I don't think I will be able to improve the look much unless I get the cabinets + grilles for my M22ti's... and according to my calculation, that would cost almost $300. I am also not very good with projects like that, and I wouldn't want to risk the possibility of damaging my beloved (albeit non-matching) speakers. So I think I am going to just live with the colors for now and try to save up for a pair of QS8s and eventually M60s.

In any event, I was very glad to see that Axiom is looking over the forums and trying to be helpful... and I really appreciated it.

Anyway, the ladies at Axiom rock!!! It's just the boys there that need improvement... haha j/k

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,477
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020