Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Re: Classical Music suggestions? (sushi?)
#15120 08/04/03 10:18 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Well, I made a trip to the library. They didn't have a whole lot. I got "the story of Wagner", and have it on now. It seems to be more a story of his life with his music mixed in though...not quite what I was looking for. It also seems that a lot of people on here mention YO-YO MA, so I got his Made in America CD to try out as well. Hopefully this is a good first selection by him. At 50 cents a CD for a week rental I can't really argue.

#15121 08/04/03 10:23 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
FYI...i just heard the Prelude on the new disc I have and it is specified...it is actually the Prelude to Act III that I liked. Haven't heard the one for Act I yet...that comes up later.

#15122 08/04/03 11:40 PM
shareholder in the making
Okay Z, of course I was just poking fun at you about "songs", but sometimes knowing the classical lingo makes it easier to find stuff online. For example, when I wanted to check if the Levine CD(the one in your link)was still available, I went to hbdirect.com, looked under Wagner at "opera excerpts", and found it immediately.

Now, as I suspected, it's the Prelude to Act III of Lohengrin that you heard. So, my alternative suggestion of the Jansons CD on Seraphim includes that. It's available for about $7 at your King of Prussia branch of Borders(Ave. of Arts, Bryn Mawr, Marlton and Springfield branches also show it in stock). Incidentally, I certainly wouldn't be happy if my library charged to borrow CDs.

I gather that you lean toward the more vigorous items in classical music, which is generally my own tendency. If so, I have scads of suggestions, including the Rachmaninoff, Respighi, Smetana, etc. suggestions I made to Craig.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

#15123 08/05/03 01:35 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Yup, the KofP Borders is right around the corner from me. Maybe I'll check that one out....I assume it has Ride of the Valkyries as well. And as for part two, yes I like the more vigorous items, which makes sense since my other listening is mostly on the hard rock side of things. I'll happily take other suggestions. It seems that there are a bunch of different recordings out there of things, and finding a good quality one is sometimes the hard part with classical. Thanks for the help.

Zarak

#15124 08/05/03 02:55 AM
Z, yes it includes the Ride. While you're at Borders there's at least two other items I've suggested from time to time that I think you'd like and are shown in stock: Respighi, Roman Festivals, etc., Dutoit and the Montreal on London 430 729(about $16)very colorful in excellent sound; Brahms, Hungarian Dances(if you happen to be of slavic ancestry like me, or even if you aren't),Bogar with the Budapest Symphony(about $8)on Naxos 8.550110.

#15125 08/28/03 09:38 PM
hobbyist
hobbyist
Hi all! I've been reading this post but before I go out and buy anything I have a couple of questions. My appreciation of classical music comes down to the familiar selections. Beethoven's 9th, Nutcracker suite, etc. I am basically a casual listener. With my new Axiom system, I have just started listening to music again. Most of my CD's are 15-20 years old. I took out my old Beethoven’s 9th CD (Cleveland Symphony Orchestra), and it did sound good, but not great. For great I only have as reference the Norah Jones Come Away CD. That is the only new CD I own, and in addition to loving the songs, the sound quality just blows me away, almost sounds live. So, if I want to go out and get maybe 1 or 2 classical CD's, I want to find both familiar pieces (almost said songs) & that same reference quality sound as Norah. Is that possible with classical music? Also, knowing that I like Norah, any suggestions for similar music with the same quality sound? Thanks in advance. - Barry

#15126 08/29/03 02:21 AM
Barry, that's right, watch that "songs". I don't know what a Norah Jones is, so I can't make any comparisons there, but let me specifically suggest one item to start(of course I could list dozens)which has some rather flashy music in excellent sound: Respighi, Roman Festivals,et al, Dutoit with the Montreal Symphony, London LON 410 145(previously gave an outdated number for this CD). It's shown as available now at the Borders in Plantation; the Borders right in Coral Springs apparently would have to order it.

#15127 08/29/03 02:38 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Classical music in reference-quality sound? As usual, there are too many to suggest. But I'd like to say one thing first. When people are talking about "referece-grade" recording, many think about those eye-popping "high-resolution" recordings taken with multiple microphones placed extremely near-field (within a few feet of instruments). However, the majority of truly good classical CDs these days do NOT aim at that type of effects. Rather, they focus on reproducing the sound and ambience that you experience at live concerts in various real-world venues, where you mostly hear far-field sounds. Accordingly, studio recordings are less and less popular these days in classical genres; rather, they go out to concert halls, churches, and European castles for the "location" recordings. The main mics are mostly set far-field, with some assistance from near-field tracks.

And yes, many of the recordings from the "early digital era" do not sound too good. The recording engineers were too "ambitious" and the digital equipment hadn't yet come to age. Recordings made after 1990 or so are usually far better. Especially, in my experience, the Deutsche Grammophon "4D Audio" series and the Teldec label almost never fail in sound quality.

That said, if you would like some of the more "popular" classical pieces in reference-grade sound, one of the first things I have to suggest is Disney's Fantasia 2000 DVD (James Levine/Chicago Symphony Orchestra). Especially, listen to (and watch) Respighi's Pines of Rome, Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue, and Stravensky's Firebird Suite, definitely in the DTS 5.1 mode. The recording quality is just amazing. Although the soundtrack does not contain any artificial LFEs, a good subwoofer is a must in order to reproduce the smashes of bass drums and timpanis, and attacks of tubas and string bass.

You said you like the Nutcracker suite. Then I would strongly suggest this DVD production of the Nutcracker ballet by George Balanchine/New York City Ballet. Tchaikovski's music is beautiful, recording is excellent, and the movie-like production of the ballet is just fun and engaging. My daughters really love this one. Macaulay Culkin (Home Alone) does an excellent job as the Nutcracker Prince.

Okay, back to CD's -- here are some of my recent purchases of relatively popular pieces, all with impressive recording qualities:

Rodrigo - Concierto de Aranjuez. Sharon Isbin (guitar) / Lawrence Foster / Lausanne Chamber Orchestra. Excellent sound of guitar in front of a small orchestra.

Holst - The Planets. John Eliot Gardiner / Philharmonia Orchestra. Very colorful orchestral sounds.

Beethoven - Symphony No.9. Nikolaus Harnoncourt / The Chamber Orchestra of Europe. The performance and recording are both excellent; with a relatively small orchestra, simulating Beethoven's period.

Renee Fleming. Excerpts from various operas - Pucchini, Massenet, Bizet, Verdi, et al. If you would like some classical vocal. Excellent recording, too.

Last edited by sushi; 08/29/03 02:50 AM.
#15128 08/29/03 04:59 AM
hobbyist
hobbyist
As a church organist, I have to throw my two cents in.

Durufle Requiem-IMHO, the most beautiful setting of the requiem out there. Be sure to get the Robert Shaw recording with the Atlanta Symphony.

R. Vaughan Williams, A Sea Symphony-Very exciting, you need the Andrew Davis recording, with the waves and shore on the cover.

You can't go wrong with Bach or Mendelssohn organ works, just make sure you have your subwoofer on for those 32' pedal notes.

#15129 08/29/03 11:25 AM
old hand
old hand
Weebo:

Just a few favourites from what I have. I will not repost what I had earlier in this thread. These recommendations (if you can call it that) should be "safe" if you like LvB's 9th or the Nutcracker Suite

Dvorak Symphony 9 (LSO/Kondrashin) and American Suite (RPO/Dorati) on Decca
Tchaikovsky Complete Nutcracker (Kirov/Pletnev) on Philips -- fits on one CD!!
Beethoven Symphony 5 & 9 (WP/Kleiber) on DG
Strauss Eine Alpensinfonie (WP/Thielemann) on DG
Sibelius Tone Poems (Philharmonia/Ashkenzay) should be now on 2 Double Decca CDs

Just a few ideas. Good luck!

Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020