Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Seperates with HDMI switching but no........
#151808 11/22/06 05:47 PM
M
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
M
......Video processing.

I'm beginning to think this doesn't exist, but I'm looking for just that, separates with HDMI gazinto's and gazouta's but no video processing.

I use an external video processor and have found that HDMI, (besides being a POS, inbred mistake and totally botched roll out)....is the future and we're all stuck with it.

I need to input all my devises into the VP so that I can set them up differently (calibration, input and output aspect ratios, interlacing, etc..). From the VP, the video signal goes to my projector via HDMI. I would like to route the HDMI to a pre-amp first so that I can get full HD Dolby to it. The VP will only output the full audio via HDMI.

So I'm looking for a set up that will "pass" a clean HDMI video signal to the projector without messing with it, but process the audio in the latest greatest Dolby / DTS formats.

Seeing how I've got a HK 745 in the mail to me replacing my dead 7300, I figured I might as well look at buying something different and selling the HK while it's still "new in the box". After two HK flagship AVRs dieing on me, I'm ready to try something different.

Re: Seperates with HDMI switching but no........
michael_d #151809 11/22/06 09:54 PM
aficionado
aficionado
it wont strip the audio but emotiva has a new pre/pro that has just an internal hdmi swither built in the model is the MMC-1 www.emotiva.com

------------------------------------------------
Leave the gun, Take the canolis.
snakeyes #151810 11/22/06 10:30 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
EDIT: I just had a thought, I know that if you input HDMI, I don't know of any A/V receivers that will mess with the signal, if you feed it HDMI, it will output what you feed it. But (like the RX-V2600) if you input composite, it will upscale it to 720p/1080i (if you want it to).

The new RX-V2700 has 1080p pass through.

I know the Pioneer vsx 1016 does HDMI passthrough with 1080p with no messing with the video signal (when coming in through HDMI).

I think it would drive your M80s, but to get higher volumes you would need some separate amps to power your M80s if you go that route.

This is an entry level receiver with a good bang for your buck. Not sure if you are looking to get a "low end" receiver.

One more thing, If I were you, I would wait on getting a new receiver with HDMI in it. HDMI 1.3 just got released and non of the new receivers coming out have the 1.3 chips in them. I would at least wait until you can get one with the 1.3 HDMI.

Last edited by Hutzal; 11/22/06 10:38 PM.

Producer | Composer
www.robbhutzal.com
Hutzal #151811 11/23/06 06:18 PM
M
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
M
Those Emotiva’s look pretty cool, but I think it’s odd that they would go as far as integrating HDMI switching, but no processing of that signal or stripping of the audio. That pretty much defeats what I’m trying to do. I need a Pre/Pro that will process the HDMI audio, but pass the video unadulterated.

After reading through the HK 745 owner’s manual, it does have a HDMI video Bypass option. This thing might work after all. I suppose I might as well give it a whirl. Looking through all the improved bass management functions it has in addition to improved audio memory over previous HK's, this machine looks promising.

Are you sure about HDMI 1.3 needing a different chipset and not just firmware changes? I wouldn’t be surprised if it does require a different chip seeing how badly its roll out was handled. One would think that with the millions of HDMI 1.1 units in homes nowadays, that 1.3 would have been planned around firmware though….

michael_d #151812 11/23/06 08:37 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
>>Are you sure about HDMI 1.3 needing a different chipset and not just firmware changes?

100% sure. They think it will be the last revision to the HDMI technology. It cannot be updated through a firmware update, it is a new chip intirely.

New HDMI 1.3 capabilities include:

*Higher speed: HDMI 1.3 increases its single-link bandwidth from 165MHz (4.95 gigabits per second) to 340 MHz (10.2 Gbps) to support the demands of future high definition display devices, such as higher resolutions, Deep Color and high frame rates. In addition, built into the HDMI 1.3 specification is the technical foundation that will let future versions of HDMI reach significantly higher speeds.

*Deep color: HDMI 1.3 supports 30-bit, 36-bit and 48-bit (RGB or YCbCr) color depths, up from the 24-bit depths in previous versions of the HDMI specification.
o Lets HDTVs and other displays go from millions of colors to billions of colors
oEliminates on-screen color banding, for smooth tonal transitions and subtle gradations between colors
oEnables increased contrast ratio
oCan represent many times more shades of gray between black and white. At 30-bit pixel depth, four times more shades of gray would be the minimum, and the typical improvement would be eight times or more

*Broader color space: HDMI 1.3 removes virtually all limits on color selection.
oNext-generation “xvYCC” color space supports 1.8 times as many colors as existing HDTV signals
oLets HDTVs display colors more accurately
oEnables displays with more natural and vivid colors

*New mini connector: With small portable devices such as HD camcorders and still cameras demanding seamless connectivity to HDTVs, HDMI 1.3 offers a new, smaller form factor connector option.

*Lip Sync: Because consumer electronics devices are using increasingly complex digital signal processing to enhance the clarity and detail of the content, synchronization of video and audio in user devices has become a greater challenge and could potentially require complex end-user adjustments. HDMI 1.3 incorporates an automatic audio/video synching capability that allows devices to perform this synchronization automatically with accuracy.

*New lossless audio formats: In addition to HDMI’s current ability to support high-bandwidth uncompressed digital audio and currently-available compressed formats (such as Dolby® Digital and DTS), HDMI 1.3 adds additional support for new, lossless compressed digital audio formats Dolby® TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio™.

Producer | Composer
www.robbhutzal.com
Hutzal #151813 11/23/06 11:28 PM
M
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
M
Quote:

>>Are you sure about HDMI 1.3 needing a different chipset and not just firmware changes?

100% sure. They think it will be the last revision to the HDMI technology. It cannot be updated through a firmware update, it is a new chip intirely.

Sonofabitch!!!!! them dirty rotten ........

and I supose HDMI 2.0 will have to take a new chip as well.

michael_d #151814 11/23/06 11:55 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
>>Sonofabitch!!!!! them dirty rotten ........

and I supose HDMI 2.0 will have to take a new chip as well.>>

Yes, HDMI 1.2 Is probably a new chip as well I think. Just because your receiver will have HDMI 1.1 ( I would check on that because 1.1 is pretty much on all newer receivers) doesn't mean you can't still use the HDMI technology in the future, You just won't get the full benefits. (For your info, HDMI 1.2 came and went pretty fast I think)

Right now, the only multimedia machine with HDMI 1.3 is the Playstation 3 and I think the newer versions of HD DVD players from Toshiba have the 1.3 chip set.

I am not sure when the new recievers with the 1.3 chipset will start to roll out, but It will probably be up to at least 6 months from now because the playstaion 3 production is consuming nearly all the HDMI 1.3 chips that are being manufactured (read this somewhere too, haha).

The double whammy is that your display needs HDMI 1.3 as well to give you the added benefits. So since you have a Panny AE900 and the Oppo 971 (both with HDMI 1.1 probably) you shouldn't worry about HDMI 1.3 until you want to upgrade your projector and reciever and Oppo (to the Oppo 981 Which I think will have HDMI 1.3).

SO the bottom line is, don't worry about HDMI 1.3 for now, by the time it is widely available to the public, it will probably be late 2007 and then you can decide to upgrade your display to a HDMI 1.3 and your Reciever to HDMI 1.3.

And if you want to upgrade your projector, then by that time you should probably get a 1080p projector with HDMI 1.3.

The List goes on and on!!

Producer | Composer
www.robbhutzal.com
Hutzal #151815 11/24/06 04:10 AM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
Reasons 1 through 30 why I'm not touching a new display until enough early adopters have dulled that cutting edge.

Bren R.

Hutzal #151816 11/24/06 07:24 PM
M
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
M
I found the units I want. To hell with all this HDMI upgrading BS. 1.1 is good enough for me.

I'm drooling over the NAD Master Series M15 Pre and M25 7 channel amp. They have everything I want, the flexibility I want, HDMI switching, but no HDMI video processing. And damn sexy looking to boot!

Only $6000 for the set.....Ouch

My second choice is the Rotel RSX-1057 AVR with a RB 1092 amp for the mains. Same thing, HDMI switching but no processing. I don't know what these run for yet. Still waiting for a call back from my dealer.

michael_d #151817 11/24/06 08:00 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Mike, here's the Rotel price list as of March '06 ... usually the dealer sells 'em for these prices, unless of course you happen to live way up yonder where just a hand full of folks reside.

Rotel Price List

Rick
Our Room

smile
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,939
Posts442,452