dllewel #153130 12/08/06 02:39 AM
J
Joey_V Offline OP
hobbyist
OP Offline
hobbyist
J
Quote:

Interesting thread, great pics and comments. I have one suggestion- with the money invested in audio gear, you owe it to yourself to get some sound absorbtion treatments for the front and sidewalls. It looks like it would have a harsh impact on your sound.

Thanks for sharing this.

Thanks man!

Regarding the room treatments, note that I'm still in college and this dorm is temporary. Once I graduate med school, then I move to my own place and then I can go ahead with the treatments. But, without treatments, things still sound good here. There isnt as much room-induced "echoes" in my bedroom compared to my living room (where my system was originally situated, but then subsequently removed).

Joey

2-CH:
SB3+PSA DAC3/Scoutmaster TT -> Cary SLP98P -> Plinius SA102 -> Martin Logan Summit/AV123 Mini
Re: M3ti vs Strata Mini (vs ML Summits)
BrenR #153131 12/08/06 02:45 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Now Bren, tell me what you REALLY think.

An interesting post Joey, but yes, grains and bags of salt considering the setup. Everything from the room to the switching method and of course, blind testing, need be controlled to produce a truly honest result (honest such that the conclusion is independant of our own brain's ability to form conclusions based solely on sight or knowledge of what is in front of us).
Aside from that, the mere size and technology you are comparing is like saying, hey, what is a better road vehicle, this 18 wheeler semi or the Honda Civic?
Those speakers are so incredibly different, apples and bowling balls would be the best analogy.

BUT, the post was interesting to hear your thoughts. Colourful at times, may require definition of some words, but interesting.

Personally i love the Plinius amps. Something about the aesthetics, but they cost about 450% more than they are worth and burn about 350% more electricity than my house in a week.

Great pictures.

Last edited by chesseroo; 12/08/06 02:46 AM.
Joey_V #153132 12/08/06 03:15 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Wow, very interesting, Joey, thanks. It's easy to enjoy a speaker when it is the only one you have. Once you have another to do an immediate comparison with, things get complicated. There will always be things you like about a certain speaker and things you don't. Sometimes those differences become more apparent when there is a measuring stick. In the end, good speakers will still sound good by themselves. Another speaker may do the same thing(s), but maybe do those things a bit better. When that measuring stick is removed, well, you still have good sound.

Tough speaker comparison in terms of price, but we knew that going in. You hear what you hear and that is that. I think secretly we want the M3s to be very close to the two other speakers (I always root for the underdog), but when you pay that much for the other speakers you should expect to hear something a little different. Respectively, all three speakers probably sound pretty good given their range and purpose.

"Nothin' up my sleeve. . ." --Bullwinkle J. Moose
Joey_V #153133 12/08/06 04:25 AM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Joey, your quarters are a bit tight, but our college student Dan(danmagicman7)makes your setup look spacious indeed. It was interesting to read Attorney(if he's already passed his bar exam)Matt's impressions and the question now would be if he's going to wait and save up a couple more years for those Summits. Thanks for sharing the experience.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

chesseroo #153134 12/08/06 05:15 AM
J
Joey_V Offline OP
hobbyist
OP Offline
hobbyist
J
Quote:

An interesting post Joey, but yes, grains and bags of salt considering the setup. Everything from the room to the switching method and of course, blind testing, need be controlled to produce a truly honest result (honest such that the conclusion is independant of our own brain's ability to form conclusions based solely on sight or knowledge of what is in front of us).

Personally i love the Plinius amps. Something about the aesthetics, but they cost about 450% more than they are worth and burn about 350% more electricity than my house in a week.

Great pictures.

1. For sure man... no way can you take the review without atleast a gallon of salt. It wasnt as controlled as a true double blind A/B could be, different positions for the speakers, the lag time between speaker changes. I hear ya...

Remember, that's not the point of the session... it's just that the guy wanted to get a good grip on how each sounded in the same room with the same equipment and I think Attorney Matt (passed the BAR) got just that.

I will comment on one thing though, Chess, no matter how tightly done the A/B was (double blind, no lag, blah blah blah), I can guarantee you that the conclusion of that "study" would be applicable ONLY to the listener at the time of the study and not to be taken as the representative whole. Even if it was double blind A/B with no faults, the fact that ours ears are different would be enough to refute any widespread generalizations based on said study.

In the end, what I'm trying to say is, double blind or not, gallons of salt is always needed.

2. Also, though you may think the speakers are apples and oranges, in the end, a speaker is supposed to reproduce sound. Most, if not all, speaker companies all strive for one thing: Reproduce sound as good as possible most probably through being as transparent as possible. In this light, though the 2 speakers (M3 and Mini) are apples and oranges in terms of price brackets, the two are similar enough in their singular goal of musical reproduction.

3. Plinius amps may cost quite a bit, but considering what all the other amps cost out there (Krell, Classe, Musical Fidelity), I would say they are worth every penny I saved up to get them. The Plinius I bought was a store demo ($2500 shipped from a'gon, $6K brand new down the street!) and came with full 7 years parts AND labor warranty. Who gives you 7 years of full coverage? The only other company to do better than that is Bryston with its 20. ALso, you must know that the Plinius come with a bias switch that can alternate between full Class A (hence, eat up more electricity than your house) or full Class AB (efficient). I leave it on AB for most of the time and switch to Class A for critical listening times.

4. Thanks regarding the pics!

Joey

2-CH:
SB3+PSA DAC3/Scoutmaster TT -> Cary SLP98P -> Plinius SA102 -> Martin Logan Summit/AV123 Mini
St_PatGuy #153135 12/08/06 05:22 AM
J
Joey_V Offline OP
hobbyist
OP Offline
hobbyist
J
Quote:

Respectively, all three speakers probably sound pretty good given their range and purpose.

Exactly my point...

Thanks!
Joey

2-CH:
JohnK #153136 12/08/06 05:24 AM
J
Joey_V Offline OP
hobbyist
OP Offline
hobbyist
J
Quote:

Joey, your quarters are a bit tight, but our college student Dan(danmagicman7)makes your setup look spacious indeed. It was interesting to read Attorney(if he's already passed his bar exam)Matt's impressions and the question now would be if he's going to wait and save up a couple more years for those Summits. Thanks for sharing the experience.

I'm not sure what he will do, whether he will spring for the Minis or go out and audition a pair of the Axiom M80s. Only problem is that it's hard to get an audition in Chicago, I dont think we have M80s around our city... I dont think Matt likes the idea of buying sight seen, but sound unheard... which is why he opted to listen to the Minis before plopping the $2K.

Regarding the Summits, I know we were joking about this, but he told me to contact him when I was going to sell the Summits. I told him that I probably will especially since I'm waiting impatiently for the next top of the line Martin Logan to come out (which is coming out in the next 2 years).

Joey

2-CH:
Joey_V #153137 12/08/06 05:45 AM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
Quote:

So, instead of pointing out that this may be a troll or a deragatory post against Axiom, know that this post from me was more of a "fun" thread. No harm intended whatsoever.

I distinctly said I wasn't calling you a troll, or trying to shut down your freedom of speech. I just thought it was an odd thing to post here... and seemed to be a very strange matchup for speakers.

And the tube joke, well, that's just par for the course.

Bren R.

BrenR #153138 12/08/06 06:44 AM
J
Joey_V Offline OP
hobbyist
OP Offline
hobbyist
J
Quote:

Quote:

So, instead of pointing out that this may be a troll or a deragatory post against Axiom, know that this post from me was more of a "fun" thread. No harm intended whatsoever.

I distinctly said I wasn't calling you a troll, or trying to shut down your freedom of speech. I just thought it was an odd thing to post here... and seemed to be a very strange matchup for speakers.

And the tube joke, well, that's just par for the course.

Bren R.

Bren,

Gotcha. Odd or not, I posted it because it has Axiom involved. That's all. No need to overanalyze.

Joey

2-CH:
Joey_V #153139 12/08/06 01:12 PM
local
local
Shoot out between a $300 Vs $1600 speakers?

Shrugs.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,477
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020