Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: M3ti vs Strata Mini (vs ML Summits)
KC23 #153140 12/08/06 04:23 PM
J
J
Hey guys, Attorney Matt here. I felt the need to get Joey's back a bit, since I think he's taking heat for some stuff that I said.

First of all, it's not supposed to be a fair comparison. I want to upgrade my speakers. The point of the comparison was to see how much better the Strata Minis are. That I got to listen to the Martin Logans was just a nice bonus.

Everything Joey has said here is true. I won't repost detailed listening impressions. I will say that although his room situation is not ideal, mine isn't either. Speaker positioning is important, but I thought our test was decently fair; we did use a freakin' laser to line up the axioms. The only thing I would change is having the Logans so close behind the axioms. The rear firing port had about ten inches before it hit the Logans, and I'm not sure what effect this had.

It is important to me to get away from the Axiom's bright sound. Call it forward, detailed, or whatever, but at times it seems shrill to me. The Clapton/King track we listened to exhibited this quality. Clapton's voice was just unbearably bright to me. The minis are more laid back, but I'm not sure I would call them warm. Just less forward than the Axioms, and I really appreciated that quality. Therefore the m80's are out of the question, and like I said, my room is small, way too small for m80's.

So, back to my main point: the reason for the test was to see how much better the minis are, in case I want to upgrade. They are better, especially in the bass department. No surprise there. They image better, the soundstage is more realistic... they are a high end pair speakers. I was impressed with how well the Axioms performed on certain tracks, but I never expected them to keep up with the minis, and for the most part they didn't.

It was really great to hear the difference between a $320 ($275 when I got them) pair of speakers, a $1900 (once you get them shipped) pair, and a $10,000 pair. We should all be so lucky. No, it wasn't double blind scientific listening, but anybody on this board would have been able to tell which speaker was which anyways; that's what a built in subwoofer will do for you.

So I'm ready for an upgrade, and the minis just might fit the bill.

Njoe Tjoeb 4000->NAD C370->Axiom M3ti
jadalias #153141 12/08/06 06:31 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
I enjoyed reading your opinions, and appreciate you sharing them.

You guys have more money and better ears than I do.

Hope you will enjoy whatever you decide to get.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
tomtuttle #153142 12/08/06 08:02 PM
J
Joey_V Offline OP
hobbyist
OP Offline
hobbyist
J
Quote:

I enjoyed reading your opinions, and appreciate you sharing them.

You guys have more money and better ears than I do.

Hope you will enjoy whatever you decide to get.

Trust me, my good man, ears have nothing to do with how much is spent. You could very well have better ears than me, I wouldnt put it past you.

Jadalias aka Atty Matt,
Thanks for stopping by, getting me to hear the Axiom sound again was a great experience. Let me know about our plans for Saturday.... you know what I'm talking about.

I'll email you a bit later.

Glad you got my back though... I tried my best to be truthful/word-for-word about all your comments that I presented here.

Joey

2-CH:
SB3+PSA DAC3/Scoutmaster TT -> Cary SLP98P -> Plinius SA102 -> Martin Logan Summit/AV123 Mini
jadalias #153143 12/08/06 08:05 PM
J
Joey_V Offline OP
hobbyist
OP Offline
hobbyist
J
Quote:

Speaker positioning is important, but I thought our test was decently fair; we did use a freakin' laser to line up the axioms.

Yes we did... lol! I still need to come up with some algorithm or method of traingulating the speakers and sweetspot better.

Joey

2-CH:
SB3+PSA DAC3/Scoutmaster TT -> Cary SLP98P -> Plinius SA102 -> Martin Logan Summit/AV123 Mini
jadalias #153144 12/08/06 08:07 PM
HAY Offline
aficionado
aficionado
Quote:

It is important to me to get away from the Axiom's bright sound. Call it forward, detailed, or whatever, but at times it seems shrill to me. The Clapton/King track we listened to exhibited this quality. Clapton's voice was just unbearably bright to me. The minis are more laid back, but I'm not sure I would call them warm. Just less forward than the Axioms, and I really appreciated that quality. Therefore the m80's are out of the question, and like I said, my room is small, way too small for m80's.

Those Minis are very nice looking speakers and this is in no way to sway your decision on what to buy. But if you like your Axioms but just want something a little more laid back...then aren't the M50's the speaker for that? Also at a much lower price.

I could care less whether you buy Axioms or not, but that would seem to be more of a comparison for what you were testing for. Enjoy testing new brands, making new friends and hopefully you'll find what you're looking for.

High Gloss Cherry
M60 VP150 QS8
Open for Auditions but please don't drool on the High Gloss
HAY #153145 12/08/06 08:50 PM
shareholder in the making
The M50s wouldn't be more laid back than the M3s, though. They're part of the same group of (well, 2 now) speakers that lacks the 5.25" mid. In short, they sound pretty similar, although with more bass extension.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
jadalias #153146 12/09/06 02:16 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Quote:

First of all, it's not supposed to be a fair comparison. I want to upgrade my speakers. The point of the comparison was to see how much better the Strata Minis are.

So you went into the listening session already assuming the Minis were better?
Like i said, blind testing, even if crudely done produces amazingly different results. There are no 'golden ears' lads.

Quote:

It is important to me to get away from the Axiom's bright sound. Call it forward, detailed, or whatever, but at times it seems shrill to me

I had found this as well with the Axioms YET in a blind test with other speakers, i did not choose which speaker was the Axiom when music was playing because the tweeters from the other brands actually had a greater level of detail. The Axiom tweeter in comparison (fast A/B switching) sounded almost muted. Amazing though how my brain thinks "Axiom--bright" yet when the images were taken away and the speaker put into comparison, i would use a word like "muted" to describe them.
Don't underestimate the power of the brain to direct the sub-conscious. We can be honest in our hearts but can our brain be honest with us?
Oooh, so profound.

I'm just waiting for Bren's next comment.

Plinius, oh Plinius? I think it sounds like a great name for a dog.

Last edited by chesseroo; 12/09/06 02:18 AM.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
chesseroo #153147 12/09/06 04:05 AM
Quote:

There are no 'golden ears' lads.

Hmmmph.

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
MarkSJohnson #153148 12/09/06 04:27 AM
axiomite
axiomite
LOL! Well OK. Maybe one.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
chesseroo #153149 12/09/06 07:41 AM
J
Joey_V Offline OP
hobbyist
OP Offline
hobbyist
J
Quote:

I'm just waiting for Bren's next comment.

Plinius, oh Plinius? I think it sounds like a great name for a dog.

You got me rolling on the floor with that one.... .

Joey

2-CH:
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,473
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (Kodiak), 532 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup