Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: M3ti vs Strata Mini (vs ML Summits)
chesseroo #153150 12/09/06 07:52 AM
J
J
Quote:

So you went into the listening session already assuming the Minis were better?

Sorry man, but like I said, when you're comparing a bookshelf speaker to a tower with a built in sub, anyone could tell the difference between the two, blind or no. It's not voodoo, it's bass. And yeah, forgive me, but I assumed a $1600 speaker was going to be better than a $300 speaker. Before you ask, better = better soundstage, better imaging, more realistic sound, and decent low frequency output. The M3's are impressive for their price level, but it's not really shocking that a speaker five times as expensive showed the M3's up.

Njoe Tjoeb 4000->NAD C370->Axiom M3ti
jadalias #153151 12/09/06 08:13 AM
shareholder in the making
Counselor, welcome. Ideally we would test even items which do differ in sound(speakers)using controlled blind methodology and demand proof(as we do in court). One paper by Dr. Toole relates to this and you might find it interesting. Note especially at p.10 where the previous major differences in the ratings narrowed greatly or reversed when the same speakers had their identities(and pricetags)concealed. Good luck in the practice.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

JohnK #153152 12/09/06 09:50 AM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
Ouch, this'll get ugly... JohnK, the resident solicitor, jadalias who I seem to understand is currently in law school, and me - I'm engaged to a lawyer... that means I'm the only one with enough previous experience to DUCK!

And sorry to disappoint, Chess... I've said all I want to on the topic... I brought up how odd I thought the whole posting was, my pushing it any farther would seem to call Joey's intent into question... I'll defend to the death his right to post his opinion... well, okay, maybe not to the death... but to a nasty bruise...

Bren R.

BrenR #153153 12/09/06 02:34 PM
And I still say that all of this could've been avoided if the post was simply titled a "listening session" instead of a "shootout".... because it sounds like that's what it was.

It's all good....

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
BrenR #153154 12/09/06 04:12 PM
J
Joey_V Offline OP
hobbyist
OP Offline
hobbyist
J
Quote:

Ouch, this'll get ugly... JohnK, the resident solicitor, jadalias who I seem to understand is currently in law school, and me - I'm engaged to a lawyer... that means I'm the only one with enough previous experience to DUCK!

And sorry to disappoint, Chess... I've said all I want to on the topic... I brought up how odd I thought the whole posting was, my pushing it any farther would seem to call Joey's intent into question... I'll defend to the death his right to post his opinion... well, okay, maybe not to the death... but to a nasty bruise...

Bren R.

1. Matt is a lawyer, he's done with law school.
2. This doesnt have to get ugly, honest. Leave it as a shootout/listening session. Semantics are semantics and leave all hard feelings at the door. The M3 held their own, period.
3. Thanks for that last comment, Bren. You're a good guy.

Joey

2-CH:
SB3+PSA DAC3/Scoutmaster TT -> Cary SLP98P -> Plinius SA102 -> Martin Logan Summit/AV123 Mini
MarkSJohnson #153155 12/09/06 04:14 PM
J
Joey_V Offline OP
hobbyist
OP Offline
hobbyist
J
Quote:

And I still say that all of this could've been avoided if the post was simply titled a "listening session" instead of a "shootout".... because it sounds like that's what it was.

It's all good....

Mark,

If that's what it was, then it was just a listening session. No one needs to get riled up about this. Two guys meet with a dedication to the hobby that we all share, listen to some speakers, and posted their opinion about them.

That's all, period.

It's not a rift-causing, chiasm-widening act.... it's a simple post. Salt by the gallons and what not.

Joey

2-CH:
SB3+PSA DAC3/Scoutmaster TT -> Cary SLP98P -> Plinius SA102 -> Martin Logan Summit/AV123 Mini
Joey_V #153156 12/09/06 05:36 PM
I'm going with the popcorn eating.

I must admire the lengths to which the posters in this thread are going to be civil. Nice change from even a year ago (not looking at any specific posters, note.)

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
Joey_V #153157 12/10/06 06:50 PM
J
J
I am impressed that the M3's actually were noticed considering what they were palyed with. I am also a little concerned that Matt didn't even consider a floor stander from Axiom but I too, if I ahd the chance, would consider a set of those mini's if I could afford them and that is what Axiom is about best sound for the money spent. Now with th wood venners I think Axiom now may need to rethink the electronics behind the drivers to see if a little more spent there would achieve a sound more similar to their pricer counter parts or the drivers themselves, to cover the spectrum of sales. Not sure if this would be a good thing or bad thing though.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
jakewash #153158 12/10/06 08:52 PM
Oh, I think that what is being compared here is a different philosophy in speaker design. The M80s can hold their own against other, more expensive speakers. However, the design goals here appear to be different--Axiom looks for, ultimately, the most linear reproduction possible. Other speaker manufacturers may edge towards tailoring the sound to be more warm or laid back. I don't expect Axiom to ever go that route.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
Ken.C #153159 12/12/06 09:25 AM
devotee
devotee
Interesting read, but I pretty much take all speaker reviews with a grain of salt, I find it very hard to use words to describe how something seconds, especially when it's words like "metallic" and "gritty". Perhaps it's just me though.

What matters is you enjoyed yourself, so cheers for that

- D

"Big John is my Idol...or is it that other way around? Let's ask Ray!"
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617