Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: HT component recommendations
jmone #153737 12/17/06 08:56 PM
R
connoisseur
connoisseur
R
Dean,

If you decide on the MX-850 or MX-900, I'll be happy to help you with the programming.

If you PM me, I will email you a sheet I put together that provides a little narrative about the power of the units. BTW, you can download files that users have put together and uploaded to Remote Central.

There is a spectacular file there for Denon commands. Every known command.

Ray

Ray3 #153738 12/17/06 09:54 PM
grunt Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur

@ Nathan
Good advice Nathan. I’m probably not buying the HTPC until windows vista is available preinstalled. And then maybe not until the first round of bugs are worked out. I will either be building my own system or buying and customizing a Dell since I get a 10% discount at Dell. But I will definitely start a new post on it.

@ Ray
I was just reading the reviews at Remote Central when you posted. I didn’t know what the “files” tab was but I do now. Looks like that will make things so much easier.

Sent you a PM for your info.

Dean

3M80 2M22 6QS8 2M2 1EP500 Sony BDP-S590 Panny-7000 Onkyo-3007 Carada-134 Xbox Buttkicker AS-EQ1
grunt #153739 12/18/06 02:57 AM
local
local
I just wanted to drop a vote for a harmony remote. I have the 682 and would like to move to the 1000 in the future. I love mine, and every time I hook it up to my laptop and go searching for more codes or to tweak my configuration I remember that it's one of my favorite electronics purchases in the last few years.

Not sure how familiar you are with remote controls, but the harmony remotes are based on the idea of "activity based" control. IE - 'I want to watch TV' which at the push of (the corresponding) button configures all your gear for this purpose and sets the remote to control this gear.

Their online database is huge and it's so easy to find your gear, tweak the setup, and download to the remote.

As far as the PS3/360 debate...I have a PS3, but haven't been able to fully utilize it yet. My jumbotron should be here this week In the end I think there's room for both in my setup though!

My M60's make me listen
My M80's make my ears hear
Either way - I'm not deaf anymore
x94blair3 #153740 12/18/06 06:55 PM
grunt Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Well I made the big purchase today. I ordered the following from the factory outlet.
2 x M80s
1 x VP150
2 x QS8s
1 x EP500
2 x FMSQSs

Sadly I won’t be seeing them until some time in February. Not Axioms fault as I will be traveling when they likely could have shipped them. Now I wish I would have just ordered them a month ago when I first figured I would buy them. Just wanted to take the time to ensure I was getting what I really wanted.

Thanks for all the help so far especially the reality check on the subwoofer and 5.1. Now if I upgrade to 7.1 later 2 more QS8s and 2 stands will already put me 4 items toward the 5 needed for the discount.

@ Tarun
Who did you order your Denon AVR 2807 from? I haven’t order any AV equipment online before and could use some advice from those of you who have.

@Nick
Thanks for your vote I’m still looking at all options. My familiarity with remotes is only what I read yesterday and the fact that I am already getting sick of using three remotes with at least two more on the way. While researching I had read that a universal remote was almost a necessity and now I‘m a believer.

3M80 2M22 6QS8 2M2 1EP500 Sony BDP-S590 Panny-7000 Onkyo-3007 Carada-134 Xbox Buttkicker AS-EQ1
grunt #153741 12/18/06 07:46 PM
local
local
Quote:

Well I made the big purchase today. I ordered the following from the factory outlet.
2 x M80s
1 x VP150
2 x QS8s
1 x EP500
2 x FMSQSs

Sadly I won’t be seeing them until some time in February. Not Axioms fault as I will be traveling when they likely could have shipped them. Now I wish I would have just ordered them a month ago when I first figured I would buy them. Just wanted to take the time to ensure I was getting what I really wanted.

Thanks for all the help so far especially the reality check on the subwoofer and 5.1. Now if I upgrade to 7.1 later 2 more QS8s and 2 stands will already put me 4 items toward the 5 needed for the discount.

@ Tarun
Who did you order your Denon AVR 2807 from? I haven’t order any AV equipment online before and could use some advice from those of you who have.

@Nick
Thanks for your vote I’m still looking at all options. My familiarity with remotes is only what I read yesterday and the fact that I am already getting sick of using three remotes with at least two more on the way. While researching I had read that a universal remote was almost a necessity and now I‘m a believer.

GRUNT,

I ordered from dakmart.com.
Came perfectly to me and the staff were helpful.

-------------------------------------
Denon 4308
M80x2,VP150,EP600,4xQS8
Tarun #153742 12/18/06 09:24 PM
grunt Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Quote:

GRUNT,

I ordered from dakmart.com.
Came perfectly to me and the staff were helpful.

Tarun,

Thanks, I just ordered mine.

Also ordered the Oppo 981

My credit card company called right after that checking to see if I was suddenly making a bunch of purchases.

grunt #153743 12/18/06 09:52 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Dean,
Sounds like you have a great setup on the way, Of course we will want pictures and a review when everything arrives.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
HomeDad #153744 12/28/06 03:30 AM
grunt Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Quote:

Dean,
Sounds like you have a great setup on the way, Of course we will want pictures and a review when everything arrives.

@ Ray & Mike
Thanks for the advice I ordered the MX-950 with the MRF 350. Called and talked to Mike at surfremotcontrol.com and was very happy with the price.

@ Michael
When I get the speakers I will definitely take some pictures. Hopefully I will have my “Home Theater” (apartment) room complete by then. I did about 95% of the work over Christmas but for me it’s always the last details over which I procrastinate.

I am very happy with the Oppo 981. I thought that the picture from my computer DVD player was good but the Oppo just blows it away. I ordered it at 2pm the Monday before Christmas and it shipped at 5pm that same day. I think it’s a great value already and don’t even have the receiver and speakers to use with it yet.

I also picked up a Buttkicker LFE Kit at a local store. No one had looked at it since I did a month ago so they gave me 10% off. Since I don’t have a couch yet (part of the 5% left to do) I shoved it between the mattress box springs of my bed/couch (I’m a bachelor so I can get away with it).

I didn’t know what to expect when I hooked it up to the subwoofer output on the Oppo, setting all the speakers to small and set the Buttkicker amp half way up. When the DVD started there was an audio intro with a lightning bolt and thunderclap. I’m not startled easily but I must say it scared the crap out of me. So I turned it down to about 1/4 and watched some movies.

Remember I don’t have a receiver or good speakers yet. First I watched “Revenge of the Sith” and wasn’t to impressed. It seemed the Buttkicker’s response was somewhat haphazardly integrated with the video. Then I watched “The Fifth Element” and I must say I was very impressed. The Buttkicker’s response was very tightly integrated with the movie and greatly enhanced the overall presentation especially considering I don’t yet have a subwoofer.

One of the reasons I got the Buttkicker was that I read it can help make up for not being able to play a subwoofer at reasonable levels in an apartment so I turned all the other speakers off and just listened for the Buttkicker. Sitting on the bed felt like there was a powerful subwoofer right there with me but when I got up I could barely hear anything. I put my ear to the floor and the walls and could here absolutely nothing. This was at a power level that felt perfect for the movie.

I wouldn’t substitute the Buttkicker for a subwoofer but for my situation in an apartment I think it is well worth it.

I also had hooked up an old “boom box” to use as surround speakers so I got a taste of 5.1. Why did I have to sign up to go to Turkey? I want to stay here and get my Axiom speakers now.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,473
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters