Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
HT component recommendations
#153727 12/16/06 11:11 PM
grunt Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
I’ve been mostly lurking around here for a while figuring out what speakers to buy. I think I’m ready to take the leap but just wanted to get opinions/recommendation and a reality check. I based my initial research on the Audioholics recommended 5k budget system but have made some changes and upgrades. This is where I first saw the Axiom line.

Presently I live in an apartment with neighbors left, right and below but may be buying a house in the next year or two if the right one comes along. The volume of my HT room is 2640 cu ft (15 x 22 x 8), however, about 25% is taken up by the kitchen leaving a usable area of 15 x 12 ft. The whole floor is carpeted with only the furniture I choose to put in there. When I buy a house the only thing I wont be willing to do in making a dedicated HT room is knock down any load bearing walls.

I’m willing to pay about $8,300 to $10,000 USD for all my HT components right now more to upgrade later. The following is what I have and/or am thinking of getting. Recommendations on changing, adding or deleting anything are welcome.

Already Have:
HDTV: Samsung HL-S5687 $1,740
HDDVR: DirectTV HR20 $100
TV stand $280
Cables: $25
Total $2,145

What I need:
Speakers: Epic 80 - ??? 5.1 plus 2FMSQS stands $3,172 (factory outlet)
Receiver: looking at a Denon AVR-2807 $950
DVD player: looking at Oppo-981 $229
Calibration: Avia HT setup DVD + Radio Shack SPL meter $80
Power conditioner/Surge suppressor: ???
Cables ???
Total $4,431

What I might want:
Universal remote: ???
Tactile transducer: Clark model ???
Amp for transducer: ???
Media center computer: Dell ???
Game machine: Xbox 360 or PS3 ???

My current plan is to get the Epic 80 - ??? components plus 2 FMSQS stands from the factory outlet right now. I know this is overkill for an apartment but if I do buy a house I don’t want to feel the need to upgrade the speakers so soon. Later I will upgrade with two additional QS8 and stands, and perhaps another VP150 and subwoofer.

My questions are:

7.1 SURROUND:
Is there any great advantage in a 15 x 12 room to having two rear speakers if I’m already using two QS8s as LH/RH surrounds?

SUBWOOFER:
EP350, EP500 or EP600. Ultimately, I would like to have the EP600. Considering that for now I’ll have to run all these speakers at fairly low levels most of the time is there any advantage to getting the EP600 now, or get a smaller sub and add the EP600 later?

HDDVD:
Is it really worth getting one? My gut tells me to wait for more models and titles to come out and for HDMI to get it’s act together meaning my money is better spent elsewhere for now.

Again, any and all recommendations are welcome. And thanks in advance for all the great info I’ve already found searching this forum and Axiom site.

Re: HT component recommendations
grunt #153728 12/17/06 12:10 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
First off take all my answers with the proverbial grain of salt. Having said that I'll go ahead and try and answer your questions.

You Asked: Is there any great advantage in a 15 x 12 room to having two rear speakers if I’m already using two QS8s as LH/RH surrounds?
My experience says "no" for movies as there isn't a lot of info in the back channels and in a small room the QS8s do a stellar job of filling in the sides and back of the room. Possibly for music you might make a case but I feel that you need a large room before you really "need" a 7.1 setup. I'd wait until you get a house with a larger room before going to 7.1

You said" EP350, EP500 or EP600. Ultimately, I would like to have the EP600. Considering that for now I’ll have to run all these speakers at fairly low levels most of the time is there any advantage to getting the EP600 now, or get a smaller sub and add the EP600 later?
I think I'd get 1 EP500 now, and another EP500 or EP600 when you move on to a larger room. Just my opinion.

You asked: HDDVD:
Is it really worth getting one? My gut tells me to wait for more models and titles to come out and for HDMI to get it’s act together meaning my money is better spent elsewhere for now.

I have to say wait for a while, I'm sure I'll be alone on this one.

Sounds like a great system, good luck putting it all together.

BTW think Monoprice.

Wayne

getting to 2,000 posts; one year at a time vp160/qs8/qs4/ep350/m60/m2200s
FordPrefect #153729 12/17/06 12:20 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I've got to agree with Wayne on this. All you need is 5.1 for now. Re-consider the 7.1 once you get the house.

The EP600 is a beast - weighs a ton, and is a pain in the arse to move around. Get the 500 - it's close enough to the 6 in performance, and a heck of alot easier on your back when you move again.

I have no knowledge of HDDVD.

Shawn

Epic 80/600 + M3's + M3 Algonquins + M2 Computer + EP125
I think I'm developing an addiction.
grunt #153730 12/17/06 01:55 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Dean Welcome
Looks like you have already made some good choices, I'll agree with the others as to staying with the 5.1, I would go with the EP500 because of the size and the fact that you probably won't feel the need to upgrade it in the future.
Logitech makes a good Universal Remote, cables monoprice or Bluejeans, if you plan on adding a game sytem I would go with the Xbox 360 and add the HDDVD drive for HD movies {small expense to get into HD) Just my 2 cents, good luck with your choices.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
HomeDad #153731 12/17/06 07:06 AM
grunt Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Thanks to all three of you for the feedback, especially the reality check on the subwoofer . It seems very easy to get addicted to adding or upgrading just one more thing.

I’m very new at this so the info on where to shop and good brands is very appreciated.

@ Michael

I am leaning in the direction of waiting on an HD DVD player as Wayne suggests but your idea on the Xbox 360 + HD DVD is intriguing since the Xbox is probably going to be my game machine choice anyway.

3M80 2M22 6QS8 2M2 1EP500 Sony BDP-S590 Panny-7000 Onkyo-3007 Carada-134 Xbox Buttkicker AS-EQ1
grunt #153732 12/17/06 03:58 PM
local
local
My 2 cents.
I have both the Denon 2807 REFURB - GREAT Unit!
I also have the XBOX 360 HD-DVD running via component and all I can say is oh my gosh.. $200 bucks for hd-dvd and it looks great at 1080i. No questions asked.

-------------------------------------
Denon 4308
M80x2,VP150,EP600,4xQS8
Tarun #153733 12/17/06 06:02 PM
R
connoisseur
connoisseur
R
Just to chime in, the EP 500 and no 7.1 rear speakers at this point is sound. (no pun intended) The Denon 2807 is an excellent price/value choice.

I might suggest you look the the MX-850 or MX-900 as your universal remote. Extremely powerful, user friendly and ergonomically sound. There has been several threads on this forum concerning the unit they replaced (search on MX-700 for detailed input). The real beauty of these things is the ability to do programming on the PC with very simple/intuitive software. None of the multitude who have purchased them here have complaints.

Don't let the MSRP frighten you. If you go to surfremotecontrol.com and give Mike a call, you will be very pleased with the price he will quote.

I've got ties to the company, but I am a happy owner of an MX-700 and MX-850.

Ray3 #153734 12/17/06 06:38 PM
M
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
One more suggestion with regards to URC remotes.

Pay for the upgrade to the MRF 300 or 350 base station. I have been fighting with remote IR flashers for days. The 300 / 350 base stations have adjustable flasher outputs. Right now I'm using black tape with different sized holes in it trying to 'tune' this IR flash. Some IR's overwhelm the sensors and the 300 / 350 can be adjusted to not do this. Or, you can do what I'm trying to do, with debatable success.

......there's always something with AV to test my patience.

michael_d #153735 12/17/06 07:33 PM
grunt Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
@ Tarun
Since your 2 cents will help me better spend $200 it’s well worth it. I had read in the forum that any good Denon AVR would work with the M80s but it’s nice to here from someone who is happy with it.

@ Ray
Thanks for the tip on the remotes, I’m looking at them right now. I hadn’t even looked into them yet but I think you defiantly saved me some time. If I do order one from them I’ll be happy to let them know you steered me their way if it’s ok with you. Only one disappointing thing is none of them seem to have a bottle opener for my homebrew.

@ Mike
Good to know about the IR compatibility issue I would hate to buy a remote and find out it didn’t always work right because it was too good.

Thanks again to everyone for the info. I thought I had decent research, but I had not really thought of some of this.

Keep it coming if you have any more advice.

Dean

3M80 2M22 6QS8 2M2 1EP500 Sony BDP-S590 Panny-7000 Onkyo-3007 Carada-134 Xbox Buttkicker AS-EQ1
grunt #153736 12/17/06 07:43 PM
devotee
devotee
Quote:

What I might want:
Universal remote: ???
Media center computer: Dell ???
Game machine: Xbox 360 or PS3 ???

Hi, I've got a Dell that I have been "configuring" as a HTPC all year. I'd suggest that when you get to selecting you HTPC to start another thread as this is a big topic all in itself! FYI - I've the MS IR Keyboard/Remote but use the Yami Universal remote that came with the V2600 which works for most jobs. Also looking forward to the PS/3 in our next fo the woods in Mar07.

HT:M80,VP150,QS8,EP500 Outside:4xM3 Office:AudioBytes, Rumpus: M60,VP150,M22 Portable:2 x Airs
jmone #153737 12/17/06 08:56 PM
R
connoisseur
connoisseur
R
Dean,

If you decide on the MX-850 or MX-900, I'll be happy to help you with the programming.

If you PM me, I will email you a sheet I put together that provides a little narrative about the power of the units. BTW, you can download files that users have put together and uploaded to Remote Central.

There is a spectacular file there for Denon commands. Every known command.

Ray

Ray3 #153738 12/17/06 09:54 PM
grunt Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur

@ Nathan
Good advice Nathan. I’m probably not buying the HTPC until windows vista is available preinstalled. And then maybe not until the first round of bugs are worked out. I will either be building my own system or buying and customizing a Dell since I get a 10% discount at Dell. But I will definitely start a new post on it.

@ Ray
I was just reading the reviews at Remote Central when you posted. I didn’t know what the “files” tab was but I do now. Looks like that will make things so much easier.

Sent you a PM for your info.

Dean

grunt #153739 12/18/06 02:57 AM
local
local
I just wanted to drop a vote for a harmony remote. I have the 682 and would like to move to the 1000 in the future. I love mine, and every time I hook it up to my laptop and go searching for more codes or to tweak my configuration I remember that it's one of my favorite electronics purchases in the last few years.

Not sure how familiar you are with remote controls, but the harmony remotes are based on the idea of "activity based" control. IE - 'I want to watch TV' which at the push of (the corresponding) button configures all your gear for this purpose and sets the remote to control this gear.

Their online database is huge and it's so easy to find your gear, tweak the setup, and download to the remote.

As far as the PS3/360 debate...I have a PS3, but haven't been able to fully utilize it yet. My jumbotron should be here this week In the end I think there's room for both in my setup though!

My M60's make me listen
My M80's make my ears hear
Either way - I'm not deaf anymore
x94blair3 #153740 12/18/06 06:55 PM
grunt Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Well I made the big purchase today. I ordered the following from the factory outlet.
2 x M80s
1 x VP150
2 x QS8s
1 x EP500
2 x FMSQSs

Sadly I won’t be seeing them until some time in February. Not Axioms fault as I will be traveling when they likely could have shipped them. Now I wish I would have just ordered them a month ago when I first figured I would buy them. Just wanted to take the time to ensure I was getting what I really wanted.

Thanks for all the help so far especially the reality check on the subwoofer and 5.1. Now if I upgrade to 7.1 later 2 more QS8s and 2 stands will already put me 4 items toward the 5 needed for the discount.

@ Tarun
Who did you order your Denon AVR 2807 from? I haven’t order any AV equipment online before and could use some advice from those of you who have.

@Nick
Thanks for your vote I’m still looking at all options. My familiarity with remotes is only what I read yesterday and the fact that I am already getting sick of using three remotes with at least two more on the way. While researching I had read that a universal remote was almost a necessity and now I‘m a believer.

grunt #153741 12/18/06 07:46 PM
local
local
Quote:

Well I made the big purchase today. I ordered the following from the factory outlet.
2 x M80s
1 x VP150
2 x QS8s
1 x EP500
2 x FMSQSs

Sadly I won’t be seeing them until some time in February. Not Axioms fault as I will be traveling when they likely could have shipped them. Now I wish I would have just ordered them a month ago when I first figured I would buy them. Just wanted to take the time to ensure I was getting what I really wanted.

Thanks for all the help so far especially the reality check on the subwoofer and 5.1. Now if I upgrade to 7.1 later 2 more QS8s and 2 stands will already put me 4 items toward the 5 needed for the discount.

@ Tarun
Who did you order your Denon AVR 2807 from? I haven’t order any AV equipment online before and could use some advice from those of you who have.

@Nick
Thanks for your vote I’m still looking at all options. My familiarity with remotes is only what I read yesterday and the fact that I am already getting sick of using three remotes with at least two more on the way. While researching I had read that a universal remote was almost a necessity and now I‘m a believer.

GRUNT,

I ordered from dakmart.com.
Came perfectly to me and the staff were helpful.

-------------------------------------
Denon 4308
M80x2,VP150,EP600,4xQS8
Tarun #153742 12/18/06 09:24 PM
grunt Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Quote:

GRUNT,

I ordered from dakmart.com.
Came perfectly to me and the staff were helpful.

Tarun,

Thanks, I just ordered mine.

Also ordered the Oppo 981

My credit card company called right after that checking to see if I was suddenly making a bunch of purchases.

grunt #153743 12/18/06 09:52 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Dean,
Sounds like you have a great setup on the way, Of course we will want pictures and a review when everything arrives.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
HomeDad #153744 12/28/06 03:30 AM
grunt Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Quote:

Dean,
Sounds like you have a great setup on the way, Of course we will want pictures and a review when everything arrives.

@ Ray & Mike
Thanks for the advice I ordered the MX-950 with the MRF 350. Called and talked to Mike at surfremotcontrol.com and was very happy with the price.

@ Michael
When I get the speakers I will definitely take some pictures. Hopefully I will have my “Home Theater” (apartment) room complete by then. I did about 95% of the work over Christmas but for me it’s always the last details over which I procrastinate.

I am very happy with the Oppo 981. I thought that the picture from my computer DVD player was good but the Oppo just blows it away. I ordered it at 2pm the Monday before Christmas and it shipped at 5pm that same day. I think it’s a great value already and don’t even have the receiver and speakers to use with it yet.

I also picked up a Buttkicker LFE Kit at a local store. No one had looked at it since I did a month ago so they gave me 10% off. Since I don’t have a couch yet (part of the 5% left to do) I shoved it between the mattress box springs of my bed/couch (I’m a bachelor so I can get away with it).

I didn’t know what to expect when I hooked it up to the subwoofer output on the Oppo, setting all the speakers to small and set the Buttkicker amp half way up. When the DVD started there was an audio intro with a lightning bolt and thunderclap. I’m not startled easily but I must say it scared the crap out of me. So I turned it down to about 1/4 and watched some movies.

Remember I don’t have a receiver or good speakers yet. First I watched “Revenge of the Sith” and wasn’t to impressed. It seemed the Buttkicker’s response was somewhat haphazardly integrated with the video. Then I watched “The Fifth Element” and I must say I was very impressed. The Buttkicker’s response was very tightly integrated with the movie and greatly enhanced the overall presentation especially considering I don’t yet have a subwoofer.

One of the reasons I got the Buttkicker was that I read it can help make up for not being able to play a subwoofer at reasonable levels in an apartment so I turned all the other speakers off and just listened for the Buttkicker. Sitting on the bed felt like there was a powerful subwoofer right there with me but when I got up I could barely hear anything. I put my ear to the floor and the walls and could here absolutely nothing. This was at a power level that felt perfect for the movie.

I wouldn’t substitute the Buttkicker for a subwoofer but for my situation in an apartment I think it is well worth it.

I also had hooked up an old “boom box” to use as surround speakers so I got a taste of 5.1. Why did I have to sign up to go to Turkey? I want to stay here and get my Axiom speakers now.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,473
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (Hambrabi), 715 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup