Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Ordered Epic 60 System from Factory Outlet
#154784 01/01/07 12:06 AM
dvaidya Offline OP
hobbyist
OP Offline
hobbyist
Hello,

Sorry for the mixed messages before. Finally my better half and I agreed that we need to get speakers and we ordered them today . Have ordered the following:

2 x M60, 1 x V100, 1 x EP350, 2 x QS8, 1 x FMSQS.

Couple of questions related to QS8. Got the stands as backup in case I am not able to mount speakers on the side. Is it ok to mount the speakers at different height and distance from the back wall. Also, how high should the speakers be from the listening position?

I am currently testing out DefTech ProCinema 1000 setup, with a Denon 2807 which I was able to get for $700 as part of the speaker/receiver package. I hope I will be able to keep the receiver at the price that I paid, when I return the procinema's.

Thanks
-Deepak

-Deepak
Re: Ordered Epic 60 System from Factory Outlet
dvaidya #154785 01/01/07 12:15 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Welcome and congrats on the order Deepak!

As far as the QS8s, I would say about 1 1/2 to 2 feet above the listening ear position is ideal. But the QS8s are also very flexible and many report great results with them mounted even higher.

As far as the differing distances/heights- this may be more critical, but it really depends on how big a difference you are talking about relative to your seating position. They are forgiving so a slight variation may not be a problem, but you do want sounds panning around you to sound uniform as they were meant to. Can you share some room dimensions and seating/speaker locations or a diagram? That will allow us to help you more. At least you have the stands to fall back on if needed.

-Dave

M80s VP150 QS8s EP500s
ravenmanor.com/cinema/
dllewel #154786 01/01/07 03:06 AM
dvaidya Offline OP
hobbyist
OP Offline
hobbyist
When I get home I will take some pictures of the room and post to get better help in locating the qs8 and the subwoofer.

-D

Last edited by dvaidya; 01/01/07 03:10 AM.
dvaidya #154787 01/03/07 03:19 AM
dvaidya Offline OP
hobbyist
OP Offline
hobbyist
As promised pictures of the family room with potential location for the qs8.

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=8AcMm7Nu1btX5w

Location Red is around 8ft from the floor and about 1 ft from the back wall, the gray location is about 6ft from the floor and 2ft from the side wall, while the blue location is qs8 on Axiom speaker stands. The front speakers are going on either side of the tv, with the initial location for the subwoofer next to the left front speaker.

Any owners of Pioneer 1016txv or Yamaha RXV659 or RXN600. Can you share your experience with using either with Epic60 setup. Also, any of the receiver support 240v? Looked at the manuals and the impression that I am getting is that the Yamaha support 240v, while the Pioneer does not.

Also, any guidelines in how to calibrate the speakers. Using the Denon's automated speaker settings with the DefTech procine 1000 series and the subwoofers distance is listed as 30+ feet,which does not seem to be right.

Thanks
_Deepak

-Deepak

-Deepak
dvaidya #154788 01/03/07 05:01 AM
J
veteran
veteran
J
I have the Yamaha HTR-5960 (nearly identical to the RXV659z0 and it drives my system as loud as I need it with no distortion at all. Haven't tried to see 'how' loud it will go, I value my ears as they are . I realize that you will have M60's instead of my M22's, but unless you plan on running them full range they should be a fairly similar load. If you have any specific questions, feel free to send me a PM.

____________________________ M22 VP100 QS8 EP500 Yamaha HTR-5960
dvaidya #154789 01/03/07 05:12 AM
local
local
Hello
I recently got a Denon and have been playing with the autosetup. The manual talks about how the distance may bee off for the subwoofer, and not to worry about it. Manual blames it on signal processing in the subwoofer. Note I have a ep175 sub and my distance is more or less correct.

I also read where you're going to put your speakers on each side of the tv. I had my m22's on the tv stand and they were about 40" apart. I had my center speaker on the stand also. I was sitting about 12' back in a 12x16 room, and for me it was too much treble. I am guessing I had too many tweeters too close together. since then I have tried my setup in a larger room and it sounded better. Now I have my m22's on the floor and spread out about 9', and I like it much better, although am still tweaking things.

I dont really like the audysssy sp? eq mode at all. It sounds like a tunnel. am wondering what others think of it. have been mostly turning the eq off, sometimes using the 'front' setting.

I do realize you got some 60's, so things will be different for you. congrats on your purchase. I wish I had the patience for the outlet

Randy

Randy

Quote:

Also, any guidelines in how to calibrate the speakers. Using the Denon's automated speaker settings

Axiom M80, Ep600, Qs8, VP150, Crown XLI 2500 , DBX Driverack PA2, Focusrite Scarlet 2i4
dvaidya #154790 01/03/07 08:04 AM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Very good, Deepak, I'm sure that you'll enjoy your new speakers greatly. As to receivers such as the 1016 or 659(or Onkyo 604), there's no reason why they wouldn't work very well with your speakers, but you're now trying a 2807 which is excellent, so it's unclear why you're looking at other possibilities.

When you ask about "support" for 240V, it depends on what you mean. Yamaha and most manufacturers of course sell models in other countries for operation at 240V and often have a model which has a voltage selector for 120V/240V operation, but this isn't the model sold in N.America.

Re the auto setup, keep in mind that there're two separate parts: calibration of speaker levels and distances, etc. and a separate equalization process for room response. Results of the equalization vary, with some reporting significant improvement, while others report that it made things worse. The auto calibration, however, should be at least as accurate as could be done manually with the use of a SPL meter. The distance measurement for the sub that you describe isn't unusual, and the manual points out that the sub distance may be measured as considerably longer than the physical distance because of delays caused by the sub electronics.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

JohnK #154791 01/03/07 04:37 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Looking at your pictures, my feeling is go with the gray locations for the surrounds. I think the height and placment are best there. Just my vote.

I'd put the subwoofer on the front wall with the TV, between the TV and the right front speaker.

Last edited by dllewel; 01/03/07 04:42 PM.

-Dave

M80s VP150 QS8s EP500s
ravenmanor.com/cinema/
JohnK #154792 01/03/07 05:03 PM
dvaidya Offline OP
hobbyist
OP Offline
hobbyist
Quote:

Very good, Deepak, I'm sure that you'll enjoy your new speakers greatly. As to receivers such as the 1016 or 659(or Onkyo 604), there's no reason why they wouldn't work very well with your speakers, but you're now trying a 2807 which is excellent, so it's unclear why you're looking at other possibilities.

[Deepak] John, I have the funny feeling that when I return the DefTech ProCinema BestBuy is not going to let me keep the Denon for the price that I paid and I might have to purchase another receiver since they are going to ask me for full price on the Denon (1099).

When you ask about "support" for 240V, it depends on what you mean. Yamaha and most manufacturers of course sell models in other countries for operation at 240V and often have a model which has a voltage selector for 120V/240V operation, but this isn't the model sold in N.America.

[Deepak] There is a potential that I might be moving to a country where it is 240v. Does the subwoofer support 240v? Will have to look it up in the manual.

Re the auto setup, keep in mind that there're two separate parts: calibration of speaker levels and distances, etc. and a separate equalization process for room response. Results of the equalization vary, with some reporting significant improvement, while others report that it made things worse. The auto calibration, however, should be at least as accurate as could be done manually with the use of a SPL meter. The distance measurement for the sub that you describe isn't unusual, and the manual points out that the sub distance may be measured as considerably longer than the physical distance because of delays caused by the sub electronics.

[Deepak] Yeah, I will have to fiddle around with the setting and pick up a SPL meter from RadioShack. Anyone on the forum have a quick howto guide that they can point me to. I search for calibration, speaker calibration and spl but not much luck. I am a total newbie with audio/video stuff.

-Deepak

-Deepak
dllewel #154793 01/03/07 05:21 PM
dvaidya Offline OP
hobbyist
OP Offline
hobbyist
Yeah, initially I was thinking about putting the speaker right above the fireplace mantle, but the right side speak would have ended up lower than the left. Right now I am leaning towards the gray or the blue spot (speakers on stand). Will change the location of the subwoofer. Also, will ensure that the front speakers are good 7 to 9 feet apart.

The waiting game has started.

Thanks
-Deepak

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616