Rate Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: M80s vs. M50s vs. M3s vs. Incompetent wiring
Ken.C #155292 01/08/07 07:49 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Ken,

Nice review.

Let me say right off....I KNOW, JohnK WILL approve your choice of receivers...AND the 16ga wires.

I almost got the M80's, back when I got my M60's......but, after talking to Alan on the phone, and the Yamaha A/V receiver thing, and the 4 ohm thing......well, it was the M60's for me..(no regrets).

I think your kind of "testing" is overall, the best way, and...MOST people will relate to it.

I'm not as sure, about the "ipod" as a source...(we all know that, source material is huge,... as to how good a system can sound).
However, I think the point is moot...the M80's would STILL have won out.

Larry

LIFE: "Choices, balance, and timing"

(Larryism)
LT61 #155293 01/08/07 08:20 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
You guys all suck.

Just jealous. Hope you had a good time. Wish I'd been there.

Seems like positioning and amplification are the variables. I've never really subscribed to the "some sand sounds special" theory, but is it *possible* that the HK sounds different than the Marantz?

I guess I'll wait to look at the pictures before I start blabbering about positioning.

Cool.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
tomtuttle #155294 01/09/07 01:54 AM
aficionado
aficionado
Quote:

Seems like positioning and amplification are the variables. I've never really subscribed to the "some sand sounds special" theory, but is it *possible* that the HK sounds different than the Marantz?

Shhhh, Tom, don't utter such words!

Actually, Ken said something remarkably similar last night, and I think Peter and I are of similar opinions. The character of the M3 and M50 were quite noticeably different than the M80s.

I pretty much agree with Ken's run down of M80>M3>M50. I came away obviously in envy of the M80s for their complete package, but also quite happy with how well the M3 held up in comparison (albeit not admittedly a fair one, seeing as the M80 is 3x the height, 2x the depth and has 3x the drivers). One thing the M80s do extremely well is keep composure when things get a little hairy. Those doubled drivers really do ensure that one area really isn't working harder than it needs to. Listening to Metallica's S&M, the strings were always lush and full no matter how much overdriven guitar, bass & drums was layed on top of it. Lines were distinct, and nothing got lost in the mix. The M3s on the other hand, sounded wonderfully precise and clear when things were relatively orderly, but definitely started to sound a bit compressed (in comparison to the M80s) once the layers and SPL started building up.

The one thing I definitely didn't expect to hear was how much better the M3s handled bass in comparison to the M50s. Even though the M50s went lower, the bass felt a bit disconnected and muted from the rest of the spectrum, whereas the M3s really had a satisfying thump to the drums and bass, and sounded much more cohesive.

But really, hands down, the M80 is an amazing speaker. I wish I had brought a couple classical CDs (particularly Harnoncourts recording of Beethoven's 7th symphony (2nd movement), and the Telarc recording with the orchestral versions of Satie's Gymnopedies, Faure's Pavane for A Dead Princess, and Barber's Adagio for Strings) so I could see how it handled the intricacies of a well recorded orchestra. Its ability to render all the different layers clearly was really impressive. Though I actually wish it was maybe a little bit more forward. Though if you would've asked me what I thought after listening to Dennis's M80s in his marble-floored room, I would've said "What?? I can't hear a thing you're saying!"

AdamP88 #155295 01/09/07 01:55 AM
Ken.C Offline OP
shareholder in the making
OP Offline
Feel free to bring your stuff over anytime, Adam! Well, ok, a little notice is good...

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
Ken.C #155296 01/09/07 04:43 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I remember when I had both the M3's and M22's. I thought overall the M22's were better speakers (and perhaps some of the best bookshelves I have ever heard), but the M3's had a certain sweet sound.

Having never heard M50's, I can't comment on those, but yeah, my M80's are definitely well worth having over M3's or M22's, provided you have a strong amp and decent space to put them in. I tried the M80's in a small room once (12 x 10 I think), and they didn't sound quite right. A tad thin, and no imaging. You need something bigger to take advantage of them.

ravi_singh #155297 01/09/07 07:08 AM
Ken.C Offline OP
OP Offline
Pictures!

Gypsy and the M133s. Gypsy is Not Amused.

The room really isn't as messy as this picture makes it look, but here it all is...

Right M133 with the new/old Marantz.

Me, looking like an idiot. But an idiot with a tasty beer!

The Brothers Not-So-Grimm.

tomtuttle #155298 01/09/07 07:24 AM
It's my turn the chime in, I suppose. My impressions are the same. The M80s were hands down winners. I am very lucky to have absolutely no room for tower speakers in my current home so I can be very happy for Ken without the slightest hint of jealousy or upgrade-itis on my part.

I'll comment more about the wiring thing. Before we started the listening session, I was pretty sure the M3s would sound the "least best" - meaning they'd be good, just not as good as the others. When the M50s turned out to sound pretty nasal and anemic, especially in the bass area, I started to suspect something was wrong. I suggested that Ken switch the M3s and the M50s on the back of the Marantz. That was when he discovered the M50s were wired out-of-phase. Now it made complete sense why the M50s had been sucking (and simultaneously blowing, actually).

After the wiring was remedied, the M50s popped back into focus. But the not-so-little speakers that could -- the M3s -- still seemed to best them on punchiness in the bass area. It could be the difference in crossover and cabinet volume. I'm not sure, but there was that little extra magic in the M3 sound that just wasn't in the M50s. Now if we only had a tube amp and some Oil Impregnated Metallized Polypropylene capacitors to swap into the crossover... THEN we'd have the perfect speaker. (hi 2x6!)

About the possible difference contributed by the separate components, all I can tell you is that when playing tracks from the iPod, the M80s sounded less better than the other speakers than when we played tracks from the CD player. Since the M80s are more revealing, it seems logical that this was the case.

Ken.C #155299 01/09/07 07:31 AM
Quote:

The room really isn't as messy as this picture makes it look

That's a textbook definition of denial if I ever saw one.

Nice pics, but I believe you kiboshed my reasonable expectation of privacy while inside your home.

pmbuko #155300 01/09/07 04:27 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Omigosh. Photographic evidence that you guys suck (beer).

Explore diversity in facial hair configuration.

I think positioning of the cat is critical.

You guys are fun. Bring all your speakers to Washington and we can build a M193. I'll tell the posse to give you safe passage. In.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
tomtuttle #155301 01/09/07 04:36 PM
Ken.C Offline OP
OP Offline
But every man needs a goatee.

Sorry, Tom, no way am I lugging 2 pairs of towers to Washington. Oof.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,473
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (Kevin1), 372 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup