Rate Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: New axioms arrived!...sort of
Ajax #155354 01/10/07 02:53 PM
local
OP Offline
local
Quote:

Nick, I just had a very postive experience with (click on any option and scroll down to see photos of connection procedure). Very simple to connect (no soldering), rubberized grips to minimize shorting if they touch, and well made.

They come in 4-pack ($12=$3 per plug), 8-pack ($20=$2.50 per plug), 10-pack ($25=$2 per plug), 20-pack ($40=$2 per plug), 24-pack ($48=$2 per plug), 28-pack ($56=$2 per plug), 40-pack ($80=$2 per plug), and 48-pack ($90=$1.90 per plug) configurations.

Funny, I found those yesterday while digging around the internet yesterday. The other funny thing is that monster is selling the exact same ones rebranded at about $21 a set of 4. I almost broke down and bought them at radio shack. I guess I'll just order these and be patient. I'm so good at that!

My M60's make me listen
My M80's make my ears hear
Either way - I'm not deaf anymore
x94blair3 #155355 01/10/07 04:14 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Nick,

Sorry for the delays in delivery of your speakers.
As you noted, the surrounds in cinemas are indeed quite elevated. You can experiment with the QS8 height if you want using a couple of stepladders (or able assistants) to temporarily position them while you do some listening.

The QS8s are very forgiving, and needn't be at identical heights or exactly opposite each other. One of mine is about 7 feet off the floor and the other about 5 feet. I usually advise customers to put them "anywhere from 2 ft to 6 ft above ear level when you're seated".

Be sure there is room for the banana plugs at the Yamaha's output connectors. Sometimes they are very close together.

Regards,

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)
alan #155356 01/10/07 06:10 PM
local
OP Offline
local
Certainly nothing to apologize for. Just kind of weird how it worked out.

The last one showed up...Now the question is whether I can justify working at home for the rest of the day or if I should go into the office...hmm.

My M60's make me listen
Ajax #155357 01/10/07 08:38 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Quote:

at his home in Ft. Myers, Florida right now (flying home this afternoon),

You were in Florida and didn't even bother to drop in on me here in NH? How Rude!

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
x94blair3 #155358 01/10/07 09:03 PM
local
OP Offline
local
Wow. Banana plugs = very nice. I'm outraged at the price I had to spend for them considering the good deal I got on the wire, but whatever. They're SO much easier to manage as others noted.

So. I'm all hooked up. And I'm listening to some tunes. They sound great. I haven't run any calibration stuff yet so I can only imagine it's all going to get better.

Anyone else using a jukebox for their music collection? Currently I've got replaygain applied to most of my collection and it sounds "muted" compared to the newer stuff I haven't applied tags to yet. I realize the answer to that is "duh...that's the point of replaygain" but I was wondering if it's a good idea after all.

This will sound crazy of course, but it feels like the speakers are getting more robust as I listen to them. I know it's just my imagination, but still.

My M60's make me listen
x94blair3 #155359 01/10/07 09:15 PM
local
local
I have tried replaygain settings on flac files with the xmms media player under the linux OS. I was not impressed, as it seem to 'muddy' the sound. I have just accepted that some tracks/albums are put down hotter than others. I currently have the same opinion of software EQ's , although I hope eventually I can find an EQ i like in software.

Randy

Quote:

Anyone else using a jukebox for their music collection? Currently I've got replaygain applied to most of my collection and it sounds "muted" compared to the newer stuff I haven't applied tags to yet.

Axiom M80, Ep600, Qs8, VP150, Crown XLI 2500 , DBX Driverack PA2, Focusrite Scarlet 2i4
Jim_Perkins #155360 01/10/07 09:24 PM
local
OP Offline
local
Quote:

I have tried replaygain settings on flac files with the xmms media player under the linux OS. I was not impressed, as it seem to 'muddy' the sound. I have just accepted that some tracks/albums are put down hotter than others. I currently have the same opinion of software EQ's , although I hope eventually I can find an EQ i like in software.

Randy

Glad to hear I'm not the only one then. That's how I feel. It seems like they're lowering the highest parts and leaving the rest alone and it's all getting muddled together.

It's going to take a while but I think I'm going to strip it all out and accept the same thing. To me blown out audio is more noticable with headphones anyway which makes sense given the standard was supposed to be for mp3's and stuff.

My M60's make me listen
x94blair3 #155361 01/11/07 09:00 PM
local
OP Offline
local
Ok. So the question is. As I finalize my surrounds, run auto calibration, obsess over tweaking, and start knocking out the movies this weekend...

what to do about the sub? I've followed HSU before when axiom subs weren't as regarded. My budget has already been strained by the amount of toys this Christmas, but I don't want to rush a purchase that I'll regret later.

The STF-2 is very attractively priced. But is it going to contribute enough to the 60's to warrant addition? Or would it be better to wait till I can get a VTF series? I know the only difference is supposed to be the variable tuning and if I had it pre-configured for movies that would probably be okay. I don't know how much multi channel audio I'll do after all. But again, I'm not one for limits. It's all about the bang for the buck.

Or maybe I should wait till I can afford the 500 from axiom. It appears to be in a class of it's own from what I'm reading. But that might be a while.

Nick

My M60's make me listen
x94blair3 #155362 01/11/07 09:07 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
It all depends on how much you want to spend, whats your maximum budget? (becuase you're going to want to use it all! )

Producer | Composer
www.robbhutzal.com
x94blair3 #155363 01/11/07 09:10 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Nick, I'm not sure how large your room is but in a medium size room I think you will see the STF-2 or any decent sub make a big contribution to watching movies and music.
If it was me I would get the SFT-2 at the great price they are offering, then down the road when finances permit, you can always upgrade or even use two subs.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (rrlev), 740 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup