Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
New axioms arrived!...sort of
#155324 01/08/07 09:34 PM
local
OP Offline
local
Well, I got confirmation from Noreen that my axioms were shipped Friday and was surprised to see they were ready for delivery today. I raced home only to find I'd missed DHL. After calling to see when they'd be back at the hub so I could pick them up we discovered a second truck was out to deliver 3 of the boxes.

Sure enough 3 boxes showed up about an hour ago. And sure enough it was the VP150, one of the 60's and a QS8. Of course...

So now I'm sitting here looking at three shiny speakers waiting for a callback to say I can come pick up the last 2 and get rolling. I have to pick up speaker wire as well since I planned to do it on the way home tonight.

Initial impressions (so that this post isn't completely useless ): The high gloss cherry finish axiom was offering for free upgrade is really nice. I don't have a point of reference I guess, but it's definately glossy without being obnoxious. It compliments the glossy cabinet on my new samsung .

For whatever reason when I look at the finish I'm left thinking "retro" which I'm a fan of, but I suppose other more futuristic types might enjoy something a bit more modern.

The VP150 is a monster of a speaker. I'd processed how ever big it says it is with a measuring tape, but seeing it is another thing. It dwarfs my old HTIB onkyo speaker and it's very heavy.

Of course the same could be said for the M60 sitting here. Great box design. Putting the feet on and flipping (and having it come right out) was excellent. The speaker feels a little wobbly on the rubber feet - I've got wood floors which are uneven and I'm sure I'm just paranoid.

The QS8 is a beauty. The design just screams "surround sound" and I have high hopes it lives up to it's rave reviews. It's also heavier and larger than it looks.

My M60's make me listen
My M80's make my ears hear
Either way - I'm not deaf anymore
Re: New axioms arrived!...sort of
x94blair3 #155325 01/08/07 09:39 PM
local
OP Offline
local
Just got a call back from DHL and they only tried to deliver one box this morning leaving one remaining in transit somewhere. However the lady on the phone was great about it all and offered to have them (assuming 2nd box makes it to Richmond overnight) delivered "sometime" after 3pm tomorrow so I woudln't have to spend all day waiting instead of going to work. Hmm..maybe that's not a plus!

I don't know if there are specific reasons (cost) etc for the carrier Axiom has chosen, but customer service is at the very least an added bonus. I can't imagine UPS offering a window for my delivery.

Anyway...hopefully some impressions tomorrow when stuff actually gets here. It's a shame the 2 60's didn't make it here today. I can't even face the idea of listening to my HTIB onkyo speakers tonight!

My M60's make me listen
x94blair3 #155326 01/08/07 09:43 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Congrats (sort-of) on the partial arrivals. I guess you can either listen to HTIB tonight, or just the left and center channels of your new Axiom system. Half the Axioms would probably still win out, but wait until you have them all- so you can get the complete audio experience.

In the meantime, do you have an SPL meter to do the levels calibration?

Welcome!

-Dave

M80s VP150 QS8s EP500s
ravenmanor.com/cinema/
x94blair3 #155327 01/08/07 09:48 PM
local
OP Offline
local
For side placement of the QS8's, are their recommendations for placement from the back wall? My couch is right up against the this wall and my ears are typically about 10-15 inches forward from there (yes I'm anal retentive and measured).

If I center the QS8 to my ears that'll put the speaker closest to the back pretty close to the wall. I see mention of a foot clearance for the top speaker, is that recommended for all 4?

I realize I'm probably being stupid, but since I'm lucky enough to have a room (tiny) perfect for side mounting I'd like to maximize it's potential.

I promise to stop gushing and blathering away now. Perhaps I'll go pick up that speaker wire!

Nick

My M60's make me listen
dllewel #155328 01/08/07 09:53 PM
local
OP Offline
local
Quote:

Congrats (sort-of) on the partial arrivals. I guess you can either listen to HTIB tonight, or just the left and center channels of your new Axiom system. Half the Axioms would probably still win out, but wait until you have them all- so you can get the complete audio experience.

In the meantime, do you have an SPL meter to do the levels calibration?

Welcome!

I don't have an SPL meter. Perhaps I should pick one up? My room is probably going to suck for acoustics since it's a fairly empty room with wood floors. I was planning to use my new Yamaha 2700's feature, but I have read and understand it's not perfect so maybe I should get an SPL meter and tackle the challenge of understanding that too.

Plus I'll have to figure out whether to use my Onkyo HTIB sub (which in appearance and build seems far and away the best of that purchase) or depend on the 60's for movie bass.

My M60's make me listen
x94blair3 #155329 01/08/07 09:57 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I would put them directly at the sides of the listeners, as you described this would be about 10-15 inches from the back wall. This gives them some room for the tweeters to reflect off of the back wall, to give the additional diffused/spacious effect that they are famous for. Just as long as they aren't "in front" of the listeners.

As far as height, I think about 18 to 24 inches above the listening ear positions is good.

It's great to get into using the SPL meter, but you can always try your receivers setup and see how happy you are with it.

As far as the sub, I'm sure it would be best to upgrade down the road- but for now, try it both ways (M60s at small/80Hz xover, or full) and see which you prefer.

-Dave

M80s VP150 QS8s EP500s
ravenmanor.com/cinema/
dllewel #155330 01/08/07 10:48 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
What Dave said

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
tomtuttle #155331 01/09/07 12:58 AM
local
OP Offline
local
Okay, got the speaker wire. No one seemed to want to help at HD, but Lowe's cut me some. 12GA wasn't available at HD and it was $.95 a foot at Lowe's! I wasn't going to give them that price when I could have offered Axiom the business and saved .05 a foot. So I ended up with 14GA at $.47 per which still seemed a little high.

Guess I can spend the rest of the night running wire and get prepared for tomorrow afternoon.

I looked at the instructions again and realized that the surrounds should start at the edge of 90 degrees. I was thinking the speaker should be centered at 90 degrees so I guess I'll just have to trust they're not "too close" to the back wall. I appreciate your time providing input.

I realize I'm being a kid about all this by the way. I can't seem to help myself.

Nick

My M60's make me listen
x94blair3 #155332 01/09/07 02:19 AM
shareholder in the making
Nick:
My situation seems similar to yours and I've had good luck with my QS-8 positioning:

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
MarkSJohnson #155333 01/09/07 02:36 AM
local
OP Offline
local
Yup..that looks familiar. It looks like you have yours mounted quite a bit higher than I was planning. Any particular reason? I suppose if you think about where surround speakers are in a movie theater, they're quite elevated.

I'm single and live in a (relative to my HT) gear crappy apt. Maybe you're doing it for asthetics since it seems like you have a very nice home!

Nick

My M60's make me listen
x94blair3 #155334 01/09/07 03:30 AM
Nick, enjoy. On the QS8s: either on the back wall just a few inches from the side walls or the side walls just a few inches from the back wall. In either case about 3' above ear level.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

JohnK #155335 01/09/07 04:12 AM
local
OP Offline
local
Wow. Much higher than I'd expected. Good thing I was soliciting opinions otherwise they would have ended up much lower. it just made sense that "ear level" would be ideal.

Finally got all the speaker wire stripped and attached. Trying to figure out where the receiver has to sit and still allow all the cables to reach. The 150 is a monster and taking much more of my top shelf than I expected

My M60's make me listen
MarkSJohnson #155336 01/09/07 05:33 AM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
Mark - how do you get your room to bend like this?
All my walls meet at a boring 90 degrees!

Bren R.

BrenR #155337 01/09/07 05:49 AM
local
OP Offline
local
Last update before I got to bed. I got everything wired up. Then some came loose. After I got everything else wired in and it's now impossible to reach.

The yamaha 2700 doesn't seem to hold wires very tightly. I love how the Axiom speakers feed the wire straight through. I realize they're not trying to wedge as many inputs into as small a spot, but still.

Now I'll have to pull it all (@%9@%*@ out again tomorrow and try again. Or maybe I should get banana plugs?

I tried listening to some audio out of just one speaker and it sounds dreadful. When I took the cover off it seems like everything is just coming through the tweeter as near as I can tell. I'm guessing it's because my inputs were already loose, but it didn't seem like it. I eventually DID disconnect that speaker trying to reconnect one of the surrounds and lost all audio, so maybe it was failing.

The good news is that my HTPC (that had 232 GB of sweet, sweet flac files - my entire music collection - 450 albums) is now correctly kernel streaming. I'm not sure why it's suddenly working, but the DTS audio file I was testing with before and getting static is now playing through 2 speakers (albeit one horribly).

Perhaps the PC or receiver refused to even try before when I had the crummy speakers hooked up

More tomorrow when the others show up and I get the speaker wire reconnected.

Anyone use banana plugs for the receiver end? I generally think direct contact is better with most everything but in this case maybe convenience is worth it?

My M60's make me listen
x94blair3 #155338 01/09/07 06:28 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Save yourself the headaches, many of us use banana plugs simply because they are much easier to connect and disconnect in tight spots. There should not be any difference in sound quality if everything is tight. I started using them in just the receiver end, then went to both ends because I liked the look and the ease of use.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
x94blair3 #155339 01/09/07 06:42 AM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
Quote:

Anyone use banana plugs for the receiver end? I generally think direct contact is better with most everything but in this case maybe convenience is worth it?

If I had to do it all over again, I'd probablyuse banana plugs at the receiver... I've got meathooks for hands, and after the first 4 conductors being hunched over in a position that would make my chiropractor faint, it doesn't get any easier doing the other ones.

Bren R.

x94blair3 #155340 01/09/07 06:44 AM
On the tweeter note, make sure the binding strap(s) between the posts on the M60s didn't fall off. I had a heck of a time keeping the ones on on my 80s when I was wiring them.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
BrenR #155341 01/09/07 12:34 PM
Quote:

Mark - how do you get your room to bend like this? All my walls meet at a boring 90 degrees!

Well....remember how you guys are always saying that mudding the walls is an art? And....you know how easy it is to just keep adding layers of stuff in tryin' to get it "just right"? I had some problems in the corners.....

x94blair3 #155342 01/09/07 02:54 PM
old hand
old hand
Congrats on the the new additions. I'm in the Richmond VA area also, Midlothian, and DHL did a great job with the delivery.
I agree with the use of banana plugs, specially for the receiver. Just stay away from the Axiom banana plugs. The ends
are too thin and don't make good contact. I have a whole sack of them.

M80s,VP150,EP500,QS8(4)
Ken.C #155343 01/09/07 03:50 PM
local
OP Offline
local
Quote:

On the tweeter note, make sure the binding strap(s) between the posts on the M60s didn't fall off. I had a heck of a time keeping the ones on on my 80s when I was wiring them.

Haha...boy am I stupid. I actually took those OFF. For some reason I thought the instructions said to do so unless you were bi-amping. The fact that I didn't know you needed to have them connected probably highlights how ignorant I am about all this. I've never had a speaker with four inputs before. Now that I've lost all credibility.

So that should fix that problem, now I'll have to pick up some banana plugs today. Are they difficult to install? I bought some a few years ago when i got my HTIB and I just remember looking at them and thinking "what a pain in the a**" and going back to bare wire. Maybe I bought crummy ones.

Nick

My M60's make me listen
x94blair3 #155344 01/09/07 03:54 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Get the banana plugs from monoprice . They are cheap and have great reviews on these plugs. I got 20 pairs from them when I ordered all my cables. They don't need soldering, you can attach the wire with the screw it comes with.

Last edited by Hutzal; 01/09/07 03:57 PM.

Producer | Composer
www.robbhutzal.com
Hutzal #155345 01/09/07 04:31 PM
local
OP Offline
local
Unfortunately they're not in stock and that wouldn't feed the instant gratification urge we all know and love. I'll check out radio shack on the way home now that I've researched the different types.

Thanks for the tip though.

My M60's make me listen
x94blair3 #155346 01/09/07 04:33 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Quote:

Unfortunately they're not in stock and that wouldn't feed the instant gratification urge we all know and love. I'll check out radio shack on the way home now that I've researched the different types.

Thanks for the tip though.

Hmmm, when i click the link I gave you, it shows as "in stock" are you sure? The Link is for the soldering type, but like all the reviewers say, you can use them as screw-in type. I should actually try it out, as I have 20 pairs at home, just waiting for the speakers to arrive...

Last edited by Hutzal; 01/09/07 04:44 PM.

Producer | Composer
www.robbhutzal.com
Hutzal #155347 01/09/07 04:37 PM
I like the ones I got from Home Depot, of all places. I much prefer them to the kind I got from BlueJeans (and they were about $10 cheaper, as I recall...)

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
MarkSJohnson #155348 01/09/07 07:44 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
Quote:

Well....remember how you guys are always saying that mudding the walls is an art? And....you know how easy it is to just keep adding layers of stuff in tryin' to get it "just right"? I had some problems in the corners.....

*laughs* That's an homage to my videographer brother, I've learned to turn off "Trading Spaces" when he's around, he complains about their use of W/A lenses for talking heads. Makes a "Wash Out" Pfaffenbach (from Hot Shots) joke about being afflicted with walleye-vision.

Bren R.

BrenR #155349 01/09/07 10:15 PM
local
OP Offline
local
Crap. DHL just showed up for today and only had one speaker. And of course it's a QS8. So I'm 1 speaker short in has to be the 60. Hopefully this isn't an indication of some problem. I know shipping can be completely random but we're talking about 1 piece showing up monday am (then getting delivered today on the retry), 3 showing up in time for pm delivery on monday, and the last missing am and pm delivery times for today.

Gives me more time to shop for banana plugs I guess.

Nick

My M60's make me listen
x94blair3 #155350 01/10/07 02:49 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
That's not good. It is not fair to be teasing you like that.

Delivery
Halfway
Lost

*Michael*
AV123 Refugee - X-LS Encore, X-Voce, X-Omnis, Elt-Dpa's
Denon AVR-591
Magnavox NB500MGX BDP

x94blair3 #155351 01/10/07 04:14 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Quote:

...now I'll have to pick up some banana plugs today. Are they difficult to install? I bought some a few years ago when i got my HTIB and I just remember looking at them and thinking "what a pain in the a**" and going back to bare wire. Maybe I bought crummy ones.

Nick

Nick, I just had a very postive experience with GLS Audio Safe-Connect Banana Plugs (click on any option and scroll down to see photos of connection procedure). Very simple to connect (no soldering), rubberized grips to minimize shorting if they touch, and well made.

They come in 4-pack ($12=$3 per plug), 8-pack ($20=$2.50 per plug), 10-pack ($25=$2 per plug), 20-pack ($40=$2 per plug), 24-pack ($48=$2 per plug), 28-pack ($56=$2 per plug), 40-pack ($80=$2 per plug), and 48-pack ($90=$1.90 per plug) configurations.

Last edited by Ajax; 01/10/07 04:18 AM.
Ajax #155352 01/10/07 05:52 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Jack, that's the same place I got my banana plugs from, I have the black chrome, I don't think they had the safety plugs last year when I bought mine, I'll have to pick some up. I was also very pleased with the quality, price and service from them.

HomeDad #155353 01/10/07 11:53 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Same thing here, Michael. They didn't have the Safe-Connect plugs when I bought my black chrome plugs last year. I recently bought the safe-connect plugs to connect the Axioms (M60s/VP150/QS8s) I gave my older brother. I'm at his home in Ft. Myers, Florida right now (flying home this afternoon), and finished hooking everything up last Sunday.

Though the black chrome plugs work just fine, I much prefer the safe-connect plugs for their easy, secure connection, and because they are shorter and lighter than the black chrome plugs, which means less strain on the binding posts to which they are connected. And, having rubber jacketing, they are just a bit safer.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
Ajax #155354 01/10/07 02:53 PM
local
OP Offline
local
Quote:

Nick, I just had a very postive experience with (click on any option and scroll down to see photos of connection procedure). Very simple to connect (no soldering), rubberized grips to minimize shorting if they touch, and well made.

They come in 4-pack ($12=$3 per plug), 8-pack ($20=$2.50 per plug), 10-pack ($25=$2 per plug), 20-pack ($40=$2 per plug), 24-pack ($48=$2 per plug), 28-pack ($56=$2 per plug), 40-pack ($80=$2 per plug), and 48-pack ($90=$1.90 per plug) configurations.

Funny, I found those yesterday while digging around the internet yesterday. The other funny thing is that monster is selling the exact same ones rebranded at about $21 a set of 4. I almost broke down and bought them at radio shack. I guess I'll just order these and be patient. I'm so good at that!

My M60's make me listen
x94blair3 #155355 01/10/07 04:14 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Nick,

Sorry for the delays in delivery of your speakers.
As you noted, the surrounds in cinemas are indeed quite elevated. You can experiment with the QS8 height if you want using a couple of stepladders (or able assistants) to temporarily position them while you do some listening.

The QS8s are very forgiving, and needn't be at identical heights or exactly opposite each other. One of mine is about 7 feet off the floor and the other about 5 feet. I usually advise customers to put them "anywhere from 2 ft to 6 ft above ear level when you're seated".

Be sure there is room for the banana plugs at the Yamaha's output connectors. Sometimes they are very close together.

Regards,

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)
alan #155356 01/10/07 06:10 PM
local
OP Offline
local
Certainly nothing to apologize for. Just kind of weird how it worked out.

The last one showed up...Now the question is whether I can justify working at home for the rest of the day or if I should go into the office...hmm.

My M60's make me listen
Ajax #155357 01/10/07 08:38 PM
Quote:

at his home in Ft. Myers, Florida right now (flying home this afternoon),

You were in Florida and didn't even bother to drop in on me here in NH? How Rude!

x94blair3 #155358 01/10/07 09:03 PM
local
OP Offline
local
Wow. Banana plugs = very nice. I'm outraged at the price I had to spend for them considering the good deal I got on the wire, but whatever. They're SO much easier to manage as others noted.

So. I'm all hooked up. And I'm listening to some tunes. They sound great. I haven't run any calibration stuff yet so I can only imagine it's all going to get better.

Anyone else using a jukebox for their music collection? Currently I've got replaygain applied to most of my collection and it sounds "muted" compared to the newer stuff I haven't applied tags to yet. I realize the answer to that is "duh...that's the point of replaygain" but I was wondering if it's a good idea after all.

This will sound crazy of course, but it feels like the speakers are getting more robust as I listen to them. I know it's just my imagination, but still.

My M60's make me listen
x94blair3 #155359 01/10/07 09:15 PM
local
local
I have tried replaygain settings on flac files with the xmms media player under the linux OS. I was not impressed, as it seem to 'muddy' the sound. I have just accepted that some tracks/albums are put down hotter than others. I currently have the same opinion of software EQ's , although I hope eventually I can find an EQ i like in software.

Randy

Quote:

Anyone else using a jukebox for their music collection? Currently I've got replaygain applied to most of my collection and it sounds "muted" compared to the newer stuff I haven't applied tags to yet.

Axiom M80, Ep600, Qs8, VP150, Crown XLI 2500 , DBX Driverack PA2, Focusrite Scarlet 2i4
Jim_Perkins #155360 01/10/07 09:24 PM
local
OP Offline
local
Quote:

I have tried replaygain settings on flac files with the xmms media player under the linux OS. I was not impressed, as it seem to 'muddy' the sound. I have just accepted that some tracks/albums are put down hotter than others. I currently have the same opinion of software EQ's , although I hope eventually I can find an EQ i like in software.

Randy

Glad to hear I'm not the only one then. That's how I feel. It seems like they're lowering the highest parts and leaving the rest alone and it's all getting muddled together.

It's going to take a while but I think I'm going to strip it all out and accept the same thing. To me blown out audio is more noticable with headphones anyway which makes sense given the standard was supposed to be for mp3's and stuff.

My M60's make me listen
x94blair3 #155361 01/11/07 09:00 PM
local
OP Offline
local
Ok. So the question is. As I finalize my surrounds, run auto calibration, obsess over tweaking, and start knocking out the movies this weekend...

what to do about the sub? I've followed HSU before when axiom subs weren't as regarded. My budget has already been strained by the amount of toys this Christmas, but I don't want to rush a purchase that I'll regret later.

The STF-2 is very attractively priced. But is it going to contribute enough to the 60's to warrant addition? Or would it be better to wait till I can get a VTF series? I know the only difference is supposed to be the variable tuning and if I had it pre-configured for movies that would probably be okay. I don't know how much multi channel audio I'll do after all. But again, I'm not one for limits. It's all about the bang for the buck.

Or maybe I should wait till I can afford the 500 from axiom. It appears to be in a class of it's own from what I'm reading. But that might be a while.

Nick

My M60's make me listen
x94blair3 #155362 01/11/07 09:07 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
It all depends on how much you want to spend, whats your maximum budget? (becuase you're going to want to use it all! )

Producer | Composer
www.robbhutzal.com
x94blair3 #155363 01/11/07 09:10 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Nick, I'm not sure how large your room is but in a medium size room I think you will see the STF-2 or any decent sub make a big contribution to watching movies and music.
If it was me I would get the SFT-2 at the great price they are offering, then down the road when finances permit, you can always upgrade or even use two subs.

HomeDad #155364 01/12/07 02:03 AM
local
OP Offline
local
So using two subs is a pretty common or accepted solution? I certainly wouldn't mind if I had to upgrade or add on later, I'm just always really hesitant to not "maximize" my dollar.

As you say, the STF-2 seems like a great deal - very manageable in anyones budget (relative to the ridiculous amount I've already spent. I don't know how much difference a sub would make for music since I'd prefer to use kernel streaming from my PC and it only uses 2 channels of course.

But I'll take the movies into consideration. I definately want the "wow" factor when I'm watching action movies and what not.

Thanks for the helpful input.

My M60's make me listen
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (BBIBH), 580 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup