Rate Thread
Starting over...again
#156778 01/25/07 03:31 AM
S
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
S
I am going to order an Axiom system in the next month or so...probably. My room is 15.5x22x8. I have a Pioneer Elite 72TXV receiver. I currently have a B&W 600 Series 2 system and am looking for more impact and dynamics for home theater use. The B&W's do alot okay, but nothing spectacular...no wow effect. I was looking at the EPIC 80 setup...I hear the center can have a hard time keeping up with the M80 fronts. At $400 a piece, 2 vp-150's are not a problem. I have always owned paradigm and B&W's. I would like a speaker to sound like the studio 100's with a tighter bottom end. It is imparitive to have the front 3 speakers to be a great seamless match. Vertical matching center not an option, as I have a Sammy DLP. I will be using a DIY sub. Is it worth it sonically and dynamically to get the m80's over the m60's? Bookshelf centers? best matches? Emotiva makes afordable amps to handle 4 ohm loads, so that's not an issue. Sorry for the long post, just want to explain fully the first time...maybe. Appreciate system suggestions...from mild to wild.

Re: Starting over...again
stephenftw #156779 01/25/07 04:53 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
When you say DLP im guessing RPTV. If not then i think a 3rd M80 for the center would be a wise choice. I wish I had bought another M80 instead of the VP150 for our theater because It does sound different and I think it does have a hard time keeping up. When playing pink noise you can hear a pretty pronounced difference in the sound. Its not practical unless your using a front projection and a screen you can put speakers behind though.

When im watching movies i dont always think to myself how the center is not keeping up, because it definetly can hold its own but I do sometimes think that it might be better being an M80... If Im ever real curious I will take one of my 80's from my stereo setup down to the theater and try it out!

Haoleb #156780 01/25/07 04:59 AM
S
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
S
Sorry...I knew I'd miss something. Yes, a RPTV DLP...any bookshelf matches closer than the vp-150?

Haoleb #156781 01/25/07 06:53 PM
HAY Offline
aficionado
aficionado
Quote:

When playing pink noise you can hear a pretty pronounced difference in the sound.

Pink Noise
Quote:

Hi jhunt17,

As pmbuko noted and kcarlile stated so gracefully, that "pink noise is not especially representative of how well your center and front speakers will blend with actual movie soundtracks or music," it must be emphasized that pink noise is a brutally revealing test signal.

Pink noise is so revealing of any slight deviations in frequency response, whether caused by your room, interference effects, nearby boundaries, or problems intrinsic to the speaker, that two or three identical speakers in the same room will never have identical timbral signatures with pink noise. That's because a pink-noise signal contains equal energy per octave across the audible spectrum. But when we listen to musical works or movie soundtracks, that never occurs. Content in each octave varies all the time. You can confirm that if you look at any real-time graphic display of music or soundtrack playback. So in effect real music and soundtracks are a much less critical "test" signal. We're far more accepting of slight tonal discrepancies in that we rarely notice them.

But the goal is to locate your center and mains so they have a reasonably close tonal match. Then when you play music or movies, the tonal balance is close enough so you get a nice seamless blend.

And yes, you discovered with your scientific laundry basket test, that a center will often sound its best in free space, on a stand away from the face of the TV display. If you can manage a setup like that, excellent. Otherwise, you have to play around with the center location until you get a reasonably good blend with music or movies.

Regards,

--------------------
Alan Lofft
Axiom Resident Expert

High Gloss Cherry
M60 VP150 QS8
Open for Auditions but please don't drool on the High Gloss
stephenftw #156782 01/25/07 09:20 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
I agree with the above.

I am also one of the few who prefer twin M3s as my centers. I feel that they match prefectly with the 80s I have now or the 60s I had previously

bugbitten #156783 01/25/07 09:38 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Quote:

I agree with the above.

I am also one of the few who prefer twin M3s as my centers. I feel that they match prefectly with the 80s I have now or the 60s I had previously

I really think any of Axioms speakers will match...why else would they sell the Epic Master HT package with M3s as mains and the VP100 as a centre?

Its all a personal preference IMHO.

Producer | Composer
www.robbhutzal.com
Hutzal #156784 01/25/07 09:43 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
Agreed!

bugbitten #156785 01/26/07 12:49 AM
S
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
S
I am currently running 3 B&W 602's for my front 3. I couldn't stand the sound of the matching center...even after countless hours of eq'ing, moving, tilting, grill on..grill off, etc. I just don't want to go through that again.
SEAMLESS ...I like that word, just what I was looking for. Maybe I'll post in the owners section, and they'll chime in.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044