Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Woman sued over her music downloads.
BrenR #156903 01/26/07 10:41 PM
shareholder in the making
Bren, I think that might be the best post I've ever read on the topic.

(though it helps that I agree with your stance!)

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
MarkSJohnson #156904 01/26/07 11:19 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
Quote:

(though it helps that I agree with your stance!)

Usually it's people that create stealable content that do.

Bren R.

BrenR #156905 01/27/07 04:08 AM
aficionado
aficionado
IP rights notwithstanding, the RIAA IS extorting people. They sat over the shoulders of congressmen while the new laws were drafted then sue people based on IP addresses which they claim are proof of the activity. The legislation they basically wrote allows them to make usurous claims they know most people cannot afford to fight then settle for what they claim is a fair amount. EACH and EVERY time a case is actually about to be fought under the microscope of a court of law they promptly drop the case like it's plutionium because they do not want their tactics scrutinized and the fundamental legality of their beloved legislation questioned. And I won't even begin to get into the way they treat the artists who line their pockets. A newly signed artist can for better or worse have a hit album and win awards and all the rest and after all that be in debt to the @ssholes for 7 figures.There is NOTHING noble or good in the way they do business. If you think that their line about "protecting the artists" has any validity whatsoever you have truly drunk the Kool-Aid. They could care less. These are the same people who get 80 cents for each ITunes download and whine and complain and throw tantrums because it's JUST NOT ENOUGH! After 2 BILLION yes 2 FREAKING BILLION with a B downloads. Their response is that CD sales are down ! Ya think? When the equivalent of FOUR HUNDRED FREAKING MILLION ALBUMS HAVE BEEN LEGITIMATELY SOLD THROUGH ITUNES ALONE that CD sales might drop a little? And the downloads cost them NOTHING compared to producing and shipping physical media. THEIR PROFIT MARGINS ARE MUCH HIGHER! Plus the fact that for all their whining they have had record profits! Let's not get in to the part of my anatomy they can kiss.

Last edited by LightninJoe; 01/27/07 04:15 AM.

"That's some catch, that Catch-22." "It's the best there is." M22ti VP150 EP350 QS8 M3Ti
LightninJoe #156906 01/27/07 12:03 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
LightninJoe, you make some good points, but lets look at the reason behind why iTunes has caused album sales to go down - new albums SUCK! Gone are the days when an entire album is worth listening to.

Back in the 50's & mid 60's all anyone bought was singles. And the record companies made tons of money. Most of the artists didn't even write their own stuff. Recording companies had teams of writers in small cubicles cranking out "teen" hits.

Then in the late 60's & most of the 70's, you had some amazing artists that were able to write an entire record for themselves.(most often with a theme or story to tell) And, they could play their own instruments! The record companies made even MORE money. And got greedy.

Then along came the 80's & MTV. Now the focus shifted to the visual appeal of the artist and away from their musical talent. Again, singles came back in the form of a cassette single. Not too many "great" albums that came out of the 80's. And the greed was huge. Remember Milli Vanili? The record company had these songs, but said you are too ugly to perform them. We are going to have these guys over here "sing" them because it will sell better.

90's - Grunge and everything anti-80's, anti-excess became popular. The singer/songwriter was back, and some good ALBUMS were produced. But still, the record companies were cranking out cookie cutter performers. The biggest song for all of the 90's? Yep - Hit Me Baby One More Time.

2000's - I have absolutely no idea what is going on now, so I won't even comment.

The point being - I have countless CD's that I paid $15 to $20 for, just for one song, and the rest SUCK.

Frankly, I love the iTune model. I am able to listen to a snippet and if I like it, download the single song for a dollar. I think to survive, CD stores will have to take on this model. You go in with either your MP3 player/iPod OR a flash card, and only buy the songs you want at a self serve pod.

Until artists and the RIAA stop producing "filler", the general public will keep trying to share/steal single songs.

[Sorry for spelling and grammar]

Shawn

Epic 80/600 + M3's + M3 Algonquins + M2 Computer + EP125
I think I'm developing an addiction.
real80sman #156907 01/27/07 05:29 PM
C
CV Offline
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
C
People will always find a way to justify stealing their entertainment. At work, a guy who burns movies says, "But I'm a college student, and I'm saving for a house. Plus, the movies aren't even that good. They're not worth what they charge." And yet not watching them doesn't seem to be an option. Stealing sends a less clear message to the creators. It says, "I want them, but I don't want to pay for them. Find ways to make me pay." If we want better content, let's show an actual lack of demand for what they're pushing.

real80sman #156908 01/27/07 10:18 PM
aficionado
aficionado
My point isn't that it's ok to steal the stuff. My point is that the RIAA members have brought this on themselves. They push artists to release new material faster than they can write it therefore compromising quality then squeeze every last penny out of them before dumping them. Further, as soon as an artist that is "different" has some success they co-opt the look, the sound, the whole thing and package Joe P. McPrettyboy to sell the whole thing as if it were new, turning the whole thing into a homogenized, soulless mess. The movie industry is exactly the same.

As far as the RIAA lawsuits go, read what I said above. They WILL NOT GO TO COURT unless they are 100% positive of the outcome. Snoop around a little and you will see that they drop the cases immediately when there is even the smallest shadow of doubt. The only time they have pursued a case in court is when they had a chance to set a precedent. This is the case where they sued a woman who then said it was possible that her children might have downloaded the music. They Real Imbecils Assaulting Americans pursued that case so they could set the precedent that a parent is financially liable to them for their minor children's activity. That is the ONLY case they have pursued.

Believe you me, we are firmly in the technology age and Big Business is writing the legislation that will govern how YOU will do things in YOUR HOME with your legally purchased media. DMCA, Net Neutrality, media consolidation, these aren't just vague concepts or blurbs you hear in the media. These people want to control the channel from the artists lips all the way to your ears and eyes. Do you want NewsCorp dictating everything you see and hear, and the price you pay for it? TimeWarner? THAT is what this is about. Every time the RIAA or the MPAA gets a win in court, or in Congress, or a payout for some poor schmuck to broke and scared to fight them is a loss for all of our rights. Those are the stakes. HDMI is a horrible standard for video connections. Why was it picked? Well, they want all content going through a single cable (HDMI 2 will carry all content, including video, digital audio, SACD, etc) so they can put a content protection scheme on it (HDCP anyone?) making it impossible to play "illegal" content. HDMI was the only one around that fit the bill at the time, technical inferiority be damned.

So, if this continues, will will be watching crap movies and listening to crap music (even more so, I suppose) and crappier TV and we won't have much choice in the matter. They will deliver whatever message they want, make it impossible to FF past advertising, and filter anything they don't want you to see or hear. Sound good? Not to me. Luckily, the indie music and movie scene is strong as ever. I fear TV is lost forever with only a few exceptions. My adv ice to you is: Keep ahold of your last receiver and CD player. Don't toss your older DVD player. Someday those old CDs and DVDs won't play on your newfangled equipment because they have no DRM on them. And what's the value of that to the media giants? Make sure you have an old copy of Windows or MacOS with no DRM crap built in. Linux users will never have to worry. Until it is legislated out of existence, that is.

"That's some catch, that Catch-22." "It's the best there is." M22ti VP150 EP350 QS8 M3Ti
LightninJoe #156909 01/29/07 06:00 AM
Well said!

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
LightninJoe #156910 01/31/07 07:44 PM
devotee
devotee
Well said, indeed. I agree.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465