Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Expert Advice Needed- Any response appreciated !!!
#156979 01/29/07 01:10 AM
T
treyp1 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
I would appreciate any suggestions/tips anyone is gracious enough to give regarding my Home Theatre set-up. I just purchased a new HDTV and want to replace my old speakers with a set of Axioms (front, center, sub and surrounds). I have a Yahama Rx-v659 7.1 receiver (7 x 100w). Below is a diagram of my room (approx 1260 cubic ft). The surrounds would need to be mounted on the ceiling and directed down towards the couch.

I have several questions: Not sure if I should go 5.1 or 7.1? Use Presence or Back surround layout if 7.1? Bookshelf vs Floor standing? Which Subwoofer would do the job? QS4s vs QS8s? VP100 vs VP150?

The man in me wants the bigger, floor standing speakers but I honestly don't know if I need them with the space I have..... can someone please set me straight and point me in the right direction!!!

Thanks!!!

Re: Expert Advice Needed- Any response appreciated
treyp1 #156980 01/29/07 01:33 AM
J
veteran
veteran
J
Welcome treyp1.

Your room isn't too big, so I don't believe that floorstanders are necessary, unless you like your music really loud. My room is similar to yours in size and my M22's sound excellent IMO. Center, again you don't *need* the VP150 as the VP100 should fill that size of room just fine. You can consider the VP150 if you plan to move to a bigger room eventually to avoid upgraditis.

As for surrounds, the choice for 5.1 or 7.1 is up to you. Your room is small enough that 5.1 should be very effective and a couple of well placed QS8's would give you a very enveloping experience. If you find this insufficient, you can always order another set of speakers later.

The sub choice is a little harder to suggest. An EP350 would fill that room with enough bass, but an EP500 gives you much more extension and even more power . I upgraded from a 350 to a 500 recently and the different in extension is clearly audible, but in the upper-bass range the two sound quite similar. If you had budgeted for floorstanders and 7.1 (and decide to go with bookshelves and 5.1), you might want to dump the money saved into a nice sub like the EP500. You won't regret it for many years to come. There's also other options you can look at too, such as an HSU VTF3-MK3 or one of the SVS subs. These both offer excellent performance as well, but won't match the finish you decide on for the rest of your speakers (unless you go with black).

Don't forget that you can order from the factory outlet, which gives you 10% off with the possibility of a slight cosmetic blemish and a bit of a wait. The speakers are brand new (not used) but can't be sold for full price since they may have a minor nick or scratch. Most users who buy them can never find what's wrong with them. They will sound as good as regular price speakers. You also get another 5% off if you order 5 or more items at the same time.

Just a few ideas to get you started. Good luck deciding and enjoy .

____________________________ M22 VP100 QS8 EP500 Yamaha HTR-5960
Re: Expert Advice Needed- Any response appreciated !!!
treyp1 #156981 01/29/07 02:43 AM
shareholder in the making
Trey, another welcome. Since you're going to be sitting almost up against the back wall, there really isn't enough room for back surround speakers to develop a good effect. It's suggested that you mount your side surround QSs(4s should be enough)spread as widely as possible and also just a few inches from the back wall(if in fact you have to mount them on the ceiling rather than the back wall).

As to using front presence speakers(this usually isn't referred to as 7.1, although, of course, seven speakers are used), I've never personally heard them in use, but the reports I've seen haven't been all that enthusiastic. It would seem that the budget should at least cover other items first.

In that size room M22s with possibly an M2 center should be excellent. You ask which sub would "do the job", and although I'm using an EP500 with great results with my M22s in a room not too different in overall size from yours, if your budget is a little tight when you get to that point a lower-priced sub should still be adequate.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

treyp1 #156982 01/29/07 04:51 PM
B
hobbyist
hobbyist
B
I am purchasing shortly for a VERY similar setup to yours (sectional couch opposite the TV against back/side walls).

I am going with the M60/VP150/QS8s and the EP500...

If not for some setup problems, I'd go with M22s. However, my sub placement will be in the back of the room (there's a "hole" behind the corner of my curving sectional couch)... so I'm going with the M60s to spread a little bass to the front. (Dunno if it will work.) If I could get the sub in front, I'd go with M22s for the fronts... and my room is a bit bigger. (The Axiom Rep actually still suggested I go with M22s, despite rear sub placement...)

I'm going with the VP150 because I will be using a stand to put it in front of the TV (I have a big-ol' CRT with the receiver, etc. on top)... if I were about 2 feet closer (I'm about 15 feet away) I'd probably use the VP100 (especially with M22s) and figure out how to get it on top of the TV.

5.1 with QS8s would be my suggestion. Opinions are split on whether 7.1 is even all that great... and certainly, in your room, 5.1 is the way to go. I'd go with QS8s for several reasons: First, the quadpole surround is one of Axiom's best... supposedly a GREAT multi-pole surround... so get the "best" version of their arguably "best" (at least highly rated and unique) speaker. Also... the drivers in the QS8s match the drivers in the VPs, M22s, and the tweeter/mid in M60s. The 4" drivers in the QS4s match... nothing. (But they're still supposedly great.) Finally, avoid upgradeitis.

Lastly... EP500 all the way. If you read the reviews, the EP500/EP600 get rave reviews... the DSP stuff, the extension, the output... all a very impressive thing. Awesome bass is key to HT. In my opinion, it adds the most "wow" factor to the HT experience. Great, clean low extension? Awesome. (However... this might be, apart from cost... one of the easier parts of the system to "try out" and upgrade in the 30 day period. If you buy the EP350 and are blown away... great! If not, send it back and get an EP500. But I'd just go with the EP500 so you don't have to spend the next few years sorta wishing you had. It's admittedly pricey, though.) A side note... if you do a lot of reading, you'll see a guy named Craigsub, a reported sub guru, rated the Hsu VTF3MkIII over the EP500, and it's $475 cheaper, shipped. Bigger than the EP500 in size though, and doesn't match the finishes if you aren't planning on black.

Anyway... my recommendation is M22s, VP100, QS8s, EP500. Good stuff.

treyp1 #156983 03/02/07 11:21 PM
T
treyp1 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Appreciate all the advice..... I ended up ordering an Epic Grand Master 500 system last week.

I can't wait to fire up the EP500 and shake the house!!!!

Trey

treyp1 #156984 03/03/07 01:03 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Now that was the smoothest "what do I need" thread ever.

Poster gives a great diagram with specific questions and BANG he's set up.

Good choice on systems BTW.

LIFE IS SHORT.
DON'T BE A DICK.
treyp1 #156985 03/03/07 03:18 AM
Very good, Trey. M22s plus an EP500(my setup)in your rather small room will be impressive indeed.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

treyp1 #156986 03/03/07 08:17 AM
local
local
If it were me.

M22s, VP100, Q8s, EP500 (if budget is tight and high WAF).

M60s, VP150, Q8s, EP500 (if budge it flexable and wife likes serious audio gear).

I personally think 7.1 is overkill. I'd stick with 5.1.

Last edited by KC23; 03/03/07 08:19 AM.
treyp1 #156987 03/03/07 10:25 AM
J
J
I would have suggested a 6.1 set up and try to pull the rear couch forward a foot or 2(if allowed). I have found the rear center to be very pleasing, certainly enhances action films when something comes straight out of the back.

Anyway, good choice on all the speakers and I applaud your first post, well done.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
treyp1 #156988 03/04/07 02:48 PM
T
treyp1 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Jason, in regards to 6.1, I do plan on taking an existing surround speaker and giving it a try. I dont have room to move the couch off the wall, but my receiver can be adjusted so the surround back channel can be only 1/2 foot from the listening position. I'm curious to hear what it will sound like. If it works, I can see another QS8 coming as a Christmas gift !!!!

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,477
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044