Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Disturbing Conduct by SVS
Ajax #157318 02/02/07 07:27 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
Quote:

If they made crap, I could understand behavior like this, but they don't make crap.

The company themselves don't seem to share owners' enthusiasm for their product... either they're worried about, or experiencing, declining sales and have resorted to this kind of huckstering, even after Sony was spanked over doing it for the PS3.

I mean, you always have to take anything you read with a grain of salt... getting to the point where you have to assume everything is a lie until proven otherwise.

Bren R.

Ajax #157319 02/02/07 08:29 PM
jakeman Offline OP
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
Jack has seen alot of the same fanboy marketing deception over at AVS and has often been subjected to attacks there as well. Its ironic how this kind of unethical conduct has a way of catching up to companies that condone it. Its really short term thinking because many people will not want to buy products from companies that conduct their business to that lowly standard. Especially when there are so many other great competitively priced subs to choose from. What a bunch of lowlifes.

Audioholics must have wrestled with this dilemna but their decision reflects a strong sense of right and wrong. It's reassuring to see that many people will not tolerate this kind of business ethic.

John
jakeman #157320 02/02/07 11:33 PM
axiomite
axiomite
yes...kudos to audioholics as well. It's always been one of my favorite audio websites.

spiffnme #157321 02/02/07 11:40 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
>>yes...kudos to audioholics as well. It's always been one of my favorite audio websites.>>

If it wasn't for Audioholics, I wouldn't even have an Axiom System! They should get my commission check!

Producer | Composer
www.robbhutzal.com
Hutzal #157322 02/03/07 09:13 AM
frequent flier
frequent flier
They (Audioholics) have my cheque (checkU$). The minute I heard about this, I signed up with Audioholics as a (quite small, miniscule actually) advertiser. I felt it was worth a few bucks to support their dismissal of SVS for predatory marketing tactics.

I was quite fond of SVS at one point, strictly from the point of view that "hey, those guys found out that you can make subs out of hardware store parts".

No argument with their ability to actually build - and sell - bass cabinets (and praises to SVS for hiring Ed Mullen), but I'm fed up with neo-social-network-marketing (all marketing, in fact). It became all too obvious that some companies are using this media to push their product.

Audioholics brought me to Axiom, and I decided to give some love back. A drop in the bucket, I know, but it's a good bucket.

btw, After checking out many other sub MFGs, I bought Axiom. Had to return the first one (EP-500, WAY too much SPL for my neighbours ), but looking forward to the EP-400 (ooh, yeah - feel it on the inside!)

Down: 2xM60 2xM3 EP400; NAD T763AV C272 C542CDP Up: 2xM60; NAD 1600pre C272 533TT PP2
jakeman #157323 02/03/07 12:14 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Quote:

Jack has seen alot of the same fanboy marketing deception over at AVS and has often been subjected to attacks there as well.

Indeed! As David Bott pointed out in the post I quoted earlier in this thread, things have quieted considerably over at AVS. However, even in the thread in which Mr. Bott posted, there were a couple of "fanboys" vigorously defending the company in question by attacking those who posted critical comments about this type of unethical marketing, accusing them of "agendas" and attempting to justify this dishonest marketing with the old "Well they aren't the only one doing it" argument. That may be true, but it's irrelevant. And, both Audioholics and AVS are worthy of praise for clamping down on those who resort to deceptive marketing tactics.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
Ajax #157324 02/03/07 02:55 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Quote:

both Audioholics and AVS are worthy of praise for clamping down on those who resort to deceptive marketing tactics

Someone want to explain to me why we can't do this with car salesmen?

I think everyone becomes a 'fanboy' at some point or another, until their horizons broaden. To show proof, we could always start another "Axioms are bright" thread.

Last edited by chesseroo; 02/03/07 02:56 PM.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
Ajax #157325 02/03/07 03:20 PM
jakeman Offline OP
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
Quote:

And, both Audioholics and AVS are worthy of praise for clamping down on those who resort to deceptive marketing tactics.

Deceptive marketing tactics don't just stop in the marketing department and are indicative of a low ethical standard throughout a company. In my years in business I've found a fairly high correlation between companies that condone low standards of behaviour and other misleading practices. Specs are often misrepresented for example.

I've noticed that no independent parties have ever been able to replicate the unusually flat FR curves presented at the SVS site except for the PB10. I certainly wasn't able to come up with any linear FR above 40hz with my testing of the Ultra. Neither did the independently done graphs at AVTalk and Home Theatre Shack. It reminds me of my grandmother and how she would always say "you can't fool all the people all the time."

John
chesseroo #157326 02/03/07 06:13 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Quote:

To show proof, we could always start another "Axioms are bright" thread.

I prefer instead to think that Axiom owners are bright.

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
chesseroo #157327 02/03/07 08:14 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Quote:

Quote:

both Audioholics and AVS are worthy of praise for clamping down on those who resort to deceptive marketing tactics

Someone want to explain to me why we can't do this with car salesmen?

Laughed aloud at this.

Quote:

I think everyone becomes a 'fanboy' at some point or another, until their horizons broaden.

I agree with this statement. When I remember how amazed I was upon hearing my Axioms, finding them head and shoulders above anything I'd ever heard and owned, I became an instant "fanboy." However, even though my horizons have "broadened" I still remain a huge "fan" of the company, the people, and the product.

Quote:

To show proof, we could always start another "Axioms are bright" thread.

My problem with the "Axioms are bright" statement is that, since some people don't find them bright, any all-inclusive, absolute statement, either way, cannot be accurate. IMHO, such a statement is the classic error of thinking one's experience with a given product will define everyone's experience with that product. Now if you want to make it "some people find Axioms bright," you'll get no argument from me.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082