Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Question about NAD Receivers
#15843 07/22/03 03:02 AM
getoffb Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
I have been in the process of looking at Receivers and Pre/Pro+Amp setups for the past 4 months now. I started out looking at the generic Onkyo/Sony/Yamaha/Denon offerings, and was quite pleased with some of them. But I started thinking that this purchase would last me for a LONG time, and that I would spend some more money if I needed too to get something that would last a long time.

I looked at several different receivers, and recently I have become quite intrigued with the NAD T572 Receiver. I like it because it has pre outs on channels for Amps that I can add down the road, it sounds really, really good, to me it looks phenominal in its minimalist sort of way and I can get a fairly decent price on it in a store right across the street from my apartment, which isnt the deciding factor by any means, but is still important for some reason to me.

I have read many reviews about the recevier and all seem to really like it. But, I would like to know how actual users feel about the T752 and about NAD products in general.

In the few months that I have been around here, I can't recall a single time NAD being mentioned when someone was looking for a receiver. Is there something wrong with them? Do people not like their products? Whats the deal?

Thanks!

Re: Question about NAD Receivers
#15844 07/22/03 03:08 AM
T
local
local
T
I owned a NAD integrated amplified for a few years, I was more than pleased with it. I am actually considering getting the same receiver.

#15845 07/22/03 04:26 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
My dad got the 752 and it is excellent. Majority of the individuals here have the Denon or Pioneer Elite model. I believe (I maybe wrong) that the reason why more individuals get the Denon over other brands because you get quality and more extras for equal or less price. Denons have more channels already powered. The 752 is only 5.1 with pre-outs for 7.1. My dads 752 is equally as powerful as my flagship Rotel RSX 1065, at half the Rotels cost.
The only issue I have with the 752 is that when the amp gets hot the internal fan kicks in and it can get audibly annoying.
Best bet is to go demo them and let your ears do the walking.

Saturn

#15846 07/22/03 08:21 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
In reply to:

I looked at several different receivers, and recently I have become quite intrigued with the NAD T572 Receiver. I like it because it has pre outs on channels for Amps that I can add down the road, ...

I think pretty much all of the latest receivers in this price category have all-channel pre-outs, so that you can use separate power amp(s) on a part or all of the channels.

I don't think the NAD sound particularly better than other brands in the similar price range, but if you like their "minimalist" design taste, go for it by all means. NAD used to have serious reliability problems, so make sure you double ckeck about it with your dealer.

#15847 07/22/03 05:04 PM
buff
buff
l have the NAD C370 integrated amp and l am real happy with it, l've had it now for a little over a year and have had no reliability problems.

Cheers
Al

NAD Quality revisited ;)
#15848 07/22/03 06:16 PM
old hand
old hand
As noted in my previous post (somewhere) I've been having problems with my NAD C540.

My problems with the C370 -- there is "static" coming out of the speakers when I adjust the volume, and at a setting of "zero", it is not totally quiet. I think I need a new volume pot.

I bought both of these items last summer, so unless NAD has drastically improved their quality control I'm sure the new products will still have the occasional problem.

Good luck.

Re: NAD Quality revisited ;)
#15849 07/22/03 06:42 PM
getoffb Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
I took a trip back to the NAD dealer and asked him about any reliability/quality issues with NAD products and he flipped out. He told me that for as long as he had sold NAD products, not a single one had ever had a problem.

I asked if he had ever sold a NAD product before. No matter how good of a product that a company makes, there will always be problems with something, nothing is absolutely perfect. While I was in there, the phone rang and he had to go back into his office to get something. While back there, I looked into there little Repair Shop/ Storage Area, and to my surprise, I saw at least 5 different NAD products sitting on the work bench...hmmmm...not a single problem huh?

I then asked the guy if he could give me some names of people around here that had NAD products so I could ask them about them, get a first hand response from somebody, instead of just reviews on internet and this sales guy. He said that he couldnt do it, which I understood, but asked of maybe he could call them, and have them call me if they wanted to. He said that he didnt have the time to do that.

Not only was this guy unhelpful, he was also very un-friendly and a blatant liar. Which I have come to expect from Salesmen lately.

So, I have pretty much thrown the idea of a NAD Receiver out the window. What else is comparable to the T752 in this price range, under $1000.

Many people seem to really like the Denon offerings, which I myslef have never had a chance to hear. Also, are Pioneer Elites nice products?

Any suggestions are welcome.

#15850 07/22/03 07:05 PM
axiomite
axiomite
After reading your post i could not help but remember a similar occurrence a couple of months ago that i had with a salesman.
After a short listen to some components at a locally renowned store, the salesman had asked me what i was looking to buy. Of course i told him i was considering some components for a future system but just browsing nonetheless.
He asked what i was using now so i proudly told him about my Axiom system and the rather decent components i had to drive them with. Unfortunately his face twisted somewhat blank when i mentioned Axiom which basically made me think he had never heard of them before.
He then promptly asked what cables i was using with my system and started going into a little fable about how changing this cable and that would help out my system in getting to the moon,.....etc.
I made a simple remark about how i don't believe cables would make any difference and then he proceeded to insult me.
Shortly thereafter i had a discussion with his manager who was far more helpful than this salesman. This store is very well known for its business and i was a bit shocked at this shoddy treatment.
The manager agreed that the salesman should have just kept quiet about his personal disagreement with a customer.
It is kind of hard to sell equipment if you argue with the buyers.
The manager had then also asked that i come back to the store on an evening when he was there so he could personally help me setup any items i was interested in auditioning. Needless to say i left the store as a satisfied customer and certainly would do business there again.
Last time i was in the shop, the salesman was no longer in the audio section (but still in the store).

Anyway, as for your Pioneer Elite question, at least one or two people in the forums have as of late, confirmed the solid quality performance of this brand.

Yes, it is a slow day at work today.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
#15851 07/22/03 07:25 PM
shareholder in the making
GO, the Pioneer Elites are very nice and the MCACC automatic speaker calibration and equalization feature might make it a first choice in the $700-$800 area. A few of the 45TX, which is being closed out, are supposedly still available, and its replacement, the 53TX is just coming out.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

#15852 07/22/03 07:55 PM
When I was researching receivers, I found the Harman/Kardon 525 was a very good value, and certainly equivalent (and with more features than) the NAD. If you can afford it, you might look at the H/K 7200, a step (fairly large, as I recall) up from the 525.

Oh, and while the 525 does not have the built in automatic speaker calibration, it does have an SPL meter integrated into the remote that helps you set up the speakers.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
#15853 07/22/03 09:08 PM
aficionado
aficionado
i have the yammi rxv1300, which i love. some say they're too bright to match with axioms, but i disagree.
dan

#15854 07/22/03 09:22 PM
500 Offline
old hand
old hand
I have had good luck with my Onkyo sr 700. I bought it because I was in the same situation as you and wanted the pre outs. I also have a Yamaha rxv-630 that I got for $419 (U.S.)which also has preouts. Both work great so far. I have had the Onk for almost a year (also owned an older prologic Onkyo in the past with zero problems and didn't hesatate to buy the sr700) and the yammy for six months. No trouble yet. If you go to onkyo's web site you can find a list of authorized internet dealers that have great prices,$100-$200 cheaper than local dealers, and the 2yr warranty will be honored. If you consider the Onkyo's do not use them with M80's or other 4ohm speakers, some people on this board have reported problems with that combo.

#15855 07/23/03 11:13 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
getoffb,

I've made quite a few posts on the Pioneer Elite 45TX receiver in this forum, as a very happy 45TX owner. Just search the entire message board on "45TX" and you'll see many posts...

#15856 07/26/03 03:52 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I wouldnt say that NAD has had MAJOR reliablity problems. There have been problems with their older version cd players with tracking and playing cd-r's but as far as i know those have since been fixed. i own the C370 and i have had it in service about a year and a half ago because one day when i moved the amp the left channel went really weak and then when i would knock the amp it would come back in. i let it go like that for a couple months i think until it was just too bad to leave so i sent it in, it needed a new volume control and it has worked just fine since. a faulty volume control is just as much as ALPS fault (who makes the pot) as it is NAD. more infact. i do notice some slight static when i change the volume at times but i am told this is because of the motor that is hooked up to the volume. Perhaps, perhaps not. But it doesnt bother me. although i sent my nad in, i still reccomend their products and i would buy them again in the future without doubt. i almost bought a C541i cdp just a few days ago but i havent the money :-(

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,944
Posts442,472
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
2 members (Cork, chapin99), 316 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup