Re: Hello, new Axiom owner with a question
PeterChenoweth #159116 02/22/07 12:48 AM
P
PDXGuy Offline OP
buff
OP Offline
buff
P
Well, indeed DHL came through today and managed delivery. However, my worst fear came true: one box had significant damage, resulting in a mashed mid-range...

Now I suppose I'll have to ship the entire speaker back, or can they simply ship a replacement mid-range? Has anyone gone through this? I suppose if I do it it'll void the warranty though. I'm about to find out.

I'd like to give credit to Noreen, who has been extremely helpful, and went above and beyond the call of duty in getting the delivery issue straightened out. She's fantastic!

The reason I needed the speakers is because I'm having a dinner party this weekend and wanted to show off...yes, I'm loaded with ego...but not a bad sort of ego. I'll make do; my brother-in-law is bringing his cheap Polks

Now that I have them, I must say the build quality of the Axioms is excellent in every detail. They're solid, heavy, and the craftsmanship is superb. Really, with the exception of the DHL fiasco and damage, I'm a very happy camper.

As an FYI, Noreen told me in the future I can specify FedEx as a shipper; this is good to know. They don't ship UPS.

OK, off to call Axiom, and thanks to all for the moral support through this, it really helped me cope.

Oh, and thanks for the update on Magnolia. I bought my first stereo system from them over 25 years ago in Seattle...a Yamaha receiver, Yamaha turntable and Advent speakers. Interesting how things change. And yes, they're pricey.

Regards,

Steve

Steve Axiom M60v2, VP100v2, SVS SB12-Plus Yamaha HTR-5990, Oppo DV-981HD Samsung LN-S4692D
PDXGuy #159117 02/22/07 01:11 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Ouch!

Even with one midrange tied behind it's back, the M60's will still sound good.

Yeah, that's about what one of my boxes looked like too. I bet that Axiom will just send you another driver - a whole lot cheaper for everyone than cross-shipping speakers, I'd imagine.

Have you listened to them? Does the damaged M60 sound different from the good one? Morbid curiosity. Axiom will correct the situation, I'm sure, but in the meantime they might sound just fine for your party. Just leave the grills on .

M80v2 | VP150v2 | QS8v2
SVS Pci+ 20-39
Emotiva UMC-1 & LPA-1
M22ti + T-Amp, in the Office
PeterChenoweth #159118 02/22/07 02:19 AM
aficionado
aficionado
Hi Steve,

I'm glad you finally were able to get your speakers. I pray with all my might, that mine didn't receive any damage.

My theater has been under construction for the past eight months as I've been remodeling it. It's not quite finished, two more weeks and it'll all be complete, finally.

However, until then, it's a mess down there and as a result, I haven't had the chance to unbox my speakers yet to see if they're alright, or if they got damaged.

I'm really not overly thrilled about having to unbox them all upstairs in the living room, just to box them back up to take down to the theater room once it's finished. However, I most likely will be doing just that, because I don't feel comfortable waiting two more weeks to unbox them only to find that there was damaged caused during shipping.

PDXGuy #159119 02/22/07 02:42 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
It is pretty easy to swap out a driver. Unless things have changed, there shouldn't be any soldering involved in this process. All you have to do remove the driver, unclip two wire leads, hook up the new driver and you're done.

Unscrew that driver and have a look inside...It's quite refreshing to see the innards of a speaker...

*Michael*
AV123 Refugee - X-LS Encore, X-Voce, X-Omnis, Elt-Dpa's
Denon AVR-591
Magnavox NB500MGX BDP

richeydog #159120 02/22/07 05:32 AM
P
PDXGuy Offline OP
buff
OP Offline
buff
P
Well, it would be nice if that's the case; much easier than shipping speakers to and fro. I'll give Noreen a ring tomorrow and see if that's possible.

Steve Axiom M60v2, VP100v2, SVS SB12-Plus Yamaha HTR-5990, Oppo DV-981HD Samsung LN-S4692D
Sutter Cane #159121 02/22/07 05:38 AM
P
PDXGuy Offline OP
buff
OP Offline
buff
P
Quote:

I'm really not overly thrilled about having to unbox them all upstairs in the living room, just to box them back up to take down to the theater room once it's finished. However, I most likely will be doing just that, because I don't feel comfortable waiting two more weeks to unbox them only to find that there was damaged caused during shipping.

It's probably a good idea to do so. The last thing you want to do is discover damage at the last minute and then have to wait another week or so for replacement or repair before being able to set them up once your construction is completed. Of course I'm hoping there is no damage, but if there is, get it fixed before the theater is completed. Be ready for opening day

PDXGuy #159122 02/22/07 05:55 AM
aficionado
aficionado
Quote:

Quote:

It's probably a good idea to do so. The last thing you want to do is discover damage at the last minute and then have to wait another week or so for replacement or repair before being able to set them up once your construction is completed. Of course I'm hoping there is no damage, but if there is, get it fixed before the theater is completed. Be ready for opening day

I totally agree with you. Tonight I opened my two pairs of QS8's, thankfully they're fine.

In the morning I'll be opening my VP150 and M80's to see if they're ok. Actually, I may end up checking out VP150 before I call it a night tonight, but the M80's I'll be checking in the morning.

I'll let ya know if there's any damage. Gawd I pray that there isn't. As of now though, so far so good.

Sutter Cane #159123 02/22/07 07:33 AM
aficionado
aficionado
Ok, damn I'm tired now. lol

Unboxed and checked all my speakers, and I'm so thankful to say that there's no damages whatsoever. Well, to the speakers that is.

One of the grills on one of my M80's is missing two pegs.
It looks as if they broke off inside the, well whatever it's called where you snap them into place, the cabinet I suppose.

So......tomorrow I'll be contacting Axiom about that, and in the meanwhile I'll have to figure out how to get the broken part of the pegs out of the little holes they snap into.

I can't complain too much though, at least all my speakers are fine.

Sutter Cane #159124 02/22/07 07:59 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Well, I might as well let it be known, that my EP500 arrived with some pretty major box damage as well. The sub itself was unharmed, but it makes you wonder what the heck DHL is doing to these packages. As banged up as the boxes are, there's always the chance that something could have been damaged on the inside that isn't readily visable.

I'm sure the good folks up North are on top of this, but DHL sure needs a stern talking to. The Axiom gang has worked FAR too hard to earn their impecable reputation. It'd be a shame to have a lousy shipping company tarnish it in any way.

spiffnme #159125 02/22/07 08:59 AM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Okay, I'll have to note that two days after I got the notice that my EP500 had shipped, DHL delivered it. The box didn't really even have a scratch on it and the foam packing inserts were intact(five years ago a couple of them were cracked when Fed Ex delivered my M22s). So, my delivery experience with them was flawless.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082