Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: (Mac people) Has anyone looked into this?
ditcin #159160 02/20/07 01:46 PM
veteran
veteran
I am really torn on the Apple - PC battle. I have both at home and use the Mac primarily and prefer it. However, it will soon be time to pick up a new desktop and I don't know if I want to go with Mac or PC. I prefer the OS X to Windows (haven't tried Vista yet) and could run either on the Mac which is nice.

But it seems like I could put together a better computer for less taking the PC route.

I hate how Mac makes it so you have to be so strategic about when you buy. If they would just let you personalize your computer like Dell a lot of this would be mitigated. Not to mention not having a new OS X version come out every year.

I'm not sure that Mac support is anything spectacular. I get the snake oil feeling as well not that I think many of the other computer makers are any better.

J

Jordan #159161 02/20/07 02:42 PM
old hand
old hand
Jordan,
For the short time my G5 was working properly there were many amazing things about it, and its operating system I very much enjoyed. Its simplicity, especially when deleting a program, as such are extraordinary. However, due to Apple having only about 5%
of the computer market makes their products extremely limiting, especially creatively. They boast on how much one can do with a Mac, but the gambit the programs are too extreme. They are either extremely simplistic or vastly complex. Either way the price tag on these programs are over priced. The basic audio and video editing programs each Mac is shipped with are nice but very basic – to up grade them just a little with iLife is rip off considering what one can purchase for PC. The big mistake people make on that end is lack of ram and memory on PC and thus encounter poor quality or dropped frames.
Color-wise I’d admit the Mac’s are incredible – especially in photoshop. I agree with you that Apple should be more like Dell in in configuring a consumer’s purchase, and if you order from their site they try. The tech that came to my home admitted because Apple has only 5% of the market they can’t afford to keep a replacement parts inventory like someone like Dell. Beside, Apple has their part specially produced – sometimes just for a single release. Unlike Dell which can trade out from anyone since the Windows platform is more wide-spread. This makes sense from the company’s view but where does that leave the consumer who invests in a configured machine which may be only offered for a year then when parts run out – are truly gone – leaving one without company support because they feel the machine has outlasted it technical welcome!
That is scary, and very unknown to many. I would love to have an Apple notebook and know I can feel completely safe to surf the web. But the trade off of owning one weighs highly against it. My first sighting of Vista makes me laugh since it is so “Mac”. But in the end, if I can have part of what makes a Mac so nice to have work within the safer consumer environment of the PC so be it. Companies need to realize they aren’t the only one counting beans – consumers need to, too.

ditcin #159162 02/20/07 02:55 PM
bray Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
In the title of my thread I made sure to add (Mac people) thinking somehow this wouldnt become a Mac bashing thread.

Silly me.

I could go on and on with how I've seen Macs totally abused in a photo studio enviroment but still do there job................but

Oh nevermind

LIFE IS SHORT.
DON'T BE A DICK.
bray #159163 02/20/07 03:36 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Meh, a computer is a computer. It'll only do what it's programmed to do. Sure you get some lemons here and there. Sure some people like one GUI over another. Sure Windows has problems, but MacOS does as well and always has. Now that every major desktop OS is on the x86 platform your choice is mostly one of either taste or functionality.

Personally, I love the modern Mac GUI. And I love having that good ol' Unix terminal in there to do geek stuff on. But I am a gamer as well, so I have an XP/Vista machine. I refuse to tout one over the other because they both do what I want them to do and they do it well.

And now to the point. I ordered an AppleTV because with the HDD built in and HDTV output it seems like a great way to get our media onto the new TV. I don't know if $300 is too expensive or not. We'll just have to see. I'm not an aficionado of industrial design but it looks nice enough, better than many I suppose. My current Netgear unit streams only and has no HDD which causes problems at times and has no HDTV support at all. So we'll just see if this thing does the trick.

"That's some catch, that Catch-22." "It's the best there is." M22ti VP150 EP350 QS8 M3Ti
LightninJoe #159164 02/20/07 04:25 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Macs suck.

My Mom always used Golden Delicious and Granny Smith for the best pies.

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
bray #159165 02/20/07 04:44 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Disclaimer: I'm a PC guy, but I appreciate what Apple has done for the MP3 player market and for their polished and (usually) well polished UI skills. Although I'm the only person I know that regularly crashes Macs as soon as I use them.

I was excited about it until I read that it didn't support regular TV and was not a DVR. I haven't jumped on the HDTV bandwagon yet, and the AppleTV requires at least a 480i set.

Personally I believe a MacMini is a better investment as an enterainment device in my HT. Yes, it's twice as much at $599, but along with the FrontRow interface you get a real PC that can actually hold/manage your iTunes library (my understanding is that Music is still streamed, while it's the video content that is actually copied), sync up your iPod, work with any TV, surf the web, burn CD/DVD's, write your papers, etc, etc, etc.

If the AppleTV had DVR functionality, and I had an HDTV, then it might be worth it.

Last edited by PeterChenoweth; 02/20/07 04:48 PM.

M80v2 | VP150v2 | QS8v2
SVS Pci+ 20-39
Emotiva UMC-1 & LPA-1
M22ti + T-Amp, in the Office
PeterChenoweth #159166 02/20/07 05:03 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Yeah, it would've been nice if AppleTV had a DVR function. Give them time...

If you want a DVR, you can get a USB versions in SD ($99) and HD ($150) from companies like El Gato and Miglia. I have an SD version from Miglia and it runs a program like EyeTV. VERY easy to use and there's no subscription. So you're only cost is the hardware. You can convert the videos to PSP and iPod very easily. The iPod versions can the be viewed on any iTunes as well.

Something I forgot to mention, now that Peter's on this thread. If you are looking for a Digital Media Adapter, there's always a Series 2 Tivo if you have it. It'll stream photos and music from a PC/Mac to a Tivo.

As far as Mac/PC, that's an endless debate. Taste great/less filling. To each his own.

MarkSJohnson #159167 02/20/07 06:44 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Quote:

Macs suck.

My Mom always used Golden Delicious and Granny Smith for the best pies.

I'm a fool for Fujis.

"That's some catch, that Catch-22." "It's the best there is." M22ti VP150 EP350 QS8 M3Ti
oldskoolboarder #159168 02/20/07 06:50 PM
aficionado
aficionado
There is much speculation that the HDD is there for reasons other than caching iTunes files. Who knows? I'm happy with my current DVR which is provided by Comcast. I just needed a device to hook up to the media on my computer. And HD is certainly a big plus. I have a Mac mini on my desk at home. I suppose I could have used it instead but I want to keep it in my office because it's mine! My own! My precious!

LightninJoe #159169 02/20/07 07:02 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
my understanding is that the HDD is only for caching. It's only 40 GB, so it can only hold so much content.

W/ new products like their new Aiport w/ USB HD capability, I couldn't see them use the AppleTV's HDD for DVR functionality. Makes more sense to use existing space in other places for that.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters