AxiomAudio Blog

Sneak Peek into Axiom’s Current Research and Development

Axiom’s Newest Speaker: The In-Ceiling M3

Outdoor Speaker Placement

Wall'O'Fame
Experimental Atmos
Greetings fellow Axiom owners...
Who's Online
0 registered (), 147 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Financing
Forum Stats
13322 Members
11 Forums
22895 Topics
404590 Posts

Max Online: 378 @ 02/24/13 04:33 PM
Top Posters
Ken.C 17781
pmbuko 16277
SirQuack 13336
CV 11208
MarkSJohnson 10899
Meanwhile On Facebook

󾓶 The first review of the LFR880s is out! "If you are adding or upgrading stere...

So much going on in this month's newsletter - new product announcements, a new v...

Love this comment from Doug T! "The M22 bookshelf speakers sound so clean and a...

󾓶 Andrew has spoken! Big update on the AxiomPlay Wireless Platform on the Axiom...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#159325 - 02/20/07 12:06 AM Receiver for HTPC?
spiffnme Offline
axiomite

Loc: Los Angeles
You may have read in my other post that I'm trying to decide what to use to power my new HTPC. Due to space issues, I simply cannot keep the separates that I'm using now. (Rotel RMB-1075 and RSP-1066)

I really would like to hear as many opinions as possible on this, as I don't like changing gear all that often, so selling the Rotel and buying a receiver while at the same time dipping my toe (more like diving in!) into HTPC is a bit unnerving.

He's the skinny...

I'm building a HTPC and need a receiver to power it.

All video inputs will be run directly into my tv. I don't really need any sort of video switching/up rezing.

What will be running through the receiver is the following...

-6 channels analog out of sound card (using Power DVD Ultra for DVD/Blu-Ray playback - giving me access to lates Dolby and DTS codecs. Also using analog out give me EAX for gaming)

-Time Warner DVR box (HDMI video direct to tv, digital audio to receiver)

-PS2 - (via optical)

-Denon DVD-2900 (at this point pretty much only for SACD/DVD-A playback via analog outputs)

Unless I'm missing something, all I really need the reciever for is audio switching of the above mentioned items, FM/AM (though a minor point), and obviously power amplification. I don't even need a remote, as I'll be using the Harmony 880.

Soo...this is a long winded way of putting these two proposals up to you guys:

Used Denon AVR-5800
New Pioneer Elite VSX-84TXSi
New Denon AVR-3806

From what I've read the 5800 is supposed to be the one time be all end all of all-in-one receivers. It's obviously a bit dated now, and doesn't have all the latest bells and whistles, but as it's use will be limited, perhaps it's a good idea. ??? Also, if I'm not mistaken, it has not one, but two sets of 7 channel analog inputs, making hooking up the sound cards analog channels AND the DVD-2900's a breeze.

On the other hand, I've heard lots of great things about the new batch of receivers, including the Denon 3806 and Pioneer 84TXSi. And it'd be a new unit, not used.

Money-wise they're all reasonably in the same range.

What say you good people? I'll even add a poll to make it more fun, but please post a reply with your reasoning for your vote!
What should I do?
Only one choice allowed

Votes accepted starting: 02/20/07 12:06 AM
You must vote before you can view the results of this poll.

#159326 - 02/21/07 12:27 AM Re: update [Re: spiffnme]
spiffnme Offline
axiomite

Well, not that anyone responded, but I figured I'd give an update.

I just grabbed the Denon AVR-5800. It's the only receiver I could find that had (from all reports) a superb power supply, ample wattage, terrific sound in both 2 channel and 5.1 surround, and last but certainly not least, two sets of 5.1 analog inputs. Having never been looking for something like that before, I didn't realize how rare that feature is!

I'm going to be sad to see my silver Rotel beauties go. :~( But my saddness will be countered with the joy of playing with new toys. A kick-butt HTPC and huge honkin' AVR should wipe the tears away.

#159327 - 02/21/07 12:47 AM Re: update [Re: spiffnme]
duckman Offline
devotee

Loc: kansas
Well crap, now I feel bad for missing this. I would have at least checked "other" and made a smart-ss comment. My Adcom gtp-880 has 2 sets of mc inputs, but it's discontinued. Keep us posted on the htpc, thats something I've been kicking around.

#159328 - 02/21/07 01:35 AM Re: update [Re: spiffnme]
tomtuttle Offline
axiomite

Loc: Tacoma
Wow, Craig. Congrats. That thing looks like a monster.

#159329 - 02/21/07 02:10 AM Re: update [Re: duckman]
spiffnme Offline
axiomite

The Adcom wouldn't help, as it's only a processor. The reason I'm going from separates to an all-in-one receiver is that with the addition of the htpc, I don't have the space for separates anymore.

#159330 - 02/21/07 08:46 AM Re: update [Re: spiffnme]
DanielBMe Offline
devotee

Loc: Toronto - ON
I have an HTPC (Meedio as the frontend), I use the onboard SPDIFF going to my Yamaha Receiver. I also have an UnRaid Server with about a terabyte of drive space sitting in my bedroom that has approx 350 DVD's on the drives plus my music. It works great! I love the setup. Only one negative thing to say about it and that's the cables and wires. It's pretty insane with the number of cables I have. Not only for the HTPC, but the HD Cable Box, Router, Modem (Cable provider), speakers...I had them all hidden behind my rear projection tv but now that I bought an LCD it's a lot tougher to hide.

My Botswana Safari photos
http://smu.gs/R41Byt

#159331 - 02/21/07 10:04 AM Re: update [Re: DanielBMe]
spiffnme Offline
axiomite

At some point I'll likely set up a RAID array with a bunch of external storage as well.

Is a wireless connection fast enough to read the data for movie playback? Or would I need a hardwire connection to the HTPC? It would be pretty cool to have my entire DVD collection online.

#159332 - 02/21/07 12:11 PM Re: update [Re: spiffnme]
DanielBMe Offline
devotee

Loc: Toronto - ON
I suspect wireless would be too slow. Mine is wired gigabyte ethernet. You should look into Unraid, which is a little different than your typical Raid. YOu can mix and match different disk sizes and types unlike Raid 5.
Limetech

My Botswana Safari photos
http://smu.gs/R41Byt

#159333 - 02/21/07 01:06 PM Re: update [Re: spiffnme]
jakewash Offline
shareholder in the making

Loc: Calgary, Alberta
Quote:

At some point I'll likely set up a RAID array with a bunch of external storage as well.

Is a wireless connection fast enough to read the data for movie playback? Or would I need a hardwire connection to the HTPC? It would be pretty cool to have my entire DVD collection online.

Wireless G is fast enough if you can get the signal to stay high as the video would get buffered anyway, Wireless N is more than fast enough, I use a wireless N router to feed all of my G PC cards and it streams very nicely as the N router uses MIMO technology for better signal. But to ensure steady playback for a HTPC regardless of connectivity I would go wired if possible - always connected, no lost signals.

My HT

#159334 - 02/21/07 01:33 PM Re: update [Re: jakewash]
spiffnme Offline
axiomite

Any suggestions on how to put together an external RAID? I'm afraid it would be too noisy if I left it in the living room. There's a storage closet right behind the wall in back of my tv. I've already got some wiring going through there, so I could put the raid drives in the closet, and hard wire them through the wall.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Home  |  Corporate Info  |  Products  |  Message Board  |  FAQs  |  Warranty  |  Site Map  |  Privacy Statement   |  Contact Us

©2014 Colquhoun Audio Laboratories Limited
All Rights Reserved.