jakewash #159714 02/25/07 01:19 AM
Z
zuter Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Z
Quote:

I have not wished I had the 150 but there are many here that have the 150 with M22s and they say it matches perfectly as well, If the size of the speaker is not a factor(WAF) then I do believe the 150 might be the better way to go for you, as you seem to be trying hard to avoid upgrades and those that have heard the 100 and 150 do say the bigger one is a little more dynamic, as expected with the bigger driver array and enclosure. As I said you really can't lose.

Great to hear. It seems that either way I go, the center it'll match But you're right I want to avoid upgrades, which owning my current set for 15 years can attest! When I was listening to the Klipsch RC62/52 the larger 62 was the winner. I guess the 150 vs the 100 would yield similar results. And yes, this is the way I'd go for sure.

Dipole surrounds won't compare to the quad firing QS series and I hope there is someone near you that can give you an audition, Axioms really are as good as the reviews.

Sorry, my bad...I was confused about the term. Neither the Axiom's nor the Klipsch surrounds are "dipoles" but rather "quad firing" as you correctly called them.

Too...many...terms...head...will...explode! :0

I'll look at these when my budget will allow...that or when the "wife" finally hits it big at bingo Sent her there tonight...keeping my fingers crossed!

Re: Auditioned Klipsch what are comparable Axiom's
SirQuack #159715 02/25/07 01:34 AM
Z
zuter Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Z
Quote:

My wifey factor let me just upgrade to m80's and an ep600 sub.

BAS#$*%, I mean LUCKY DOG Wanna trade!? Wives that is!

Funny you should mention the EP sub. I'll be looking for an upgrade...down the road...but was eyeing SVS or HSU. These seem to get the top rating/editors choice in most reviews. The talk in the other forums regard them as the "best-in-class" and/ or "best bang for the buck" generally.

My current behemoth has plenty of power but in as old as the rest of the system. Not a musical sub but works very well in HT. Once I get my speakers sorted out that'll be next on the list!

zuter #159716 02/25/07 05:36 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
We all perceive speaker sounds differently, so take my advice lightly. It's such a subjective thing....

Klipsch speakers sound quite different from Axiom, IMHO. I do not like their sound. I have listened to the RF-83 and RF-63 at a local home theater shop on comparable equipment to my own. Their sound was much brighter and harsher on the highs and had much more aggressive bass. Cymbol crashes, piccolo runs, etc had a piercing quality to them. At high volumes it was almost painful. On the other end, massive bass. No way would you need a subwoofer with those babies. If you want mains that can move furniture around the room on their own, they'd be a good choice. Way more bass than even my M80's, no contest.

And tht simply sums up how I would describe their sound; a valley. Massive bass with very bright, forward, and piercing highs, but less impressive midrange. There just didn't feel like there was a lot of 'substance' to the music. Lack of spaciousness, might be another description.

Axiom speakers are, above all else, balanced. Balanced highs, mids, and lows. Accurate (but not pounding) bass, rich (but not too warm) mid-ranges, and crystal-clear (but not piercing) highs. Crank em up, and they just disapear into your room and you're simply left with the music.

Try to find a Paradigm dealer. The Reference Studio 100's sound similar to M80's. Reference Studio 20's sound similar to m22's, although RS20's have more low-end. If you have a B&W dealer nearby, the 703's sound somewhat similar to M80's.

M80v2 | VP150v2 | QS8v2
SVS Pci+ 20-39
Emotiva UMC-1 & LPA-1
M22ti + T-Amp, in the Office
zuter #159717 02/25/07 06:22 AM
local
local
Zuter
If you really want to know how Axioms sound compared to the Klipsch, I suggest you have a look here and see if there is anyone near you that you can pm and set up an audition with. It'll take the guessing out of the equation.

Good luck - Paul

PeterChenoweth #159718 02/26/07 12:47 AM
Z
zuter Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Z
Thanks Peter

Nice description! You've explained the Klipsch sound as I perceived them, "a valley"! This is what I felt about the RB61's, which is why I knew I wouldn't purchase them. The RC62 center and RS42sats were different in that the mids were more accentuated, with the same bright highs...definitely better but...!

For me, your take on the Klipsch further strengthens your perceptions of the Axiom's sound. This is what I'm looking for in a speaker/sound. Though I'm mostly looking for an HT setup, a great sound will probably have me revisiting my music collection.

I'll look for the Paradigm RS20 speakers you've mentioned, since they are similar to the M22's. Bass extension aside, I'd be adding a balanced, "musical" sub to extend the range for HT viewing anyway! As I live in Calgary perhaps someone out there can direct me to a Paradigm dealer!?

Thanks again. You've made me a believer without even hearing the Axiom's yet!

PaulM #159719 02/26/07 01:36 AM
Z
zuter Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Z
I know the only way is to audition them directly. Only then can I make up my mind. But I enjoy the "hunt" as much as the "kill". I'm in no hurry. I want to test and listen to as many speakers and setups as I can. Since sound is so subjective, only then, can I know what will truly work for me!

For instance I went and heard the Totem's Mini's and Rainier's...Rainforest's...Reindeer's, or some such animal! Very nice sounding speakers. Big sound from tiny speakers and large price! I used my own music to listen, with emphasis on instrumentals, vocals and range. Stevie Ray Vaughn, Al Di Meola, Bowie (Ziggy), Floyd and Aaron Neville. Both speakers sounded strong, clear and with good range, the Rain...whatevers...being more impressive. I listened to them in a very large room and they seemed to fill it nicely. However, this may have to do more with the amp section, being high end separates...sorry don't recall the brand "My... somethings". At volume the speaker's disappeared leaving a nice sound stage with strong imaging and impressive mids and highs. I had the salesman run the center only and found there to be a dropout in the mid bass with lower bass holding true...design flaw I guess!?

The only real hiccup was that the right channel kept cutting out! I'm pretty sure it was the speaker cables, fiddling with them brought it back. Impressive overall but the price puts them out of the running!

zuter #159720 02/26/07 06:24 AM
J
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
J
Quote:

As I live in Calgary perhaps someone out there can direct me to a Paradigm dealer!?

Thanks again. You've made me a believer without even hearing the Axiom's yet!

In case you haven't noticed I live in Calgary and would be more than happy to let you have a listen, M22's VP100, QS8's. Just PM me and we could try to set up a time.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
jakewash #159721 02/26/07 05:12 PM
Z
zuter Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Z

In case you haven't noticed I live in Calgary and would be more than happy to let you have a listen, M22's VP100, QS8's. Just PM me and we could try to set up a time.

Actually yes, I did notice and thank-you for your kind offer...that is very generous! I'm confident that you enjoy auditioning to help others and hope your dedication is appreciated...do you hear that Axiom!?

I'll PM you with my details and again Thank-you!

zuter #159722 02/26/07 05:24 PM
HAY Offline
aficionado
aficionado
[quote I'm confident that you enjoy auditioning to help others and hope your dedication is appreciated...do you hear that Axiom!?

Axiom does, as they offer a 5% commission to anyone who holds an audition that leads to a sale.

High Gloss Cherry
M60 VP150 QS8
Open for Auditions but please don't drool on the High Gloss
HAY #159723 02/26/07 05:29 PM
Z
zuter Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Z
That's very good to hear. Hopefully this will work out for both Jake and myself