Rate Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Update
zuter #159734 03/05/07 06:53 PM
J
shareholder in the making
J
All I can say is that if you were at all impressed by the speakers with my terrible lay out, just imagine how much better they will sound in a proper setup.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
jakewash #159735 03/06/07 02:32 AM
Z
zuter Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Z
Now I feel bad In no way would I describe your layout as "terrible"! In your den I don't know how else you could place your speakers. Ideally we'd all have great Home Theatre's that happen to come with a house Despite that, your sound was "terrific"! And one day soon, I'll have that too

zuter #159736 03/06/07 05:01 AM
J
J
Don't fell bad, I am hoping to someday turn that area into a dedicated HT and then I could get some real soundstage happening, but with my fronts just 5' apart and much higher than my listening area, not to mention my center 7.5' up and angled substantially down, it really is a bad setup, but the best I can do right now. Although it does sound really good, I know it would sound even better in a proper HT setting. Maybe even more dynamic, like you are looking for. Maybe when Hutzal finally gets his carpet in and the HT set up, we could invite ourselves over to have a listen.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
Re: Auditioned Klipsch what are comparable Axiom's
PeterChenoweth #159737 03/12/07 03:33 AM
Z
zuter Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Z
After looking over your recommendations, I've found the following and listened to several both on and off your list.

Listened to the Energy Reference Connoisseur towers and bookshelf's. Very nice indeed but too pricey... bookshelf's @ $700 a pair where I auditioned them! The bookshelf was very detailed but laid back compared to the Totem Rainmakers ($1079/pair) or the Axioms M22's. I also listened to the towers ($1800). Very sweet sounding speakers but could fill out an entire Axiom system, including sub, for the price of the towers alone! I also had a go with the Energy C series. I won't go into them, suffice it to say they weren't the Reference Connoisseur's!

Checked with Onix Rocket which will allow demoing of their bookshelf's only, in Canada! Which is fine except I want to hear their center. Can't really make a decision without a listen first!

I currently have PSB's Image C40 center ($415) and B-15 bookshelf ($450/pair) on loan for home demo. Unfortunately they were out of the B-25's as this was the speaker I wanted to demo! The imaging and clarity are easily on par with the Axiom speakers I demoed at jakewash's house.

I didn't change anything in my amp for this initial test. I replaced my center and mains for the demo. The first thing I tried was the movie Jurassic Park. The opening scene where the first base note hits exposed the B-15's inability to handle strong bass. "Chuffing" or port noise was excessive...I thought I blew them up! It was clear this speaker couldn't be used for mains. I reset my mains and moved the 15's to the rears and tried again, with much better results! The opening bass was clear and strong. The C40 center highs are more pronounced compared my center. Clear, crisp and smooth. Dialog was much better focused on the display and exhibited a nice blending with my mains. They are almost spot on to my mains in the bass to mid range but exhibit brighter highs! This seemed to add, rather than distract, to the overall sound. At times I noted sibilance in the dialog. Could be the amp settings since I didn't change anything!? I could probably tame this through the amp's center channel's equalization.

I played "Sin City" with fabulous results. Very clean and clear sounding with a nice balance and blending overall. Next was "Nightmare Before Christmas". I've always found the dialog and center effects to be "soft" and "wispy". With the C40 there was a marked improvement running at similar volumes to my old center. I won't say it was louder just cleaner/clearer sounding. We watched two "new" movies, so I can only comment that the sound and dialog was very good overall!

This morning I ran the amp's auto setup and test drove the speakers for my neighbour! I replayed the opening of Jurassic Park. He commented on the dialog's clarity even with all they commotion in the "Raptor's/cage" intro! We popped in some Stevie Ray Vaughn to compare the B-15's with my speakers. The 15's sounded very good! Then we tried mine, same track, same volume...mine were fuller and more dynamic, just less "bright". Understandably so, as mine have soft dome tweeter's and the 15's are aluminum. Mine are also much larger bookself's with good bass and more laid back highs. The imaging for both are about equal. As for colouring or neutrality I can't comment. I've had my system 15 years and everything just sounds different to me!

They also have a PSB C60 center with larger drivers, 6.5" as opposed to the C40's 5.25". I'll swap out the C40 for the C60. This should enhance the center's low to mid end and it should be a closer match to my mains 7.25" driver. I'll let you know what I've found after the swap!

zuter #159738 03/12/07 04:04 AM
J
J
It be interesting to do an A/B with mine, but I am unfortunately out of town next week and I don't think my wife would be up to another session!

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
jakewash #159739 03/12/07 02:53 PM
Z
zuter Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Z
Yeah, I wouldn't put her through that again! An A/B with the PSB's would have been nice but I only have them until Saturday. The place where I got these said they were getting in the "G-series" soon. But at almost twice the price I would definately go with "Axiom" instead.

As mentioned in my earlier post I hope to swap the centers for the remainder of the demo week. After that I may order the VP150 for testing. One thing I've learned is this home demoing is really the only way to know for sure! Big thanks to those who've suggested this...when you're right, you're right

zuter #159740 03/15/07 01:52 AM
Z
zuter Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Z
Update:

I've done further testing with the C40 and B-15's. But I won't bore you with the details because I just got the PSB C60 center. So without further ado...

This is a large centre. Compared to the VP150 it is 1/2" narrower in width, 1" taller and 3" deeper - if you don't count the curved front speaker panel and grill, then 12" deep! It's dual bass ported with a single 1" tweeter and 2 x 6-1/2" drivers. This proved to be a much better match to my bookshelf's 7-1/4" than the C40's 5-1/2" drivers.

I put on several Dvds that I've been testing with and the sound displayed a noticeable improvement. This blends as near perfect with my speakers as I could hope! Like the C40, the highs are still crisper than my speakers but less so with the C60. Blending of the mid/bottom end was beautiful. The front sound field seemed to envelope my display. Dialog and effects were very clear and clean! No occasional boxiness or compression compared to the C40 and particularly my old center. When played really loud, louder than I would ever listen, dialog started to sound a little artificial. A little tweaking proved to be all that was needed. The center's dynamics easily matched my speakers and perhaps a little better! I'll have to get my work's SPL meter for a proper setup. I'm not through testing but so far this center seems a winner!

I realize I'll have to upgrade my fronts and surrounds but one step at a time! I'm still hooked on adding the QS8's. The demo at jakewash's proved their worth! My only concern are it's 5-1/2" drivers. If, like the C40 issue, I experience a more pronounced mid-high to high this might prove distracting. Again tweaking might help to correct but...I wish Axiom made a larger version.

Perhaps if I can convince the wife, towers might be a possibility!? I could easily pick up PSB towers but some Axiom M60's or even 80's would make a very nice addition! I know the inherent problems in mating different speakers but if properly matched, like the center, it is possible!

zuter #159741 03/15/07 05:50 PM
J
J
I can't remember but did anyone ask you if you had room to buy one more of your fronts and just use a vertical center(ala Hutzal's 2 M3's)? Then the matching wouldn't be an issue.

Anyway, I am glad you seem to have found what you are looking for.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
jakewash #159742 03/16/07 03:09 PM
Z
zuter Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Z
No, one asked but no I can't get my speaker(s) anymore anyway. I read Hutzal's post about using 2 M3's but was concerned about wiring and ohm rating. Pioneer, my amp manf., never did get back to me about this issue...actually they've never gotten back to about anything, ever!

So far, so good. The PSB C60 center seems a very, very good match to my system. Will be going down to Sounds of Music this weekend to check out Paradigm and B&W's offering's.

PaulM #159743 03/25/07 06:51 PM
K
old hand
old hand
K
Quote:

Zuter
If you really want to know how Axioms sound compared to the Klipsch, I suggest you have a look here and see if there is anyone near you that you can pm and set up an audition with. It'll take the guessing out of the equation.

Good luck - Paul

Hi all, agter owning the 83's for the lasy 5 months I have just sold them. The above desription is bang on! Highs were horrible,weak mids and Tons of bass.

Hope my 80's are better.

Emotiva DMC1, MPS-1 ,M80v2 ,Klipsch RC64,Mirage Omni260 surrounds,Paradigm PW2200 sub
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters