Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
OT: Drummers out there, advice needed.
#159805 02/24/07 04:05 PM
shareholder in the making
OP Offline
Ok, first a little background. My 8 yr old is interested in learning the drums. For myself, I grew up playing the piano and trumpet, and am a pretty good singer.

Was thinking about getting a drum set, so both of us could learn. With my background, I have always wanted to play drums, and I think I would catch on pretty quickly.

I have found some very highly regarded instructional DVD's on Amazon that I'm thinking about getting.

My main question is recommendations on the purchase of a drum set. I don't want to pay an arm and leg, but I also don't want junk. Are there any good quality drum set brands out there you would recommend at a decent price?

I've heard names like Tama, Pearl, Yamaha, etc... and they all seem to have some beginner/medium sets available. Also, would it make sense to buy online, or go to a local music store? Thanks, Randy

Any help would be appreciated....

M80s VP180 4xM22ow 4xM3ic EP600 2xEP350
AnthemAVM60 Outlaw7700 EmoA500 Epson5040UB FluanceRT85

Re: OT: Drummers out there, advice needed.
SirQuack #159806 02/24/07 05:50 PM
aficionado
aficionado
The guys I have jammed with over the years, (with my guitar)....the drummers, used Ludwig kits.
They sounded good to me, with good looks, and quality......AND, if I remember right, most of their kits were reasonably priced.

LIFE: "Choices, balance, and timing"

(Larryism)
SirQuack #159807 02/24/07 10:08 PM
veteran
veteran
Hi Sirquack,

I've played drums for a number of years. I have a Pearl Export Series Kit and have been very happy with it. Their entry level kit is the "Forum" series which would likely do the trick for you as well.

Any of the brands you listed are fine really. For some reason though I never liked the Ludwig kits, at least not their entry level ones - the hardware seemed kind of flimsy.

As well, I always associate a Tama kit with a random banger. For whatever reason, bangers and Tamas are a match made in heaven.

Buying used isn't a bad idea either as long as the skins are in decent shape (they can be pricy to replace).

Also, I wouldn't suggest piecing a kit together because that gets pricy as well. Buy a pre-packaged kit with a ride, crash, hi-hats etc.

Good luck,

Jordan

Jordan #159808 02/24/07 10:11 PM
veteran
veteran
Oh, and be pre-warned that once you learn to play drums that you will be disappointed with nearly all popular music. A lot of the drumming is so repetative and only there because it has to be and should never ever take away any of the spotlite from lead singer.

After learning my first drum beat I quickly realised that I could then play every AC/DC song ever written.

J

Jordan #159809 02/24/07 10:28 PM
OP Offline
Thanks guys for the info. I just spent some time on samash.com and looks like there are lots of package options from many brands I was not aware of that seem to get good reviews.

My goal is to be like Neal Peart.

SirQuack #159810 02/24/07 11:30 PM
OP Offline
WoW! Just came across this website Online Drummer

Free, you can't beat (no pun intended) that. I may not have to buy DVD's afterall.

SirQuack #159811 02/25/07 01:20 AM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
What will Randy come up with next?

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
SirQuack #159812 02/25/07 02:15 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Hey man, I just picked up a new drum set for Christmas after wanting one for about 11 years (when I sold my last drum set).

I went round and round for a long time and was torn between 2 things first, accoustic or electric. Back in the day, I had a Tama Techstar electronic drum set, and boy did I regret getting it. It was so 1980's sounding. I said that I would never get one again. So I was really close to getting a Pearl Export series (don't recall the model). So I went out to Guitar Center (it is out next to Hu Hot and near Best Buy on University between Valley West Drive and 50th in West Des Moines). Anyway, they do some great price matching on all of their stuff. Heck, I brought in an emailed price quote, and they matched it no questions.

Anyway, really long story short, I ended up with a Roland TD6-SXT. I picked it up for $1500 ($500 off after price matching) and I got a rebate for an extra cymbal and nice headphones too.

Of course, you need an AMP (don't run them through your Axioms) too, so it can get pretty pricey.

I would have dropped about the same amount for an accoustic set (minus the cost of the amp), but after giving the Roland sets a test run (and REALLY wanting their $5000 model), I still opted for an electric set. I can turn it up, turn it down, listed through headphones, easily do recording, change the sounds from sampled accoustic sets, to some old school electric sounds, to sound effects, and so on. The biggest thing that I wanted was mesh pads for the electric set. Big difference and benefit over the rubber pads.

Anyway, head out to Guitar Center and give some drums a test run. Just ask them for some drum sticks (they have some that are all beat up) and go to it. They WANT you to try them. It you try an accoustic set, try both nylon tipped and all wood drum sticks. Different sounds depending on the sticks (particularly with the cymbals) and you may find that an "OK" set sounds more lively or possibly better with one stick over another.

Also, there are several online (free) training sites with videos that you can stream and play along with to learn. When (if) you get something, let me know, and I will send you the links.

If you have other questions, let me know.

Oh, one last comment about Ludwig. These are good sets too, but many people consider them "old school" sets. That may seem bad, but you may also find a good deal on one.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
SirQuack #159813 02/25/07 02:39 AM
aficionado
aficionado
Randy,

As you know, I've been drumming almost all my life, minus 3 years. I've got connections with Pearl, so if I can be of any help, let me know.

Sutter Cane #159814 02/25/07 02:44 AM
aficionado
aficionado
If you decide on a different manufacture other then Pearl, then I recommend these guys. Their prices are almost impossible to beat (no pun intended).

SirQuack #159815 02/25/07 05:48 AM
S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
hey there,

kid wants to play the drums eh? awesome! quick background: i've been playing for just over 20 years now. have done everything from teaching, to session work, to a small tour across Canada. if the kid has rhythm, let him play! if he doesn't, you can't teach it. he'll just get frustrated, and you'll want to throw the drums out the door.

#1 - get kid a practice pad and some sticks.
#2 - get kid some lessons.

the teacher will be able to judge the kids aptitude for playing and should, within a lesson or two, be able to give you a thumbs up, or down.

if everything looks like it's a-ok, I'd highly recommend getting a used kit from a local drum shop or music store. most music stores will sell their rental kits at extremely discounted prices. make sure they either throw in new heads or give you a discount on a set.

if your kid is a natural, and shows signs of becoming the next Neil Peart or Mike Portnoy you can't go wrong by investing some money on something the kid can play on and grow into over the years.

my 1st kit was a junker; Pearl Export, made in Taiwan stuff, but still have it. it gets carted to gigs once in a while. but I got my 2nd kit about 15 years ago and it has been my workhorse ever since. it's a Yamaha Maple Custom. it has a beautiful sound. the Export kit, and low-end kits like it, can be difficult to tune and find the sweet spot of each tom. The Yamaha (and other higher end kits from just about any reputable manufacturer -- DW, Sonor, Tama, Pearl, Ludwig, etc...) have a nice tone and resonance that simply sings. That flat, dead sound will have your kid, along with you and your neighbors, wanting to mute them in no time. of course this is completely subjective and your mileage will vary.

cymbals? the two biggies, Sabian and Zildjian, make a massive line-up of cymbals. most kits will include 'em. Keep in mind that the more you pay does not necessarily get you a better sounding cymbal. cymabls are very subjective. I have a 17" crash from Zildjian that set me back well over $300 but my 22" Sabian ride was $80 and I absolultey love the sound. it all comes down to taste.

get proper ear protection. a 15-20db flat-response cut is ideal for drums. several manufacturers make ear protection but I absolutely love the ER.15 from Etymotic Research. they run a little pricy, but are custom fitted to your ears. otherwise a good set of ear goggles from Home Depot will do the trick. I can't stress this enough. I've lost ~20% of the high-end in my right ear because of bad protection practices and even worse monitoring in my old practice studio. i don't even to to clubs without them in my ears now...

anyway, I hope this helps. if you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask.

-s

spish #159816 02/26/07 01:20 AM
aficionado
aficionado
Spish,
Great advice! You beat me to it (pardon the pun). I was going to suggest renting a kit first. That way, father and son can take turns playing and if either one shows the aptitude required, then purchase a set. I played drums when I was younger and fortunately had the aptitude and feel to play. My 32 month old son is crazy about drums (Neil Peart's drum solos) and actually remembers some of the drum parts. If he is still interested in a year or two I'll probably get him a scaled down set of drums. Learning to play any musical instrument is a great skill that shouldn't be overlooked. Young musicians are the future of music.

spish #159817 02/26/07 04:05 AM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Nice post, Spish. Thanks for sharing your expertise.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
tomtuttle #159818 02/26/07 04:11 AM
veteran
veteran
I'm not sure it is so important whether the kid is a "natural" or not. If he/she has fun playing the drums then that is all that really matters.

J

spish #159819 02/26/07 02:31 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I agree with Spish, as I too am a profesional drummer and teacher (not at the moment tho).

One more point, buy a cheap kit because kids often lose interest in things like musical instruments quickly if they can't conquer them.

I had a drum student once that had previously been on piano, trumpet, guitar, and bass, he was al gung-ho about drumming, and he quit my lessons after a month because I told him if he doesn't practice at home, not to come back.

And he didn't come back

Producer | Composer
www.robbhutzal.com
Jordan #159820 02/28/07 02:28 AM
S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
Quote:

I'm not sure it is so important whether the kid is a "natural" or not. If he/she has fun playing the drums then that is all that really matters.

J

I see what you mean, but only partially agree. The problem there is that both parent and child will become frustrated if child can't carry a beat. The child will cease to have fun if he/she is unable to actually play. imagine if you really wanted to become a cyclist, but all you could do is walk your bike around the neighborhood... the novelty would wear off quickly and you'd move on to something you could actually 'do'.

opening up Pandora's box here: drumming is unlike most other instruments in that you can be taught to play just about any other instrument, and play it well. you can't be taught how to play drums well. you either have "it" or you don't. if you have "it" you always will and drumming will be fun and enjoyable for the rest of your life. it's kinda like riding a bike, but way, way cooler!

I do see what you are saying though. if the kid wants to bang about and that makes him happy, who am I to advise you that he/she shouldn't play. but if the kid really wants to learn it is best that you find out if the kid can hit. you've seen American Idol? better you telling him to find another instrument than Simon Cowell.

Cheers!

-s

spish #159821 02/28/07 03:12 AM
Quote:

drumming is unlike most other instruments in that you can be taught to play just about any other instrument, and play it well.

I don't know about that. If you lack a sense of rhythm, then it would be pretty damn hard to play any instrument. That deficiency just stands out more on the drums.

pmbuko #159822 02/28/07 04:04 AM
aficionado
aficionado
Especially, the.......cow bell.

LIFE: "Choices, balance, and timing"

(Larryism)
LT61 #159823 02/28/07 09:26 PM
S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
Quote:

Especially, the.......cow bell.

I have a fever...

FOR MORE COWBELL!

-s

pmbuko #159824 02/28/07 09:28 PM
S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
Quote:

Quote:

drumming is unlike most other instruments in that you can be taught to play just about any other instrument, and play it well.

I don't know about that. If you lack a sense of rhythm, then it would be pretty damn hard to play any instrument. That deficiency just stands out more on the drums.

a sense of rhythm is different than being able to count and do simple math. that's all i'm sayin'

-d

spish #159825 02/28/07 10:14 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Spish,

I tend to disagree with your statement...

I had friends in Music School that weren't exactly "naturals" but they busted their asses with a metronome to get into the school and then practiced 6 hrs a day (everything with a metronome, that goes for all drummers) and he came out playing Jazz, Latin, the works. You could tell he wasn't a "natural" but he made it happen.

Its amazing what a little determination will do.

Producer | Composer
www.robbhutzal.com
Hutzal #159826 03/04/07 07:49 AM
devotee
devotee
I'd like to throw a nod towards used drums. When I got my current kit about five years ago I had to option of either a brand new entry level Yamaha kit, or a used, but higher level of quality trax kit.

We went with the trax kit because it had sturdier hardware, good solid cymbals (a thick crash vs. a thin splash). It's not a jaw dropping kit by any means, but when it comes to learning and feeding that urge to beat the crap out of it, it's awesome. I've reskinned it a few times, added a double bass pedal, cow bell, second cymbal, etc...

Now I'm wanting a 7 or 8 piece kit with 4-6 cymbals, but that's because I'm spent 5 years with my trusty little kit. I think if I had a brand new kit when I was learning, I'd be afraid to play it or touch it because it might get a ding, or a scratch, or something.

Just my 0.02!

- D

"Big John is my Idol...or is it that other way around? Let's ask Ray!"
Daphoid #159827 03/04/07 07:59 AM
Quote:

I've...added a...cow bell
- D

Excellent! Now you can make sure that people know that you are about to rock.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
spish #159828 03/05/07 06:06 PM
devotee
devotee
I will say this buy a second hand kit. At least you can recoup your money and not every one wants a drum kit. I will only buy Pearl and they also sell a set well last years model called the Target. It is one up on the Forum kit and one level down from the Export ( which is now a Master ) They are the best entry level kit I have seen for the $$$$. Also as for the cymbal I bought new a promotional pak of Sabian B8's for $200 incl 14" hats' 16" crash 20" ride and a free 18" crash and cymabl bag.
I have bought a Export set a few years ago for $1300 and re sold it $650 was the best I got for it 6 months later.
I recently bought a second hand set of Masters Studio's which was top of the line next to the Masterworks and now under the Reference kit. I paid $1400 for them and they were $3000 new three years ago. Not a scratch on them and the quality and sound is unbealivable.
How old is your daughter because my daughter is 7 and she has a hard time playing mine because of the height. They do have junior kits ( scaled down versions of the bigger one ) for $300 - $600 new.

Pioneer sc-1525
M80 HG Cherry
spish #179805 10/20/07 05:22 PM
OP Offline
Ok, this would not be as nice as Nick's set, just curious if all you drummers think this would be a good deal. The guy is asking 700/offer. I was looking at a regular acoustic set, but am concerned about the loudness, this would allow us to give it a shot and practice in the evenings without disturbing others.

Would this be a good option to learn on and see if myself and my son have a future in a rock band. \:\)

http://desmoines.craigslist.org/msg/449360817.html

SirQuack #179901 10/21/07 05:32 AM
axiomite
axiomite
That looks like a good "starter" TD-6 set. It has the older TD-6 sound module (the new ones like I have are black and not blue)... I don't know the difference, but you could always check out the VDrums Forums

It also has the older style bass drum, but you should be fine there too. Roland has been the leader in electronic drums for years, so they make good stuff. Depending on the model of the pads, you should be able to get "rim sounds" on the toms as well as the snare. I can't do that with the TD-6 and my upgraded mesh pads since the mesh pads are a little more "high tech" than the TD-6 can handle.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
nickbuol #179969 10/22/07 01:04 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Oh, one other thought, don't forget you will need an amp for using the the drums. Either that, or you could start out with headphones, but you will need/want some "big" (non-ear bud style) headphones. I've got a $120 set for mine as well as a $450 amp... Check some pawn shops for an amp. It would be great to get one with a big woofer in it somewhere. That will really help with the bass.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
nickbuol #179970 10/22/07 01:11 AM
OP Offline
Thanks Nick,

The jury is still out on which way we will go on this, we may just get a Pearl Export or Forum kit to start. My brother in-law is a professional drummer and has played in many of Des Moines's popular bands over the years. He is big on acoustic sets, however, I understand how loud they will be in our basement. \:\)

I'm still talking to my kid to see if he thinks he would like to give it a try...

SirQuack #180019 10/22/07 12:43 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Acoustic drums ARE cheaper, or I should say "less expensive." I have been playing for over 25 years, and I've played acoustic, electric, and now V-Drums (just a different way to say "newer style electric").

My V-Drums I have now are my favorite so far. When I got my 1988 vintage Tama Techstar electric drums, I loved them at first, but this was prior to electrics haveing actual drum samples. It grew old quickly. I said that I would NEVER have an electric set again. I was wrong.

Acoustics are what you will see most bands playing (although that is changing), but this isn't for a band. There is a certain "warmness" to an acoustic set, but you will also notice the the quality of components (drum heads, cymbal brands/models, construction materials) will make a difference in sounding like a "kids" set and something a little nicer.

That is where I really like the V-Drums. You can play "hard" but with headphones, not be waking the neighbors. Are they silent? Absolutely not. You are, after all, taking a wood stick and hitting a hardened (in your case) rubber pad. There IS noise, but a LOT less than trying to do the same on an acoustic set. I also like the ability to have a whole slews of kits and instruments. Although, I find that I play a custom kit that I've set up and saved more than the others. But I have that option.

Either way, you want to make sure that it is fun. If you loose out on the fun aspect of drumming, you will end up with an expensive toy sitting in the corner, taking up space. I can "jack in" an MP3 player right into the sound module, and then it "mixes" with my drumming so that I can play along to some tunes and nobody hears that either....

Good Luck!

Farewell - June 4, 2020
SirQuack #180026 10/22/07 01:27 PM
You could always build your own drumitar...

pmbuko #180099 10/22/07 11:54 PM
axiomite
axiomite
 Originally Posted By: pmbuko
You could always build your own drumitar...

Pirate hat optional.

"Nothin' up my sleeve. . ." --Bullwinkle J. Moose
St_PatGuy #180117 10/23/07 02:01 AM
Dude! Pirate hats are ALWAYS mandatory! \:\)

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
MarkSJohnson #180123 10/23/07 02:09 AM
axiomite
axiomite
 Originally Posted By: MarkSJohnson
Dude! Pirate hats are ALWAYS mandatory! \:\)

LOL! \:D

"Nothin' up my sleeve. . ." --Bullwinkle J. Moose
MarkSJohnson #180124 10/23/07 02:09 AM
My hat it has three corners.
Three corners has my hat.
If it has not three corners,
Then it is not my hat.

SirQuack #180235 10/23/07 09:25 PM
aficionado
aficionado
If you are worried about the loudness of an acustic set , you can always put silensers on the drum heads and even cymbals. I'll even say that they are required if the drum is played in small spaces; a big basement is way too small for a drum kit. There're plenty of manufacturers that sell silensers. I used to put old shirts on my drums, the stick bounce is pretty bad but it'll do.

I would steer away from an electric drum set as a starter drum kit. They have completely different 'feel', in fact they are different instruments, kinda like an electric bass and a upright bass, two very different animals. If you get the electric kit it's likely she/he would eventually gravitate towards keyboards than to continue playing drums.
Either way, it's good that there're kids that are still interested in playing music and parents that support them \:\)

The sailor does not pray for wind, he learns to sail. --Lindborg
JaimeG #180236 10/23/07 09:28 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
you guys better not be making fun of futureman...he is freakin awesome with the Fleck Tones...

Producer | Composer
www.robbhutzal.com
JaimeG #180268 10/24/07 12:37 AM
axiomite
axiomite
 Originally Posted By: JaimeG
If you are worried about the loudness of an acustic set , you can always put silensers on the drum heads and even cymbals. I'll even say that they are required if the drum is played in small spaces; a big basement is way too small for a drum kit. There're plenty of manufacturers that sell silensers. I used to put old shirts on my drums, the stick bounce is pretty bad but it'll do.

I would steer away from an electric drum set as a starter drum kit. They have completely different 'feel', in fact they are different instruments, kinda like an electric bass and a upright bass, two very different animals. If you get the electric kit it's likely she/he would eventually gravitate towards keyboards than to continue playing drums.
Either way, it's good that there're kids that are still interested in playing music and parents that support them \:\)

I disagree with your generalized statement about electric drums... You do, however, have a valid point about the rubber pads on the set that Sirquack it looking at vs. real drum heads. There IS a different feel, and "hard core" drummers steer away from them do to the feel and that they make your arms and wrists tired easier... Then again, he isn't looking for a drum set for a hard core drummer. There are positives and negatives each way, and you bring up a good one specifically with the rubber pads...

That is why I went mesh....

Farewell - June 4, 2020
nickbuol #180272 10/24/07 01:01 AM
OP Offline
I'm now looking at Gretsch sets.

SirQuack #180313 10/24/07 04:42 AM
axiomite
axiomite
I was looking at Gretsch when I was shopping for drums.

Most "beginner" sets can be made to sound a lot better by replacing the cheap drum heads, and getting a good set of cymbals... Most of the cheaper cymbals, even by well known companies like Zildjian, Sabian, and Paiste, sound bad. You can get as good of sound by drilling a hole in the middle of your wife's cookie sheets and bolting them on to the stands. Ok, a LITTLE extreme, but a fairly true statement. If you go acousic, look at a basic set with hi-hats, a ride and a crash. That is all you need most of the time anyway. The larger the cymbal, the "bigger" the sound. Think 80's rock... For me, I didn't like the sound of the big 20" rides. I liked the 18" better. Go to GuitarCenter, and give a few of them a spin...

Like it was mentioned before, you can tone down the sound levels, but depending on the method, you impact the feel of what you are doing. I've seen several people take perfectly good acoustic sets, and then use these rubber sound deadeners on them that go right where you would hit the drum head or cymbal... Completely gets rid of one of the positives of an acoustic set, and that is the feel of playing them.

Oh, I was looking at the Gretsch Catalina Fusion, the Pearl Forum, and a couple of others. At the time I was also trying to keep everything under $1000. When all was said and done, I was over $2000, but I don't regret it. Now $2000 for someone to just "try it" for a while??? That would be silly.

Don't forget.... Don't skimp on cymbals, and if you find a set you like in looks, and construction, but the sound is a little off (not a LOT off) from your liking, upgrading drum heads will make a big difference, and depending on cost, you may find that you can upgrade the heads on a lower cost kit and still be less than a more expensive one.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
nickbuol #180371 10/24/07 04:52 PM
OP Offline
Since we are just starting out, I most likely will stick with the heads that come with the kit. We are not looking at their entry level set, nor top end set, but middle of the road. I work with a few seasoned drummers and they said the stock heads will be fine for now, all heads have to be replaced at some point anyway. As far as cymbals, I will most likely be looking at a fairly entry level Sabian or whatever set, nothing expensive to learn on... \:\)

http://cgi.ebay.com/GRETSCH-CATALINA-6-P...1QQcmdZViewItem

SirQuack #180390 10/24/07 06:11 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Quack,

gretsch is played by the best drummer in the world..Vinnie, so you are in good hands...

Producer | Composer
www.robbhutzal.com
Hutzal #180401 10/24/07 06:47 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Oh now your costing him some money. He has like 10 Cymbals alone! I'd be interested in a dollar figure to replicate his setup.

http://www.vinniecolaiuta.com/images/md93setup.gif

Drumset: Yamaha Maple Custom

1. 4 x 14 Vinnie Colaiuta model snare drum
2. 10 x 10 tom
3. 10 x 12 tom
4. 12 x 14 tom
5. 14 x 16 tom
6. 18 x 22 bass drum

Hardware: Yamaha with a Yamaha rack system, DW hi-hat stand and DW Turbo double pedal.

Sticks: Zildjian Vinnie Colaiuta model (with wood tip)

Cymbals: Zildjian

1. 14" Platinum Quick Beat hi-hats
2. 20" Oriental China Trash
3. 17" A Custom crash
4. 6" A splash
5. 8" K splash
6. 10" A splash
7. 20" Platinum ping ride
8. 13" A Custom hi-hats
9. 15" A Custom crash
10. 18" A Custom crash

Heads: Remo coated Ambassadors on top of snare and all toms, clear Ambassadors on the bottoms of toms, Pinstripe on bass drum

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
Murph #180402 10/24/07 06:51 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Gretsch is Gretsch, Vinnie could play of their kits and make it sound superb.

Vinnie doesn't play a Yamaha Maple Custom...not sure where you got that from...

Last edited by Hutzal; 10/24/07 06:52 PM.

Producer | Composer
www.robbhutzal.com
Hutzal #180405 10/24/07 07:04 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Since you didn't mention a last name, meybe we are thinking about different Vinnies. I was reffering to Vinnie Colaiuta.

I'm not a drummer, although I keep threatening my wife with plans to become one. Somebody had sent me a bunch of links a while ago when I was digging into it more. The link is below.

http://www.drummerworld.com/drummers/Vinnie_Colaiuta.html

I've been wanting to take it up for years but Axiom took all my money. heh heh.

Murph #180407 10/24/07 07:17 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
seeing as this is the first picture on that link:

I am still confused as to how you think he plays a Yamaha kit? He is an amazing drummer, by far my favorite in the music biz.

Producer | Composer
www.robbhutzal.com
Hutzal #180408 10/24/07 07:30 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Oops wrong link. If you go to this one, you will find an interview with Vinnie where he talks about playing for Sting. At the bottom of the page is the picture and the inventory of drums he played on the sting tour.

http://www.vinniecolaiuta.com/articles/moderndrummer93.aspx

From the other web sight it is obvious he is a big Gretsch fan. However, if you are to believe this web sight, it appears as if he had a whole different set for the Sting tour.

Absolutely no difference to me, I just wouldn't want you to think that I was making this stuff up.

Murph #180413 10/24/07 07:40 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Also interesting is that if you check out where I copied the image location from the web sight, the link actually shows the picture is hosted from http://www.vinniecolaiuta.com/ which appears to be his official web sight.

Also interesting, is that he seems to be currently touring with Herbie Hancock. Is there anyone from the 80's who is not currently doing a comeback?

In any case, I apologize for sending this thread in an odd direction, although still drum related.

Murph #180414 10/24/07 07:47 PM
Mmm... NKOTB?

Ken.C #180427 10/24/07 09:18 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I actually went to the Herbie Hancock tour, it was AAAAWWWEEEESSOOOOMMMEEE.

Producer | Composer
www.robbhutzal.com
Hutzal #180428 10/24/07 09:26 PM
I saw Herbie Hancock a few years back seated about 5 rows from the stage. Of course, we were on the far right of it, but we got a great view of the vibraphone player, whose name I really, really should remember. It was a great show.

Ken.C #180454 10/25/07 12:53 AM
OP Offline
So if you guys check out the EBay link above, what do you think on that Gretsch Catalina set? Comes with OSP hardware but no cymbals for 699...

SirQuack #180473 10/25/07 02:14 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Seems pretty good to me. I haven't price checked much, but locally for the same price (not counting shipping from the eBay store) you don't get the cymbal stands, hi-hat stand, drum throne, and bass drum pedal like you get online. Granted, I am sure that it is a $20 drum throne, and a $20 bass drum pedal, but still, for starter it will work fine.

Maple sets are *generally* a desired feature for construction so that is a plus. Like I said before, I was looking pretty hard at a set like this. I think that you will really like it if you get it. Personally, I like the wine color better, but that is all up to your personal taste too. I like Paiste and Ziljian cymbals best, but those are easy enough to test run out Guitar Center, even if you are going to buy online.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
nickbuol #180506 10/25/07 02:56 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
quack, is your son just starting out? IF so, check out the bargain finder in your area, get him a cheap set, how old is he?

I started with a REALLY cheap $400 drum kit. And when I decided that I wanted to play profesionally, I got a a kit worth $5500 (including the cost of cymbals).

Really, if he is just starting out, don't get anything fancy.

Producer | Composer
www.robbhutzal.com
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082