Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
They're Here!!
#160775 03/06/07 09:57 PM
B
buff
OP Offline
buff
B
The M22s arrived yesterday. How long should I allow them to break in before doing some critical evaluations? My personal experience is that good speakers sound even better after a break-in period.

First impression is that it's a balanced speaker... very neutral. It's more efficient than my NHT 1.3s, which became apparent when I was doing A/B comparisons.

Here are a few brief listening notes from a few hours with the M22s, comparing them with my NHT 1.3s (which they will be replacing). Note that I listened with sub hooked up for both, using the same 80Hz. I'll do some comparisons without the sub later. I had difficulty getting the tweeters of both pairs lined up, as the NHTs are shorter and have the tweeter situated beneath the woofer vs. Axiom's tweeter being on top. I didn’t notice a ton of difference with the Axioms off-axis, though, which was nice.

A few brief comments (a more detailed review will follow after spending more time with the speakers):

1. The M22s play louder, and are cleaner when turned up [I didn't get too carried away since they are brand new. I did allow the speaker to reach room temperature before hooking up.] The NHTs can be a bit harsh when cranked, but the M22s remained neutral at the same volume levels.

2. The M22s had a different presentation than the NHTs. The NHTs sounded richer and fuller (6.5" woofer vs. (2) 5.25?), but this may be due to a bit of coloration in the mid-bass for the NHTs. The M22s seemed a bit thin at first in comparison.

3. My wife thought the M22s sounded better.

4. These are tall bookshelf speakers!

5. Soundstage seemed unfocused. It could throw instruments well beyond the speakers, but I found that voices (and the soundstage in general) seemed to jump around. Before everyone comments, this is most likely due to placement. I tried my best to get them set up just right for testing, but I lacked both space and stands of the appropriate height. This tells me that they are not going to be forgiving when it comes to placement. I had them situated out into the room a bit, away from the walls, angled in a bit towards my listening chair (7-8' away from the chair). The NHTs have an uncanny ability to solidify the vocals mid-speaker (assuming this is the way the music was recorded), though you do have to be sitting precisely in the “sweet spot” to get the most out of this.

6. These speakers blend nicely with my PC-Ultra sub.

My opinion is that the M22s could benefit from better source electronics. My Pioneer DVD player (digital out) + DACs onboard my Pioneer receiver is likely not getting the best out of them. In fact, my aging NAD 5000 CD player (using analog output) sounded a bit smoother. While both speakers could benefit from better source electronics, I believe the M22s will benefit more. Their uncolored presentation begs for better source material and front end.

I've read reviews that state the M22s can be bright. I noticed no such thing - even right out of the box when most speakers would be "tight" and have a tendency towards brightness. I’d qualify my system as leaning towards the “bright side” – particularly in the source electronics.

It was interesting comparing the two distinctly different speakers. Both do well on vocals, but the M22’s neutrality puts them ahead in this respect – particularly on male vocals. The NHTs had a richer sound, but seemed to add a bit of coloration in the midrange/mid-bass, and a bit of extra spit in the high frequencies. They definitely had a warmer presentation. The M22s had the same level of detail (or better) without adding anything, which is likely why they sounded better (and smoother) at higher volumes. Their neutrality came across as being thin or dry at first, but the more I listened, the more I realized that it wasn’t missing anything but the added coloration I was used to hearing.

I plan on buying a CD or two tonight. One is a CD that was used to demo the Thiels when I first started speaker shopping. I’d like to hear it on the Axioms. I already exhausted all of my “test” CDs.

Re: They're Here!!
BudgetAudiophile #160776 03/06/07 10:20 PM
W
Wid Offline
axiomite
axiomite
W
Quote:

My wife thought the M22s sounded better.

We know who the real Audiophile in the house is .

Rick

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

BudgetAudiophile #160777 03/07/07 12:04 AM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Oh no, not the speaker breakin discussion again. I'll just trust the feedback Alan and Ian have provided in the past about if any breakin does exist, it occurs within the first few seconds or so....

Welcome by the way.

M80s VP180 4xM22ow 4xM3ic EP600 2xEP350
AnthemAVM60 Outlaw7700 EmoA500 Epson5040UB FluanceRT85

BudgetAudiophile #160778 03/07/07 12:17 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Budget, or may I call you Bud , there are those who believe speakers "break in," and those who believe the perceived difference in a speaker's sound over a period of time is the listener becoming acclimated to the sound of the speaker.

There is really no need to debate the issue. Regardless whether you believe a speaker breaks in, or a listener's ears/brain break in, I think most would agree that it is a good idea to spend a couple of weeks listening to a speaker before making any critical judgments. Just sit back, relax, and enjoy those puppies. At some point, you'll know whether they are for you or not.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
BudgetAudiophile #160779 03/07/07 12:52 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Nice review! Look forward to the detailed version sans subwoofer. It is a lot of fun to read about speaker comparisons, but they are extremely hard to write (for me, at least). Enjoy the new speakers.

Pics would be cool, too. Especially of the NHTs and the Axioms together.

"Nothin' up my sleeve. . ." --Bullwinkle J. Moose
St_PatGuy #160780 03/07/07 03:21 PM
B
buff
OP Offline
buff
B
I could provide pictures, but then everyone would laugh at where the speakers are located. I've had to make a few compromises in order to get the house ready to sell. I used to have all my equipment set up properly in the family room, but space utilization in that configuration was poor. Now, the room looks much better, but the sound has suffered. Maybe a close-up of the speakers will do.

I purchased "When Hell Freezes Over" (Eagles) last night. It's a good CD if you like the Eagles. 'Hotel California' is a great track to test midrange clarity and bass "quickness". I did a quick A/B with the NHTs, and the differences were quite clear. M22's win this battle hands down. Even my wife (sitting way off-axis) quickly noted that there's a big difference between the two speakers. Midrange clarity is clearly better on the M22s.

Ajax #160781 03/07/07 03:37 PM
B
buff
OP Offline
buff
B
I realize there's some debate about speaker break-in. If Alan says these speakers need no break-in, that's good enough for me. He should know. In the past, some manufacturers have suggested a break-in period. Some reviewers swear some speakers benefit greatly by break-in (the Thiels, in more than one review, were reported to improve over time).

Personally, I'd take the manufacturer at its word. If they say give it 40 hours of use before doing any critical listening, that's what I'll do. If they say it doesn't need more than 30 seconds, that's cool, too (better, actually).

My thought is that even if the speaker doesn't need a break-in period, a _quality_ speaker will tend to sound better over time. Not necessarily due to any mechanical or electronic break-in, but due to the fact that it takes the listener time to hear all the nuances that may be missed initially. For me, it will be to get used to NOT hearing coloration.

BudgetAudiophile #160782 03/07/07 04:31 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Congrats on your M22s, Its a great feeling getting those speakers from the courier isn't it?

Now do yourself a favour, LEAVE this forum, and NEVER return to it, if you choose to stay, you MAY suffer from upgraditus and soon may find yourself "making" the finances work for a new amp and M80s...

Producer | Composer
www.robbhutzal.com
BudgetAudiophile #160783 03/07/07 05:41 PM
N
devotee
devotee
N
Quote:

I realize there's some debate about speaker break-in. If Alan says these speakers need no break-in, that's good enough for me. He should know. In the past, some manufacturers have suggested a break-in period. Some reviewers swear some speakers benefit greatly by break-in (the Thiels, in more than one review, were reported to improve over time).

Personally, I'd take the manufacturer at its word. If they say give it 40 hours of use before doing any critical listening, that's what I'll do. If they say it doesn't need more than 30 seconds, that's cool, too (better, actually).

My thought is that even if the speaker doesn't need a break-in period, a _quality_ speaker will tend to sound better over time. Not necessarily due to any mechanical or electronic break-in, but due to the fact that it takes the listener time to hear all the nuances that may be missed initially. For me, it will be to get used to NOT hearing coloration.

I think what gets us alarmed when people talk about speaker "break in" are the questionable tactics used by some manufacturers to limit returns within the warranty/return period by claiming that the speakers need more time to warm up or break in than the warranty or return period calls for!

Epic Grande Master 500 w/ on wall VP180
BudgetAudiophile #160784 03/07/07 06:25 PM
HAY Offline
aficionado
aficionado
Nice review and I'm glad you're happy with the 22's.

As for the break in, I think you said it yourself in the review best...
Quote:

Their neutrality came across as being thin or dry at first, but the more I listened, the more I realized that it wasn’t missing anything but the added coloration I was used to hearing.

once you have a little time listening to the new speakers your ears start hearing things differently...

High Gloss Cherry
M60 VP150 QS8
Open for Auditions but please don't drool on the High Gloss
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (rrlev), 740 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup