Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Macro Remotes
#162730 03/23/07 02:55 PM
A
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
A
Okay, I've really gotten tired of the girl friend and some guests not understanding how to turn on multiple devices with one remote - or hearing complaints about too many remotes. I've started researching macro or Icon-based remotes and thought I'd throw out the question here and some sound advice. I've looked at Logitec (well respected, cool website-based programming capability, not too expensive) and Crestron (high-end, fully capable of doing anything from downing a screen to turing off lights -won't pop corn though (yet) ) So, any suggestions ?? I value everyone's opinion on this board. Thanks - Mark

M22v3;VP150;QS8;Hsu VTF3-MK4 sub
Re: Macro Remotes
agentfox1942 #162731 03/23/07 03:30 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
My wife is very tolerant of home theater gear, but she has always hated the 5+ remotes that seemed to float around the den. Never mind the, 'I want to listen to this CD, how do I do that?' questsions. Not that I'd ever tell anyone, but even I was tired of hunting through the 'remote basket' just to find the DVD player remote....

So I finally broke down and bought a Logitech Harmony 550 a couple of months ago. That's the 'cheap' one. I have tried the garden variety $40ish Wal-Mart universal remotes before, and have always hated them because they always just 'sort of' worked.

At first I didn't like the Harmony. It was certainly better than the cheaper ones I had used, but it didn't blow me away. Since the setup is all PC via USB based it was far easier than the usual code-punching of lesser remotes. But the default button setups were a mess and barely worked at doing anything other than turning stuff on, changing modes, and flipping channels. I understand that it would be impossible to automatically configure itself perfectly, so I dove deeper into the software.

After a couple of good solid hours of tinkering I finally had the remote working as expected. Then a few days later while tinkering a bit more I screwed up the remote's understanding of my receiver's inputs and could not figure out how to undo what I did. So I had to completely delete the receiver, which cascade-deleted all of the 'macros' and configurations that I had set up. Since the receiver is involved in everything, pretty much everything was affected. There's no backup & restore function in the software, so I had to start all over.

Now that it's all set up (again) and running the way I want, it's great. All of the main functions are grouped around an 'Activity'. Want to watch TV? Just press the 'Watch TV' button and the Harmony fires off all of the commands to power up & switch modes of devices. No explanations necessary, it's very easy. One power button shuts down the whole system. I have customized it to set sound modes, navigate to certain menus in my DishDVR, and so forth. It's very easy to use and my wife loves it.

It's a bit more tricky to use when it comes to 'custom' functions like changing modes on the SACD player or adjusting speaker level balances, but it works.

After using it for a couple of months and adjusting the remote and becomming used to how it works, I rarely touch any of my other remotes. My verdict? It takes some time and patience to set up, but once that's done it's great. I'm happy with it.

Oh, and FYI, the Logitech's will do 'other' devices too, such as lights and screens, so long as you have an IR (or RF, with a higher-end remote) interface to them.

Last edited by PeterChenoweth; 03/23/07 03:46 PM.

M80v2 | VP150v2 | QS8v2
SVS Pci+ 20-39
Emotiva UMC-1 & LPA-1
M22ti + T-Amp, in the Office
agentfox1942 #162732 03/23/07 03:35 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Ray made most of us buy URC MX-700's a while back. Do a forum search on that term. Check out www.surfremote.com for a great vendor with good prices.

I completely solved the problem you describe with the MX-700. It is unbelievably powerful and versatile. There are newer versions out now, of course.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
tomtuttle #162733 03/23/07 04:43 PM
A
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
A
Tomtuttle, great website. I'll have to look it over more closely. Has anyone dealt with RF to IR conversions? I like RF for it non-line-of-sight capability, but most of the little "buds" you put in front of the common IR ports dont' work too well in my experiences. All of my components are IR. I really like that TX-1000.

M22v3;VP150;QS8;Hsu VTF3-MK4 sub
agentfox1942 #162734 03/23/07 05:19 PM
shareholder in the making
I have a Harmony 670, and I like it a lot. My only problems are the lack of codes for my DVD changer. Although the last code update now lets me skip FBI warnings, previews, everything. So I'm not touching that one again...

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
agentfox1942 #162735 03/23/07 07:03 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Both the Harmony remotes, and the Home Theater Master remotes from Universal Remote Control have loyal and ardent supporters so I suspect either would be an excellent choice.

I, however, am firmly in the Home Theater Master camp MX-700 and MX-850). I did try a Harmony and much preferred the HTMs. I loved the fact that the MX-700 and MX-850 are programmable on my computer without having to go online. But, that is just my personal preference and opinion which may not reflect yours. If you opt to get an HTM remote, be sure to buy from an authorized dealer so you can get the upgradeable software (not all HTM remotes are computer programmable. The ones from the MX-700, on up, are). Don't buy from Ebay or any other unauthorized vendor.

You can check for a local authorized dealer here.

Authorized Online Vendors

Abt Electronics
Email: websales@abtelectronics.com

B+H Photo Video
Email: jeff@bhphotovideo.com

Best Buy

Blue Do
Email: info@bluedo.com

Coolbuys Canada

Hi Fi Sound Connection
Email: chris@hifisoundconnection.com

Huppin's/OneCall
Email: onecall@onecall.com

Pro Remotes
Email: damondg@proremotes.com

SmartHome.com

Surf Audio Video
Email: sales@surfremotecontrol.com

Tweeter

I've almost always found the best prices at Surfremote, or Bluedo. YMMV. Regardless of which brand you choose, when you've made up your mind, be sure to email discounts@surfremotecontrol.com asking if they offer a discount on the particular model(s) in which you are interested. They are not allowed to advertise the discounted prices on the web site, and you could save some dough. You've nothing to lose by asking. The worst that could happen is they say "sorry, no discount on that particular model."

tomtuttle #162736 03/23/07 07:29 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Heehee. I was also coerced into buying an HTM/URC MX-700 by Ray. I've had almost as much fun building macros and redesigning the button setups as I have watching movies or listening to music. Now if I could just find input discretes for my new TV...

"That's some catch, that Catch-22." "It's the best there is." M22ti VP150 EP350 QS8 M3Ti
LightninJoe #162737 03/23/07 07:32 PM
Yeah, Ray got me too. Anyone ever see the episode of MASH where Radar is dealing black and white wingtips? At the end, everyone is standing in formation with them. That would be us here on the forum, with all of us holding up our MX-700s....

I STILL haven't programmed any macros for my MX700 because of my Samsung DLP not having discrete codes for power and input. It's something I'll look for on my next TV.

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
Ajax #162738 03/23/07 07:35 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Jack...as usual, provinding us with handy links! He provides excellent service around here. If you are getting a HTM remote, I don't think you'll need to look any further than that!

Anyway, I also have the HTM MX-700 and I love it although I'm terrible at programming it. But I believe if done correctly, all users will be able to operate it without any problems. You can even make a custom macro button to line up all workable settings again in case something gets screwed up. It's possilities seem endless as long as you take the time to program it.

M60s
VP150
QS8s
Marantz SR6003
Samsung LN52B550
Oppo DV-980H
Insignia NS-WBRDVD
sonicfox #162739 03/23/07 07:47 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I have the Harmony 880 and love it. The only thing it won't control is my PS3 which is bluetooth, #$%!!!## SONY

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,477
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters