Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Denon AVR-4806 vs. ARCAM AVR-350
ravi_singh #164480 04/10/07 06:41 PM
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
All- Thnaks for the input. My issue is not around speaker balancing etc though as I am a vetran with the SPL meter/calibration. My issue is truly around equalization. I have an SMS-1 and have my frequency response from 20-100hz pretty flat. My issue is in the high frequencies on 2 channel. The sound is too harsh and fatiguing at high volumes. I know this is not an issue of the speakers, b/c in my old room they sounded great. I have laid down all the padded rugs and moved furniture to the extent that my wife will let me. I also cut the treble function on my HK, but that was not enough and did not solve the issue. Just trying to figure out which receiver will likely have the most impact on softening those high frequencies.

M60 VP150 2x QS8 EP500 HK 7300 DENON DVD-3910 Sony 60" SXRD
darthkringle #164481 04/11/07 05:43 PM
M
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
Y’all are confusing Audysey EQ with speaker balancing. Two completely different things, although they do work hand in hand.

Speaker balancing / calibration should always be done with a meter and test tones. Audysey is very good, but after you run it, you’ll still want to verify the results with your meter and most likely change settings to some degree.

Where Audysey shines and does what a meter can never do, is add a multi point EQ to each speaker in the room and change the speaker’s sonic characteristics to match the room’s unique sonic characteristics. Again, you can later change these settings, but will probably leave them be.

Some audiophiles will gasp in disgust with the mention of using an equalizer, but they really need to climb out of the dark ages and give it a try.

I can toggle back and forth between the Audysey settings and no EQ and just can’t believe how better it sounds with the EQ on. Everywhere I sit in the room, I am sitting in a sweet spot. The sound is much more enveloping and enjoyable.

As far as recommending a receiver, I’d need to know if HMDI audio from HD / BR players is important to you. If so, you really need to be a bit more picky…….

michael_d #164482 04/11/07 06:24 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
So, Mike, it sounds like you're pretty satisfied with that Marantz, eh?

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
michael_d #164483 04/11/07 07:15 PM
old hand
OP Offline
old hand

As far as recommending a receiver, I’d need to know if HMDI audio from HD / BR players is important to you. If so, you really need to be a bit more picky…….

Not concerned w/HDMI as I route from source to TV and have the necessary connections. I have also considered the Marantz SR8001 based somewhat on your ravings. Do you think it could assist w/my high freqencies where the HK7300 did not (Using Treble cut of -4)? Thanks Mike.

M60 VP150 2x QS8 EP500 HK 7300 DENON DVD-3910 Sony 60" SXRD
darthkringle #164484 04/11/07 11:03 PM
M
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
Tom and DK,

I am not completely satisfied with the Marantz, but that’s just me. I’ve come to the conclusion that Neverhappy took my screen name.

I think right now, for HD / BR HDMI lossless sound, either the Marantz 8001 or the Denon 4806 are the best two receivers on the market – considering price. My Marantz has an issue with discrete 6 /7 channel lossless PCM which the Denon does not. I just heard today this has been resolved with the latest batch of units being shipped. No word if Marantz will offer a firmware up date for current owners though. Other than that, I have no burning desire to buy a replacement. I don’t even need an external amp for my room. If I pin the volume, I can get an average spl of 105 db (with higher peaks) in my 1800 cubic foot room with the sub off. – and it sounds mighty fine….

I wasn’t trying to rave or put a plug in for any particular receiver with my earlier post. I am just making a distinction between Audysey and speaker calibration. And yes, I think that it will help you with your room, DK. You can run Audysey and let it do its thing, then go into the manual calibration mode and tweak these settings to your liking if they don’t completely satisfy you. Audysey will change the frequency response of EVERY speaker at numerous points after it runs test tones from each speaker six times for six different mic positions.

You can then select to use the EQ settings as is, your own settings, flat or front. Flat changes all speakers to sound the same, front changes them all to sound like the mains. I wasn’t too impressed with flat or front. I wasn’t too impressed with MY settings either. Audysey is definitely smarter than I am….

When you run the set up, it also calculate speaker size, X-over point, delay and channel trim. Mine were very close and all I changed was a half a db hear and there. I also changed X-over points and tried running my M80’s as large and then small. I ended up changing them to small after tweaking with the Avia test disk (Audysey had the mains and center set to large). The LFE channel is smoother and more imersive with the mains and center set to small as it cycles back and forth from each channel to the sub. Don't ask me why....beats the hell out me. It was a blow to my pride to call my mighty M80's as "small", but I'm OK with that decloration of inferior manhood now. I've got a really big sub that compensates.

michael_d #164485 04/12/07 03:24 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Nice post, Mike. Thanks for the information and ongoing tutelage. It's cool how we learn from each other.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (BBIBH), 580 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup