Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Pre/pro combo with Axioms & other concerns--LONG
#164538 04/10/07 03:21 AM
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
I have been a lurker around here for a couple of years and have been sold on Axioms by the glowing reviews I have seen here and in other websites and publications. But I haven't had the opportunity to listen to them yet. And I'm certainly not the first person here to experience hesitation in making such a significant purchase without first-hand knowledge of the product. So please indulge me for a few moments and give me your thoughts on this.

I currently have a Sony STR-DA777ES with Infinity Overture 2s, an Infinity CC3 center, Infinity RS3 rears, and a Hsu VTF-2 (the old one). We're also using a Sony DVP-CX777ES 400 disc DVD/CS/SACD changer that's about 3 years old. I've had the rest of this stuff for about six years and have been extremely happy with the sound of the soft-dome tweeters in the Infinitys and the reliability and sound of the 777ES. The Hsu VTF-2 has been a tank, too.

BUT I am in the design stages of our next home which will include a dedicated theater room that will be filled with ALL new equipment. The pieces we currently own will be put into the great-room with some sort of flat-panel display for watching television and an occasional movie while being busy in the kitchen.

The theater will be just under 2900 cubic feet and the Axiom setup that seems best by the Home Theater Wizard would be the M60/VP150/QS8(4)/EP500. The pre/pro combos that I am researching include the Sunfire TGP-5 ($3500) and Sunfire TGA-7200 ($3000), the Adcom GTP-870HD ($2500) and Adcom GFA-7707 ($3000), and the NAD M15 ($3000) and NAD M25 ($3000). All of the above are 7.1 and all support HDMI without need for external switching (otherwise I'd consider Parasound). The amps are 200 WPC (8 ohm) except the NAD @ 160 WPC (8 ohm). As you can see, $6000 is about the ceiling for what I'm willing to shell out for a combo like this. And budget is a large factor in building this theater for under $40K--that's why I'll do alot of the work myself.

So my biggest concern is that the Axioms with any of the mentioned combinations may not sound similar enough to a combo that I am accustomed to. Or will my ears grin from John Petrucci or Joe Satriani coming through the titanium tweeters? What about fatigue from these tweeters? Will they "soften" a little once the break-in period is done?

I certainly have more questions. I realize this decision should be based on what sounds best to me (and let's not forget the wife). I am relying on the experience of others to try and sell me on the sound of the Axioms based on what I currently have.

Thanks in advance!!

Last edited by Toddzilla; 04/10/07 03:32 AM.
Re: Pre/pro combo with Axioms & other concerns--LO
Toddzilla #164539 04/10/07 03:29 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
While Im not going to comment on the sound of the speakers I would like to point out that perhaps you will want to take a look at Emotiva, Personally I dont find their products particularly attractive but from what I have read about them they seem to be pretty decent for the money. I wish that instead of buying our B&K reciever that I had gotten an emotiva setup, Even though ive been very happy with the B&K.

If your willing to spend that much on the pre/pro and amp Personally I think the money would be better spent if you put a bit more in for the speakers and less for the electronics.

Haoleb #164540 04/10/07 04:10 AM
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
Amazing what $3000 will buy from Emotiva, isn't it?

The prices I quoted on the equipment I've looked at are MSRP. I believe there are deals to be found (even locally) that will bring one of those pre/pro combos closer to $5000. But still $2K more than Emotiva. I can put a chunk of that $2K into something that sneaks up on a person and gets expensive quickly--speaker wire and cables.

Last edited by Toddzilla; 04/10/07 04:11 AM.
Re: Pre/pro combo with Axioms & other concerns--LONG
Toddzilla #164541 04/10/07 04:31 AM
devotee
devotee
I,ve had the Adcom GTP 880 for about 22 months now and have no complaints, using vintage Carver amps. Havn't looked close at the new Adcoms. Sunfire was recently sold and the expectation based on the new owners' record was that production would be moved to china. Don't know if this matters to you or not but may be something to consider. There's at least one sunfire owner on this board. I would highly suggest you have a look at the dvd benchmark before buying a player.
I would consider ordering a pair of M-22's or m-3's if the cost of return shipping concerns you. That would give you a taste of the "axiom sound" with minimal risk. Then if you like them either upgrade to the system planned or use them as rears or in another room.

Re: Pre/pro combo with Axioms & other concerns--LONG
duckman #164542 04/10/07 12:59 PM
devotee
devotee
First of all things I'd bump up the M60 to the M80.
ANd EP600
then use the rest for a PRE/Pro amp combo.
Denon 58xx or what is wrong with the New Axiom Amp and a Aragon Pre/Pro

Pioneer sc-1525
M80 HG Cherry
Toddzilla #164543 04/10/07 06:26 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Toddzilla,

that speaker combination will be incredible.

If you are willing to try Emotiva, they like Axiom have a 30 day trial period. From what I have been reading, they are extremely hard to beat for the money.

Toddzilla #164544 04/11/07 03:04 AM
R
old hand
old hand
R
Well, I haven't heard the 60's or 500 but I can tell you that John Petrucci's "Suspended Animation" is currently one of my favorites rock and roll wise and sounds FREAKIN' PHENOMENAL through my 80's and EP600. I love DT too but his solo album shines. A better engineering / mix / mastering than any of DT's stuff. As for Joe, I have everything he's ever done. Most of his newer albums sound great. Some are a bit heavy on the bass but the newest, Super Colassal, is about the best mix. Don't worry about your ears bleeding, they won't. You'll love them.

Robert_W #164545 04/11/07 03:24 AM
veteran
veteran
I have the Rotel amp and preamp combo and I absolutely love it. The combo is under $3000

Axiom M60s, VP150, QS8s, EP500 -- Rotel 1075 & 1068 -- Panasonic BDT500 -- Panasonic 60S60
ereed #164546 04/11/07 02:48 PM
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
Thanks for the advice guys. But remember that I will not be putting any preamp in this room that doesn't support HDMI. It's unfortunate that Rotel and Outlaw (among others that I can't remember right now) don't have pieces that have HDMI in or out. I'm sure their engineers are designing and/or building new models that will and those pieces will be on the market within the next year or so. Those are still brands for me to consider since I have that much time.

I'm doing my homework to be ready to do this whole thing right the first time. What alot of this will undoubtedly boil down to is in-home auditions once the room is complete. Unless I can find someone with the exact same room dimensions and speakers I want to use, I'm probably going to have to play around with surround-speaker locations. So those speakers will probably have to be on stands. That's not a huge deal for me, but aesthetically I would rather have my QS8s wall mounted (maybe ceiling mounted, but that may be too high).

At this point, I am leaning toward the M80 since I will be running separates and the amp should have no trouble running the 4 ohm load with overheating. I'll also be going with the EP600 since I would like to stick with one sub.

Robert, thanks for the Satriani/Petrucci comments. That helps sell me on the Axiom product. Along with movies, I watch ALOT of concerts on DVD (Frampton, DT, Satriani/G3, Eagles, Eric Clapton, etc.). So being happy with the Axiom sound for that type of material is probably more important to me than movie watching. I have been wearing out my copy of G3 Live in Tokyo lately, but I'm only watching Petrucci doing "Glasgow Kiss" and "Damage Control". He played both of those in his set last month when I saw him in Denver for G3 with Satriani and Paul Gilbert--WOW!!. I'd love that one on DVD!! I loaned out my copy of DT "Score", so I haven't been able to watch that one lately.

Thanks for the time and input guys. I'd love some more. It is all welcome!!

Toddzilla #164547 04/11/07 03:30 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Don't wanna hijack, but have a quick question:
Blockbuster has two Satriani/G3 DVDs available: "Live in Concert" (1996) and "Live in Denver" (2003). Which is better....assuming one might be?

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020