Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: AVR What to buy, need help???
Spoiler #168259 05/17/07 06:47 PM
veteran
veteran
Thanks - looks like the best thing I've found yet; I look forward to reading it more carefully.

Spoiler #168260 05/17/07 08:58 PM
M
shareholder in the making
M
I remember reading this article years ago. Thanks so much for posting it.

I can tell you that the price difference between an ML 433 and an Emotiva MPS1 is not the result of a "better" ML design. The Emotiva uses more parts and similar toroids/caps/metalwork, etc. Perhaps Emotiva has an efficient supply chain and enjoys more material and labor productivity than ML and passes these savings on to its customers. And Emotiva's pricing model is "cost plus" whereas ML's is "market-based".

I had the chance a number of years ago to A/B my old $250 Yamaha stereo receiver with an $1800 NAD. Neither I nor my two buddies could hear a difference.

Spoiler #168261 05/18/07 01:38 AM
axiomite
axiomite
A good article Spoiler. I'm surprised JohnK had not posted the link more quickly. Though articles like this can be found around written by audio gurus (such as Masters, Loftt, Toole), i have yet to see a SINGLE similar article of a double blind test where someone could tell differences between quality made amps and brand name receivers (or similarly gauged boutiqe and 'common' gear).
I only ever read about the subjective rantings as to how those who want to see the science and numbers behind the conclusions have never:
A) heard a really good amp/cdp/{insert gear here}
B) must have poor hearing
C) are using a switcher that is corrupting the signal
etc.
etc.
etc.
etc.
etc.
etc.
etc.
etc.
etc.
etc.............

Anyone who doesn't have their own A/B switcher before stating such subjective conclusions as fact are being hypocritical. They want 'naysayers' to supply truth and fact but the 'believers' never supply any of their own beyond "what they swear they heard".
Anyone who has ever wondered how the magic trick was done knows how easy it can be to HONESTLY fool the human senses. What i fail to understand is why the 'believer' camp finds it so hard to want to try an honest A/B blind test to find out for themselves what is the truth.
Anyone who has had the opportunity to do this type of switching while auditioning at our home has fast become a believer of a different theory.

If two quality amps sound different it is because they were designed with some sort of filter, are not functioning properly, or they have a pathetic power supply. If an amp measures a frequency response flat across the spectrum and its power supply is not taxed, then once again i ask, "explain to people the very reason for how it sounds different"
Still waiting for a non-magical explanation and i've been on these forums now for oh about 5 years...

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
chesseroo #168262 05/18/07 01:46 AM
C
CV Offline
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
C
Magic is real! I tripped over it when I was walking to work on a rainbow this morning.

CV #168263 05/18/07 01:48 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Quote:

Magic is real! I tripped over it when I was walking to work on a rainbow this morning.

My daughter believes in the leprachaun from the Lucky Charms commercials, but in her defense, she is only 3.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
chesseroo #168264 05/18/07 02:45 AM
Right, chess; I've linked the Stereo Review test results several times in the past and could have done it again here, but didn't think that much discussion on the point would come up yet again. The article is a classic that remains unchallenged, i.e. unchallenged by solid evidence, not simply by those who stubbornly refuse to face the facts.
There aren't any miracles in audio, and keeping one's mind open to objective evidence, but closed to BS sure does help a lot in grasping this.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

zhimbo #168265 05/18/07 02:51 AM
M
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
Quote:

I've done a LOT of reading here and elsewhere, and the only times I've seen such claims is when someone is attributing them to some unnamed other person.

If you actually know of someone making these claims, feel free to point me. I've never seen it. I've never seen ANYONE recommend a 3-watt amp and/or reciever. I've never seen ANYONE saying that "any" receiver is as good as the best receiver.

Start the search with Johnk. You'll see the pattern unless you just want to argue with me over something as silly as this is. And use some common sense smarty-pants; I'm being sarcastic when I say one or three watts. But I am being serious when I say that John and others think any receiver you pull off a shelf in just about any Wal-Mart will play as loud as you could ever want.

So if we are all going to really argue over this, let’s not be generic. Cut this up into tangible pieces that can be disputed without all the other crap thrown in.

Are we going to argue sound quality in surround or stereo? Amps to amps or amps to receivers? Seperates to receivers? Using the processor’s DA’s or the players? How about Logic 7 verses Circle Surround? Dolby verses DTS?

Is there really a supreme being? I think he tripped me the other day, but maybe it was Darwin. I dunno for sure because I was reading an Excel spread sheet and graph telling me how my speakers sound and trying to get the F away from that damn monkey claiming to be my long lost brother who beamed down from his space ship last week.

I have a double dog dare your super duper blind 1080P verses 720P projector test to do.

There's a saying I like. "Don't prove me wrong to prove you right". I think it's fitting for this topic. The scientists are using data to prove that emotion and feeling does not exist and the believers are shaking their heads in sadness because the scientist will never "believe", so they will never “hear”.

Personally, I don't much care one way or the other and willing to pitch my tent in both camps as long as it isn't a dry camp and there's cute chics there.

michael_d #168266 05/18/07 04:50 AM
mdrew, JohnK may have stated many times that most receivers / amps are only using about a single watt or less on average at comfortable listening levels, but he has always qualified that by explaining that since music is dynamic, it often requires short bursts of tens or even hundreds of watts depending on listening habits. This requirement makes using an underpowered amp a bad idea.

Now, so you feel comfortable in this camp, here's a gift.

pmbuko #168267 05/18/07 05:08 AM
axiomite
axiomite
It looks like a sweaty glass of motor oil.

Some may say that's exactly what it is.

"Nothin' up my sleeve. . ." --Bullwinkle J. Moose
St_PatGuy #168268 05/18/07 05:29 AM
I knew there was a reason I didn't like the stuff...

<runs away>

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,944
Posts442,472
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters