Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Advice on re-construction options.
jakewash #169980 06/08/07 01:55 AM
W
Wid Offline
axiomite
axiomite
W
I have two young adults now. When they were small they were taught what not to touch. They have had stereo equipment around them all their lives.

Rick

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

SirQuack #169981 06/08/07 02:27 AM
shareholder in the making
Randy, if seeing just one would be adequate visual gratification, leave one in the rack and put the other in the closet(if the demons are gone). Don't worry about the difference in the length of the runs.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

JohnK #169982 06/08/07 03:08 AM
OP Offline
That is not a bad idea JohnK and it did cross my mind. Now I'm thinking if I'm going to do that I could have gone with the larger Stratos cases that have the heat sinks on the external sides, however, they are more expensive...

M80s VP180 4xM22ow 4xM3ic EP600 2xEP350
AnthemAVM60 Outlaw7700 EmoA500 Epson5040UB FluanceRT85

bridgman #169983 06/08/07 03:17 AM
OP Offline
John B,

Thanks for the ideas. I really built the AV closet and opening to have a nice look from the main room. I suppose I could build some shelves above, but then I'd have some equipment in the finished rack, and some outside. I'll give that some thought and maybe consult the Wife.

1) I suppose this option might help with air flow circulation a little. The heat seems to be rising, not going down so the heat would not be escaping out these bottom holes much.

2) There is no back plate, it is wide open on the backside just like the front. This is how I access all the connections from within the closet. I forgot you have dial-up and probably don't load the pictures above that show from both sides.

3) Again, there is not front glass door or anything on the front it is open, and also open on the back closet side, so there is already air flow between the main room and closet. Just think about cutting a hole in your wall into a large walk-in closet, build a wood frame with shelves to sit in this opening, and then trim out the drywall with oak trim, and that is what I have.

4) I am currently submerging the entire basement with mineral oil to cast out these demons that JohnK keeps sending my way.

SirQuack #169984 06/08/07 10:40 AM
Randy:
I'm coming into this late, but can't you mount a fan in the closet and put it on a switch next to your rack?

A large fan running at a slow speed will move as much air as a small fan at a high speed, yet be virtually silent. If necessary, you can change the voltage to it (I don't remember how at the moment) to run it "slower than low".

I think moving some air in there, even gently, would likely do the trick. Blow the air from the back out through the front of the rack, and you'll help heat your basement in the winter!

My general thought is that a well designed amp chassis wouldn't need much more than a little help in moving the air a bit; the heat sinks would take care of the rest as long as the air is moving.

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
SirQuack #169985 06/08/07 11:16 AM
axiomite
axiomite
>>I suppose this option might help with air flow circulation a little. The heat seems to be rising, not going down so the heat would not be escaping out these bottom holes much.

Understood. The holes are to let air flow in, not out, although of course the holes in the upper shelf will let air flow up from the bottom amp into the upper amp area.

The whole trick with fanless airflow is to minimize resistance and maximize chimney effect. You have a tiny amount of force -- the warm air is just a bit less dense than the surrounding air so moves up a bit -- working against the resistance of all the twists and turns the air has to flow through/round in order to get in or out. The system reaches equilibrium when the air is hot enough to flow enough through the resistance you have provided. If the resistance is high it can take a pretty high temperature to cause enough airflow.

If you want the equilibrium point to be less hot, you need less resistance (let the air flow in more of a straight line, don't ask it to turn corners, don't ask it to flow horizontally or down) or you need more force (use a chimney so you you benefit from the density difference over more time) or you need to start with cooler air. It's that simple.

Mark's idea of a big slow fan is good. The best would be to have the fan blow out (perhaps through a duct) into your room from above the rack so that cooler air would be sucked into the rack opening. You could even do one of those big fans you see for "mood" in so many movies. Whoop, whoop, whoop...

Last edited by bridgman; 06/08/07 11:19 AM.

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8
bridgman #169986 06/08/07 02:02 PM
Howzabout a BigAssFan?

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
bridgman #169987 06/08/07 02:09 PM
OP Offline
You guys sure are giving me some ideas, thanks a bunch, my head is spinning. Here is an old pic to remind you what the entire closet looks like. I basically built it to give my screen the appearance it was set back in the room. The only air flow comes from the AV opening and the door which is normally closed...in this pic the door opening is out of the picture but just to the right of the door waiting to be installed...

SirQuack #169988 06/08/07 03:02 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Randy,

Another idea...

Old technology but it probably would help.

Is the door going to the closet solid?

If so, you could possibly cut a hole in the door and put a grate over the hole
like they used to do on older houses for the return air for the AC. Or find a louvered door to replace the one that is on the closet.

Would help to facilitate the air flow from the front through the rack out the back and out the door...

Another option may be to put a return air duct in the closet (if there is not one already)...it would accomplish the same thing...pull air from the theatre through the rack out the ceiling of the closet...

I believe they also make smaller exhaust fans that could be mounted in the ceiling of the closet away from the rack that you could control with the amps turn on function...it would vent it into the crawlspace or redirect it outside similar to the flatulence vent in your bathroom...

Just my .02.

WhatFurrer

"Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup..."
Wid #169989 06/08/07 09:49 PM
J
J
Quote:

I have two young adults now. When they were small they were taught what not to touch. They have had stereo equipment around them all their lives.

And they never ever touched anything nor played anywhere near your equipment? Must have been nice, my kids have been good but I did make the mistake of leaving the grills off my M22's when my oldest was about 3 and he wanted to see what the round shiny things were and poked one driver, I guess once he found out it was solid he decided to see how hard it was and poked it with a stick, so he said. I now have one driver with a very small ding in the aluminum.

As I have said before my HT room is also the boy's play room in the basement so they do get to go down there for some unsupervised time, at least for a few minutes, and that was all it took. On the bright side my boys have never touched them since, as my oldest would stop his younger brother from touching them and few arguments between them have ensued.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics