Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: HDMI 1.3 receivers. Denon vs Sherwood Newcastle.
michael_d #171528 07/11/07 01:59 AM
shareholder in the making
Hmmm..., just took a look at the manual and on p.80 it states that if you change the decoder mode setting from "Auto" to "Last" that the last mode that was being used(DPLIIx, etc.) when you shut it off will still be in effect the next time that you turn it on. Now, this refers to the digital inputs, and I wonder if you have to use the coaxial or optical input(rather than HDMI, which is also digital, of course)for audio for this to take effect.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

JohnK #171529 07/11/07 03:05 AM
M
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
Yes, but look at page 78, under NOTES. This is under the Decoder type section.

The last note states:
When this unit is turned off, this setting will be reset to “AUTO”. When this happenes, it over rides the PLIIx selection.

I’m baffled to why Yamaha would do this. I find it, well, in a one word summation…stupid.

michael_d #171530 07/11/07 06:34 AM
Okay, took another look. About the only thing that's as enjoyable as studying receiver manuals is the Internal Revenue Code. The provision re "Auto" described on pp.77-78 appears to be independent of the one on p.80. If it wasn't, the one on p.80 would be impossible and "Last" would be nullified by the earlier setting. The pp.77-78 procedure appears to be a way to disregard "Auto", but just temporarily during that session, while the one on p.80 appears to have continuous effect.

What still isn't entirely clear is if setting "Last" applies only to coax and optical("Digital Inputs"?)inputs or also HDMI audio. You could at least try a coaxial cable for audio to see if in fact it stays on "Last".

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

JohnK #237948 01/03/09 06:17 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Thanks for reading the manual, John, you've solved my problem as well. I can confirm that the "problem" or strange design choice of defaulting the Extended Surround setting to Auto upon shutdown persists with the 663 model as well (I don't get it, Auto seems to do exactly nothing nothing anyway, so far it has never added rear surrounds unless program material is already encoded in 7.1, as if Auto is defined as: automatically decode program material as encoded, which seems to nullify the concept of "Extended Surround"); however, your solution does work for the HDMI audio input, even though the 663 manual continues to refer to "Digital Inputs" only with regard to the "Last" setting (perhaps the rubric "Digital" is meant to include coax, optical, and also HDMI?). I just tried the Last setting and it did override the default-Ex.-Surrounds-to-Auto-upon-powerdown setting; i.e., using the Harmony One remote, I powered everything off and then back on, and the PLIIx setting held for the Extended Surrounds.

I have to wait until Saturdays now to experiment with anything/work to correct settings, it sure has been getting old setting the Extended Surround menu option upon each power up, now I am a happy camper. \:\)

"If you try to turn toward it, you go against it."
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020