Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Designing first home theatre, a few quesitons.
tomtuttle #172284 07/11/07 09:49 PM
P
photon Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
P
Quote:

Hsu and SVS subs are also highly regarded, and offer a few more options at price points between the EP350 and EP500.

Wow, the most expensive HSU, the VTF-3 HO Subwoofer with Turbocharger, is still only $999.

photon #172285 07/11/07 09:57 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Quote:

could I also get away with using M22's as fronts in a properly built cabinet

Only if the M22's were well clear of any boundary surfaces. The only way I can see this really working is if you have the bottom part of the cabinetry fairly deep (so that it forms a counter-top) and have the top of the cabinetry much shallower (bookshelves or whatever) so that you could set the speaker on the front of the flat counter-top surface and have the other casework BEHIND it. You'd get some placement flexibility, but you'd probably eat up the cost savings in additional cabinet work, and then you'd have "boxes" sitting on the cabinets, which may not pass the WAF.

I don't think a scenario in which the front plane of a traditional speaker is flush with any top or side boundary "shelves" is going to give you very good results.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
photon #172286 07/11/07 10:04 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Quote:

the most expensive HSU, the VTF-3 HO Subwoofer with Turbocharger, is still only...

Yeah, but that thing is terminally fugly! And remember that the Axiom Factory Outlet will save you significant money (10%, I think). Likewise, if you order 5 or more pieces at one time from Axiom, I think they will knock off an additional 5%. Finally, Axiom ships FREE. And you'd be supporting Canadian jobs.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
tomtuttle #172287 07/11/07 10:12 PM
P
photon Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
P
Quote:

Yeah, but that thing is terminally fugly! And remember that the Axiom Factory Outlet will save you significant money (10%, I think). Likewise, if you order 5 or more pieces at one time from Axiom, I think they will knock off an additional 5%. Finally, Axiom ships FREE. And you'd be supporting Canadian jobs.

Oh yeah, didn't see the outlet store. Yeah that might make it worthwhile. Can get the black oak which would be easy to fix any blemishes.

For the HSU sub, would the VTF-3 or VTF-3 HO be better for the size of my room vs. the EP500?

photon #172288 07/11/07 10:30 PM
M
shareholder in the making
M
The VTF3-HO may be ugly but according to this it is certainly worthy of consideration. It appears to me that its performance may be somewhere between a 500 & 600. I'd sure like to know what the distortion figures are on a 500 and 600.

Hmmmm...I wonder if one of these turbos will take my 600 down to 10Hz.

photon #172289 07/12/07 12:20 PM
old hand
old hand
Quote:

I'm doing a projector and probably 92" screen, and you can see the seating area is going to be about 12-13' from the screen, though I could probably go closer.

My first thought is you may want to consider going with a different technology other than a projector. With your seating distance you are already 6' too close to the screen.

According to several forums your ideal seating should be about 2.5x the diagonal measurement of your screen. If yours is 92" then your seating distance should be about 19' and you're only at 13' on your diagram.

By choosing a smaller screen size, such as a 62" rear projection or flat panel TV, you will have more room for your speakers and less strain on you neck.

Believe me when I say you do not want to be too close to a high resolution/high definition screen! It loses it's crisp clear image.

Also this may allow you to convince the wife to let you get floor standers which will also eliminate your placement issues with the center and fronts. The front's will have room on either side of the screen, and the center can be placed up above the TV without being up too high. Besides, if she is going to allow a sub with a 12" driver in it, which is quite large, why will she not allow two floor standers like the M60's?

Just my $0.2

"Tis better to desire that which you do not have, than to have that which you do not desire!"
Joey #172290 07/12/07 12:24 PM
M
M
Joey,

Those are excellent suggestions.

Mojo #172291 07/12/07 12:35 PM
old hand
old hand
Thank you MoJo! Though I have not been on this forum for very long, I have been on AVS's since 03 and I guess I have learned a few things in the process.

Where I am still learning is in the area of speakers themselves. I always believed that a speaker-was-a-speaker-was-a-speaker! Not so! Therefore I generally only make comments when I feel strongly that I know what I'm talking about, even though I may still be completely wrong.

Sorry for getting off topic here.

"Tis better to desire that which you do not have, than to have that which you do not desire!"
Joey #172292 07/12/07 12:48 PM
devotee
devotee
Quote:

My first thought is you may want to consider going with a different technology other than a projector. With your seating distance you are already 6' too close to the screen.

According to several forums your ideal seating should be about 2.5x the diagonal measurement of your screen. If yours is 92" then your seating distance should be about 19' and you're only at 13' on your diagram.

Believe me when I say you do not want to be too close to a high resolution/high definition screen! It loses it's crisp clear image.

I have a 90' screen and I usually sit about 14' to 15' away from it and it works perfectly fine, I don't really see any picture issues with SD and it's perfect with HD. Though I agree that if you're going to sit closer than that then you might need to consider a smaller screen size. The bottom line is that those 2.5Xwidth are guidelines and it's not always a black/white decision since it can depend on the projector, screen and video material. The best way to tell would be to test the pj you want in your room before purchasing.

photon #172293 07/12/07 01:14 PM
N
devotee
devotee
N
Quote:

So, not exactly in a cabinet, right? Rather, build the cabinetry so that the front of the cabinet becomes - inwith using M22's as fronts in a properly built cabinet rather than the Architectural series?

If you are going with M22's I would seriously recommend that you NOT place them in cabinets, even with the front of the speakers outside of the cabinet fronts. These are ported speakers and you will introduce unwanted colorations and defeat the purpose of the speaker design.

I have my M22's in a wall unit with open sides and rear. No issues whatsoever. You may want to try this, or build a roll out tray in the cabinet so that when you are listening to them, you have no boundary issues.

Epic Grande Master 500 w/ on wall VP180
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,477
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020