Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: "Riding with the King" DTS - AWESOME!!
#17234 08/12/03 07:15 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Man, I'm wishing some moderator would just go ahead and rename the thread "Blues recommendations" so that we'd have some symmetry with the Jazz and Classical threads.

I appreciate the sharing, and will definitely take advantage of recommendations made here (thanks for the tip on Rory Block).

I've been really enjoying Susan Tedeschi lately. I know, it's a pretty commercial album and not pure blues, but a girl's gotta pay the bills. Love her voice. And I don't seem to tire of Bonnie Raitt; the double live CD from a few years ago is one of the better remote recordings I've heard. Again, not a purist's blues record, but fun anyway. They are playing Lucinda Williams on the radio up here quite a bit, but I don't own any yet. She might do.

Other than that, you've got me stumped for the moment.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
#17235 08/12/03 07:21 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Another obscure, regional recommendation - Lloyd Jones (aka "The Lloyd Jones Struggle"). Have seen him many times at bars and festivals in the Northwest (I think he is from Portland), including opening for Dr. John at which he stole the show, IMO. Electric guitarist/singer with full band including horns. "Small Potatoes" is a fabulous disk, but may be very difficult to find. Check out a new record by him collaborating with Double Trouble at http://www.telarc.com/Blues/title.asp?sku=CD%2D83585 and his homepage at www.lloydjonesmusic.com. No affiliation, just a fan.

Last edited by tomtuttle; 08/12/03 07:36 PM.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
#17236 08/12/03 10:10 PM
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
Woah! A very nice knowlege base of the blues we got here! Allow me to insert a few more names. Buddy Guy. The speed and ability to make masterpieces up on the fly is astonishing. Jimmy Hendrix had some very excellent blues songs, Red House being the standout. Alber Collins could finger pick like a madman. And although he isn't truly bluesy persay, Eric Johnson has technique that is perfect. The man never messes up! I'm enjoying Susan Tedeschi as well, at least the whole album is mainstream. And finaly, Sue Foley is another female singer/guitarist that I'm liking. Sue's only weakness in my ears is her high piched voice. Currently at Sam's Wholesale you can find a 4 disk SRV package that has many recordings, live recordings, previeously unreleased material (MTV Unplugged songs), and a one of the disks is a DVD with live perfomances from his Austin City Limits apperances. Now I gotta go and find a few of these cd's mentioned...I'm so glad I started this thread, the blues have a strong hold on you once you hear it and understand it. In turn it creates a bond among all those who love it. And unlike some of the music being released for newer generations, (some of this music I truly enjoy btw), the blues isn't a jealous genre...it allows you to visit and explore other music. It encourages you too.

Grass grows green when manuer is placed upon it.
#17237 08/12/03 11:47 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Crossing Muddy Waters is my favorite CD from John Hiatt. I was lucky enough to see him live acoustic along with Guy Clark, Joe Ely, and Lyle Lovett. Just 4 guys and their guitars. Awesome!

#17238 08/13/03 04:22 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I bought that SRV collection at Costco a couple years back for my brother (who first introduced me to SRV with "Couldn't Stand the Weather"). I didn't think the DVD was as good as the "Live at the Mocambo" disc - or even the rest of the Austin City Limits footage you can find on PBS every now and then, but there are some gems on the CDs. "Goin' Down" with Jeff Beck, and a medley of surf riffs played SRV style are a couple that stood out for me. What I really want, and don't flame me for saying this on your blues thread, is Riviera Paradise. Never seen that disc for sale used though.

#17239 08/13/03 11:33 PM
M
devotee
devotee
M
Tooooooo many Susan Tedeschi cd's.. !!?? Which one is the best of the lot ??
I was also unable to find a Lloyd Jones cd... Will try again tomorrow.. Same for Lucinda Williams..

LFE ! The rest is just details..
#17240 08/14/03 12:01 AM
M
devotee
devotee
M
Ok, I have a brand new still wrapped copy of Crossing Muddy Waters sitting right here on my desk.. Will be opening it up and giving it a spin just as soon as Keb MO's City Boy finishes up.. Boy, ain't it sweet..
Bill, get a copy of 'The Sky is Crying'.. And his 'In the Beginning' cd... In my opinon, this has the best version of Tin Pan Alley.. I also really like his version of VooDoo Chile over Jimmy's.. You CAN'T play that one loud enough.. I do get some looks from time to time sittin out in the parking lot at lunch time.. hahaha..
Oh yeah, Riviera Paradise is on the 'In Step' album..
Ok... Time to slip Hiatt into the player.. The anticipation is killing me..
By the way, Jeff Beck is another over looked great.. Blow by Blow used to rock my neighborhood back some years.. I would set up a large part of my concert sound system INSIDE my apt !! And crank it.. People were a lot more understanding back in the early 70's.. Try that one today, and see how many helicopters fly over your place .. hahahaha

#17241 08/14/03 01:43 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hey Mikey, how's it goin'in the OC? Where you at? - I grew up in Yorba Linda.

Re: Beck's Blow By Blow and Wired. The Axioms work well on opening up those '70s recordings. I heard there are new digitally remastered SACD (or were they DVDA?) versions of both those albums. Might be worth it.

I have that SRV album laying around here somewhere, but it's either vinyl or a cassette - neither of which I use anymore. I do have Riviera Paradise on the SRV tribute album "Crossfire", but needless to say, it ain't as good as the original.

#17242 08/14/03 07:09 PM
M
devotee
devotee
M
Yeah, The OC ! haha.. Like, who calls it that, eh ? Now we are all famous for living here.. Gotta hand it to hollywierd, they do know who to promote stuff..
As for me, I'm in Surf City USA.. Huntington Beach, right down near the pier.. Sweeeet...
Gonna have to look for those remastered copies.. I don't have a high tech player yet, but some day..
And I take if from your post in Home Theater, that you did in deed find the big screen you wanted ?? Ain't life grand...... You betcha...

#17243 08/14/03 09:06 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Oh yeah, you told me HB before. Duh. No big screen yet. With the way TV technology is changing it's difficult to pull the trigger. If I were to get one right now I would probably go with the 60" Phillips at Costco for $1599 (or was it $1699?). Looked at the 60" Mits but the cheaper one is not HD upgradeable, and I did seem to see some of that "red push" that some mention with Mits.
For now I just move my chair closer to that little ol' 36" JVC and cry in my beer.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters