amps
#1727 02/20/02 02:06 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I am just beginning on the long road toward audiophilia with a pair of m22ti's. I'm just wondering if anyone might share their experiences with amps (tube or ss). There seems to be a relgious/atheist split, so objectivity (though all good sound is personal, I suppose) is hard to come by.
I'm saving now to buy a decent receiver (leaning towards a NAD), and I'm also unsure if I should weigh my choice according to what amp I eventually find.
Last, I want to give my thanks to Alan and BBIBH for cutting to the chase on cable gear.

Thanks,
Peter

Re: amps
#1728 02/20/02 02:53 AM
connoisseur
Online Content
connoisseur
You are more than welcome! It is nice to find new people interested in a hobby I have enjoyed for many, many years. Cables are a well discussed point in audio circles, as are tubes and less so these days - vinyl.

I have both types of amplifiers, and can provide feedback as to your questions. So if you have anything specific, ask away!

The NAD is a good product, and will not disappoint. You have not provided any information as to what you are looking for. The requirements you have may alter your short list, with budget playing a major part. I am not sure what you mean by " I'm also unsure if I should weigh my choice according to what amp I eventually find."

Maybe we can provide comments and a general direction.

Regards,

BBIBH

#1729 02/20/02 05:42 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My vague inquiry really shows how new I am at the game. After quite a bit of searching, I'm now beginning to notice the finer points of audio (rolling off of bass, fuzzy high end, etc.), whereas before I took speaker sound for granted unless it was terrible or really awsome.
I listen primarily for audio, though I have thoughts of hooking up an HT (10' by 15' living area for now) My listening spectrum is wide (classical old jazz, rock). I like to spin vinyl as well (though I had to give my Dual 1241 back to my folks, and my friends don't know what "lp" stands for)
I became intrigued by tubes a while back when I came across a setup with two old monoblocks, and I like the idea of hands on vintage stuff--but have almost no exposure to it for evaluation. I've never owned an amp--as you can see, I really haven't gotten my hands dirty.
My next move is a receiver to go with the m22's--digital, in about the 500 dollar range. I'm hoping to uncover a decent trade in.
I hope this gives a clearer direction of where I'm headed (although part of the fun is not having to strict a path and discovering what comes next).

Thanks again,
Pete

p.s I've had a pair of AR3's I was given last year--they look great, but are stricken with foam rot and really feel tired and mushy--that's what finally spurred me to start exploring.

#1730 02/20/02 11:15 PM
connoisseur
Online Content
connoisseur
Well everybody has to start somewhere! Your mind is open, and you will see and hear things that make you smile and cringe! So, on to the question....

Tubes are still alive and kicking. Many manufacturers still offer tubes, but they are typically an attraction to those who are more familiar with them. There are several inexpensive tube amps available that are good quality and produce good audio. They require a little more maintainance than electronic (IC or Transistor) based amps. Mainly you need to provide "breathing" room, as they tend to run very warm/hot. Tubes need to be replaced occasionally, and electronic amps don't - at least if they don't breakdown. Tube amps are generally lower powered than electronic counterparts, but can sound as good or better with less power. Clipping is not as much of a danger, as tube amps tend to get "fuzzy" when overdriven.

LP - Long play is alive and well. If you venture down the path to acquiring a new table, you still have quality choices.

If I read your post correctly, you own (or have decided on) the M22. You have $500 to buyan amp, cd or both. Is that correct? You mentioned NAD, and I would also add Cambridge, Rotel, and Arcam to the list. This becomes tougher if you want a CD as well as amp for $500. Please advise.

Maybe you can pickup replacement drivers for your AR's. This may get you buy until your budget allows greater flexibility.

You are correct...the chase is exciting! I encourage you to listen to as many products at various price points so you can develop a perspective on quality products. If you have read my posts, I recommend favouring the source (CD/LP/DVD) over other pieces.

Let us know how you make out.

Regards,

BBIBH

#1731 02/22/02 03:43 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Sorry-- I wasn't really clear on my budget. I'm was ready to try out the m22's, but just got wind of the GR research paradox-1 kit, which sounds rather appealing, as I wouldn't mind building my own enclosure. I'm waffling on the decision this week.
As for my budget--I've got about $500 on top of that which I can spend on either a receiver (or maybe just an integrated). Then, I'll fill in the pieces as soon as I can (maybe 300-500 on a CD player, and I'm thinking the ASL wav-8 might be a fun, inexpensive intro to tube amps)
What has been your experience with tubes and preamp/amp mixtures?

Thanks,
Pete

#1732 02/22/02 03:56 AM
connoisseur
Online Content
connoisseur
Well, if you don't need the tuner, an integrated is a good way to go. I posted some brands of good quality in a thread in HT. Names like NAD, Rotel, Cambridge, Creek, to name but a few. I am very enamored with the Antique Sound Labs models, as they sound very good. Tube amps of quality will expose weak components, especially preamps.

DIY kits are excellent ways to learn about audio components. If you have the background, desire and patience, they can be very rewarding. However, they can be very expensive teaching aids that can be rendered useless if you are "not quite as skilled". You can even buy DIY amps, preamps, etc...if you are the adventurous sort! You can buy cabinets completed if you choose, and alter them as you would like.

My background is in electronics/electrical/hi tech, and for the most part, I buy manufactured products. I have in the past been heavily into designing components and DIY projects.

If you have a source, and plan to build speakers, this will allow you to buy a solid integrated. As you state, you can then save for a source upgrade. Only you know the state of your current systems and bank balance!

Regards,

BBIBH

#1733 02/23/02 02:19 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I appreciate the advice--I will see how it goes.

Thanks,

Peter

#1734 02/23/02 03:25 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I would also add outlaw to that list of receivers to check out, especially if you think you may be using this system for home theater. Nad makes great receivers but they're mostly known for music-only systems.

#1735 02/23/02 05:12 PM
connoisseur
Online Content
connoisseur
Based on the previous posts, music only is the direction he is heading. I have not heard of anyone using tube amps for home theater...although anything is possible!

My experiences with the Outlaw are not as positive as some people have posted. As a musical piece, some of the brands provided would outclass the Outlaw. You are correct that if HT is a future requirement, it should be on his list. However, some of the brands listed , NAD, Rotel, do offer HT capable products.

It simply comes down to what the original poster has on the want list.

Regards,

BBIBH

#1736 02/23/02 07:01 PM
GAB Offline
frequent flier
frequent flier
BBIH,

What is your experience with the Outlaw?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters