Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: SUB Volume???
Mojo #172865 07/19/07 11:31 PM
shareholder in the making
I moonlight as one at work, if only because I'm the one whose least reluctant to document processes in my group.

pmbuko #172866 07/20/07 12:59 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Wow, some nice pictures here- maybe you guys should be writing the technical manuals.

Yes, the settings in your reciever are just trim settings, so that you can get everything balanced/equal to each other. Then the master volume changes the volume of everything from there.

-Dave

M80s VP150 QS8s EP500s
ravenmanor.com/cinema/
Joey #172867 07/20/07 03:37 AM
Joe, the first point is that the volume control on the receiver doesn't do what you think it does; it doesn't directly increase the watts which are available for the speaker to use. It's a variable resistor which varies the percentage of the voltage which comes in to the receiver(e.g. from a CD player)which gets sent on to the following amplifiers, either the built-in receiver amplifier for the speakers or the amplifier inside a powered subwoofer. The voltage from the CD player will vary widely, depending on how loud the music on the CD is at the moment, from less than .01 volt to a maximum of maybe 2 volts, but lets say that it's exactly 1 volt at this point. Next, lets say that at a certain point on the receiver volume control(not necessarily half-way)it lets 50% of that 1 volt through to both the speaker amplifier in the receiver and the amplifier inside the sub. If the music on the CD got louder and the CD player outputs 1.5 volts, at that same 50% volume control setting both the speaker and sub amplifiers would get 50% of 1.5 volts(i.e. .75 volt instead of .50 volt), and both of the sets of amplifiers would amplify that increased voltage, so both the speakers and the sub would get louder. If on the other hand, the CD output remained at 1 volt, but you turned the receiver volume control up to a point where it let 75% of the voltage through, both amplifiers would again get the increased voltage(e.g. .75 volt), amplify it, and again both the speakers and the sub would get louder.

The sub output control on your receiver, which you say is numbered 0 to 20, is a separate matter which adjusts the sub up or down in relation to the speakers, but as described above, both get the increased voltage for their amplifiers if you turn up the receiver volume control and so both get louder.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

tomtuttle #172868 07/20/07 10:56 AM
Joey Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Quote:

The line level on the sub doesn't remain at +10 all the time. It remains at +10 relative to the other levels.

Tom Tuttle is the winner!!!!!

Thanks for making it so simple and clear!!!!

Actually, thanks to all of you who have replied for clearing up what should have been obvious to me

If nothing more than I learned something new...it also contributed to a nice exchange of information and technical know-how!

Also, as promised, I have a chincy web site now with pictures of my HT at Seman's Super Cinema

"Tis better to desire that which you do not have, than to have that which you do not desire!"
Joey #172869 07/20/07 11:47 AM
M
M
Hi Joey,

Thanks for the pictures and congratulations on your new HT.

I noticed you have the side speakers mounted very forward. I am curious how that sounds during movies.

Your centre looks very high to me. How does it sound? Have you tried tilting it down a bit?

Joey #172870 07/20/07 11:52 AM
Quote:

Tom Tuttle is the winner!!!!!

(kicking dirt with hands in pockets): Oh, MAN! What a gyp!

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
MarkSJohnson #172871 07/20/07 12:23 PM
I loved your use of gradient to give the knob a 3D look, Mark, but no amount of special effects can save a movie with a crappy plot.

pmbuko #172872 07/20/07 12:33 PM
LOL.....

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
Mojo #172873 07/20/07 01:42 PM
Joey Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Quote:

Hi Joey,

Thanks for the pictures and congratulations on your new HT.

I noticed you have the side speakers mounted very forward. I am curious how that sounds during movies.

Your centre looks very high to me. How does it sound? Have you tried tilting it down a bit?

Yes, they are a little forward...I'm surprised you could tell from the pictures. The room is just over 20' long and with 7.1 I really couldn't put them any farther back. Besides, on the left side of the room the only wall is what encloses the furnace. So I had no real choice but to try and align the two sides across from each other. They are 10' back from the front wall. I suppose a 5.1 setup would have been good enough, but I have had 7.1 for several years now and I just couldn't bring myself to go back!

I always employ the PLIIx surround field when possible so nearly all signals utilize the rear surrounds. This makes it sound really very good. Especially with the quad-pole design of the QS8's you still get the immersive surround sound that we're seeking. Even when I had direct radiators on the sides I would point them back towards the listening area and they sounded pretty good...so I thought. But with the quad pole design of the QS8's it doesn't distract to have them so far forward. In reality they are about 2.5' farther back than the direct radiators were. If only the sides get utilized, as in some TV broadcasts, then they still sound fairly good due again to the nature of the QS8's. Of course when the sides are the only surrounds being utilized then there is little coming from directly behind you.

Though it's hard to see from the pictures, the couch is out from the back wall by about 2' and this helps in the rear surround effects.

I have always placed my center on top of my TV. Fortunately my Samsung HLN617W 61" DLP has a fairly deep 2-9/16" ledge that runs the width of the TV and is very sturdy. Even after 4 years of center chanels, including the VP150 there is no sag visible. It's almost as if the designers knew that people would be placing their center's on top so they reinforced that area. I have never felt that it "sounded" up too high. With the blend between the front M60's it makes it sound as if the dialog is coming right from the middle of the screen. Because the ledge is only 2-9/16" wide there is no way for me to try and point the center down without the fear of it sliding right off. I have thought about setting it on the floor but it is a little too tall and would block the IR signal from reaching my Oppo DVD player and my Panasonic receiver. Not to mention someone would certainly come along and kick the thing causing me to cry.

"Tis better to desire that which you do not have, than to have that which you do not desire!"
Joey #172874 07/20/07 02:52 PM
Do you have an option of moving the couch forward a bit so the side surrounds are closer to the ideal position? I'm guessing if your sitting in the rocker it would be a much better experience than on the couch alone the back wall. The Q's are forgiving, but not sure that much.

M80s VP180 4xM22ow 4xM3ic EP600 2xEP350
AnthemAVM60 Outlaw7700 EmoA500 Epson5040UB FluanceRT85

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,477
Members15,617
Most Online2,082