Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: Paramount and Dreamworks HD DVD exclusive...
Joey #173217 08/21/07 03:15 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Quote:

I agree! Besides, as I've stated before, regular DVD's with a good up-converting player such as one from Oppo makes my movies look "nearly" as good as high def! Even when the war ends (if it ever does) I see no reason to move to a new player and all new movie purchases. This is just another attempt to get more money out of us all.

I finally got my taste of the difference between an upconverting DVD player and a HD-DVD player and did a couple of "side by side" comparisons. It was not at my house, but at the house of one of my kid's friend's parents. They just bought a HD-DVD player and got a couple of "rentals" from Netflix in HD-DVD. They also have the same Panny S97 upconverter that I do (which to me does a GREAT job, and I love mine at home with my projector). They have a front projector (didn't get the model) that was 1080p on to a 136" screen. We watched bits from a couple of movies. We watched a little of "300", "Batman Begins", and "The Bourne Identity"... I had 2 of these on DVD and brought them along, and they had borrowed "300" from someone else on DVD, and got the others in HD-DVD. We spent a couple of hours playing around with standard DVD resolution (yuck) compared to upconverted DVD (which looked good to me) and then popped in the HD-DVDs... WOW! I SO much wanted to get on the HD bandwagon after that. The picture of an upconverted DVD is nice, but it definately isn't HD (which we all know) and the imaging on the HD versions of these movies was really good.

Makes me wish I never went over there. There are so few artifacts with HD, less grain, better color/contrast. it was NICE. With upconversion, if the source DVD is a little grainy, you are just ending up with an upconverted, but grainy, image. No upconverter can really improve the picture quality, it can just guess (through complex algorythms of course) where to add pixels to get higher resolution. Keep in mind that the last statement sounds negative towards upconversion, and yet I LOVE my upconversion at home and am an advocate for it. I was just amazed that it would be enough of a better picture to make me wish that this dumb war was over.

As for rebuying everything in HD, that would be crazy. I only plan on getting a couple of movies that I already own in some HD-DVD format (Lord of the Rings trilogy and the Star Wars movies). I doubt that I will worry about rebuying anything else in my 300+ DVD collection. I would think that most people would do the same and only get a couple of duplicates. It isn't like the HD players can't play DVDs so I am not sure where the assumption comes in that people are going to switch out all of their DVDs...

Farewell - June 4, 2020
medic8r #173218 08/21/07 04:07 PM
shareholder in the making
No, I think that "White and Nerdy" is better than "All about the Pentiums"

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
pmbuko #173219 08/21/07 04:10 PM
C
CV Offline
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
C
Quote:

No reason? You think profit and market dominance aren't a reason?

Okay, you've got me there. That's their reason, but you know what I meant. Neither of those things are nearly as likely this way.

I like how many times Blu-ray has won, though.

CV #173220 08/21/07 04:12 PM
Everyone seems to hate Sony but love Blu-ray. Why?

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
Ken.C #173221 08/21/07 04:13 PM
Sorry to go further OT, but I just shot a Weird Al concert last week and have to admit, it was much better than my expectations. My wife liked it to, and thought she'd hate it. Nice guy, too!

I'll consider myself a fan from now on..... even if I don't admit it to a lot of people!

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
nickbuol #173222 08/21/07 04:13 PM
C
CV Offline
C
Quote:

As for rebuying everything in HD, that would be crazy. I only plan on getting a couple of movies that I already own in some HD-DVD format (Lord of the Rings trilogy and the Star Wars movies). I doubt that I will worry about rebuying anything else in my 300+ DVD collection. I would think that most people would do the same and only get a couple of duplicates. It isn't like the HD players can't play DVDs so I am not sure where the assumption comes in that people are going to switch out all of their DVDs...

Yeah, that's a pretty stupid idea, but I've already replaced several of my DVDs. Probably 1/3 of all of the HD discs I've bought are re-buys. I don't know why I'm bragging about this.

CV #173223 08/21/07 04:19 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Quote:

Yeah, that's a pretty stupid idea, but I've already replaced several of my DVDs. Probably 1/3 of all of the HD discs I've bought are re-buys. I don't know why I'm bragging about this.

You silly, silly guy...

Farewell - June 4, 2020
nickbuol #173224 08/21/07 04:25 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
I'm going to agree with Ken; White and Nerdy is Al's best work.

On the topic at hand (OMG!), for me, to some extent it depends upon the depth of market adoption. I simply don't "re-watch" enough movies to warrant the capital cost of a HD/BR player AND purchase of the content. If the content becomes widely available (through rental, Netflix, etc.), that makes ALL the difference to me.

Regarding Nick's experience, I do wonder whether the difference would have been as profound on a smaller screen.

Of course, I need a HD display first.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
nickbuol #173225 08/21/07 04:35 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Quote:

I SO much wanted to get on the HD bandwagon after that.

Nick, Welcome to the dark side
I joined Netflix just to have the option of renting either verion of HD movies instead of purchasing them. The only HD or Blu-ray movies I buy now are ones that I know I'll watch over again and showcase for friends. Besides picture quality, what is many times overlooked is the superior sound quality of TruHD and PCM that HD movies provide.
Imho, life is to short to worry about the format war, I'm loving what both formats have to offer now.
If you do decide to make the jump, I would really look into a player that has Reon processing, the difference compared to my old upscaling player (Denon 3910) was like night and day, so much so that I'm watching many of my standard DVD's over again because of the picture quality of the upscaling.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
HomeDad #173226 08/21/07 04:42 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I go old school on the Weird Al. Stuff like "That Boy Could Dance" and "Theme from Rocky 13". I had a bunch of his albums back in the 80's. I still tend to like those best, since that is what I grew up with. "Yoda" is of course popular with the star wars crowd as well. I went to a concert of his once years ago, and it was a good show. I've never seen someone change outfits so many times during a show.

Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters