Rate Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Newbie HT Purchase - Advice Appreciated
Ajax #173573 08/02/07 09:00 PM
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
Hi Ajax,

Thanks for the info. Hey, could you tell me what set up you have?

Bottom line: I want what you guy's have. If I have to piece-meal it or work up to it through "upgradeinitis", so be it. But I know this: You, Tom, Rick, Mojo and the rest of the gang that have responded, are very informed on the industry, and for me personally, it says a lot about Axiom, that you're posting here, and paying attention to one of a thousand Noobie threads about which HT system to buy, means that you're not only knowledgeable about speakers, but are passionate about it too.

I'd like to look back and say, "Remember when I was buying my first system with you guys?!" I'm a forum kinda of guy, and it means a lot to see your devotion to Axiom.

...So...anyway, get the M60's and HSU sub to start? Build on that with QS8's, V150's, etc., Stick with Axiom and build a sweet system that thousands know to be good? Or go with another brand, save a buck or three, be in ingnorant bliss?

Regarding the HSU sub...I'm looking at it based on recommendation only... the EP500 looks mighty nice to me, but spendy. I'd like to stick to 1 brand, I think conceptually, there's a synergy there because the engineers are like-minded with a single brand, but sub-wise, I don't know if it matters...

Anyhoo, thanks for all the advice guys...remember, I'm Christmas shopping and have some time left until the funds are ready.

Ajax #173574 08/02/07 09:04 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Quote:

I've heard the x-mtms at an av123 get together at the end of June

Well, I stand corrected I guess I meant "nobody credible" You know I'm kidding, Jack. They're not even taking orders for the x-statik, are they?

And I agree with you about the quality of speakers, to a point. MY PERCEPTION is that the differences become much more pronounced in larger rooms and at higher volumes. Since Funkfuzz has ~4,000 cubic feet to fill, I don't think that even a high quality SMALLER speaker is going to be as effective as a bigger box. I guess what I'm trying to say is, all other things being equal, size matters.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
tomtuttle #173575 08/02/07 09:16 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Funk (may I call you "Funk"? ), if you'll click on my screen name, you'll find my equipment listed in my profile.

Quote:

Well, I stand corrected I guess I meant "nobody credible" You know I'm kidding, Jack.

LOL! Actually, you were right in the first place.

Quote:

They're not even taking orders for the x-statik, are they?

Certainly not officially. They operate in a very informal manner. I'd be surprised if there isn't a list of those who want them and have called and asked to be put on that list. Don't know for certain though.

Quote:

And I agree with you about the quality of speakers, to a point. MY PERCEPTION is that the differences become much more pronounced in larger rooms and at higher volumes. Since Funkfuzz has ~4,000 cubic feet to fill, I don't think that even a high quality SMALLER speaker is going to be as effective as a bigger box. I guess what I'm trying to say is, all other things being equal, size matters.

No argument whatsoever.

Quote:

Regarding the HSU sub...I'm looking at it based on recommendation only... the EP500 looks mighty nice to me, but spendy.

Funk, the 500 justifies it's "spendy" qualities by having the DSP technology which renders it pretty close to bulletproof and provides a reasonably linear frequency response, not counting room interaction. (Of course, being a happy EP500 owner, I'm just a tad biased ). However, there is no denying that the HSUs provide a heck of a bang for the buck.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
funkfuzz #173576 08/02/07 09:18 PM
W
Wid Offline
axiomite
axiomite
W
Quote:

Regarding the HSU sub...I'm looking at it based on recommendation only... the EP500 looks mighty nice to me, but spendy. I'd like to stick to 1 brand, I think conceptually, there's a synergy there because the engineers are like-minded with a single brand, but sub-wise, I don't know if it matters...

There is no real need to stay within one single brand when it come to a sub. The Hsu VTF 3 is on par (from what I have read) with the EP 500.

Rick

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

Ajax #173577 08/02/07 09:33 PM
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
@Ajax -
Quote:

Funk (may I call you "Funk"? ), if you'll click on my screen name, you'll find my equipment listed in my profile.
Quote:

You can call me Funk, because the Funk liveth within me...

aahhh... anyway...yeah, so, I checked your specs and you're a Rocketman Elton style. What should I gather from that?! Should I be eying Rockets instead of M60 and M80's?

I just want a killer setup, it's really that simple, except I have to step thru the purchase process, can't get it all at once. I think I'm on the right track with the M60/sub combo. Am I?

funkfuzz #173578 08/02/07 09:42 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Seriously?

Just buy the M60/EP500 combo and be done with it!!! (I love spending other peoples money!!) In all seriousness, that way you'll have all the same finish on all your speakers and you will have one KILLER setup. from what I have seen, the only sub that HSU carries that compares to the EP500 is the VTF-HO...and with shipping, it comes to about $100 less than the EP500...is $100 all that much of a difference? I don't think so, its worth it for the DSP technology and having the same finish IMHO.

If you order these 3 items thru the factory outlet, make sure to add 2 more items (some small cheap couplers or something) to get your 5% off for ordering 5 items.

Last edited by Hutzal; 08/02/07 09:43 PM.

Producer | Composer
www.robbhutzal.com
funkfuzz #173579 08/02/07 09:43 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Never give up the funk.

If you're near Concord, you might be able to get a listen from MarkSJohnson.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
funkfuzz #173580 08/02/07 09:48 PM
shareholder in the making
Funk-
One more point re: subs is that some also prefer to stay within one brand because the finishes match. I know that in my case, that was a reasonably important factor as I didn't want a mismatched or "black box" sub....

Past that, everyone else is right about everything else all the time. Just ask my wife!

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
tomtuttle #173581 08/02/07 09:49 PM
Hey Funk-
Yes, I hadn't noticed that you're pretty local. PM me if you'd like!

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
Hutzal #173582 08/02/07 10:07 PM
W
Wid Offline
axiomite
axiomite
W

If one were to look on AVS at Craigsubs list of subs both the VTF 3HO and the VTF 3 come in ahead of the EP 500.

Rick

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters