Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
EP500 vs SVS vs ?
#173598 08/02/07 03:21 AM
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
I'm looking at picking up a subwoofer with my system and was wondering just how well the EP500 is compared to other subs out there? I'm looking at spending about $1500 on a Sub.

Room Size: 20L x 14W x 8H
Receiver: Yamaha RX-V2200 (6 x 100w)

Receiver: Yamaha RX-V2200
Main: Axiom m80
CC: Axiom VP150
Surround: Axiom QS8
Sub: SVS PC13-Ultra
Re: EP500 vs SVS vs ?
alexadams77 #173599 08/02/07 06:43 AM
M
shareholder in the making
M
I have the 600 and I can give you my impressions on that. Apparently the 500 is very similar with a slightly shallower bottom end and less power. Given your room size, power on the 500 is a non-issue. My room is a similar size to yours and I have a large opening by the staircase leading to the upper level.

I can describe my 600 as VERY powerful. I have it turned up very little and have LOTS of headroom. You will never have to worry about damaging it by over-driving it. I have tried to "kill it" by playing the truly torturous Plastikman:Closer CD at maximum volume and could not. But at the ridiculously loud levels and sub-20 Hz that this CD was pumping out I could definitely hear the distortion and the sub was very localizable. This test of course was nothing more than to satisfy my own curiousity and does not represent any practical listening scenario.

This is a home theatre as well as musical sub. During movies, your entire house will be shaking and you'll still have lots of room on your volume control. For music, you will be very satisfied if you like your bass smooth, transparent and enveloping. The sub blends in beautifully with the other speakers and it does not mask the rest of the music. It plays transients but can also maintain a sustained note when it's called to do so.

What this sub has not been able to give me thus far (and I'm not done tweaking and experimenting) is the realism in percussive sounds. I've come to understand that a sub should hit you in the chest as well as the bowels. The 600 delivers on the bowels part...that's the low and transparent sound that I referred to above. But the chest part is lacking. What's missing is the rise time associated with the sound of the drumstick hitting the drumskin or the fingers releasing a string. It's the slap, thwack and ping that's missing. These are not deep sounds that I am referring to. They are higher frequencies that this sub is not able to produce because it has a steep filter above 100Hz. My M80s can somewhat compensate for this but they have to be turned up very loud and this is not something that I personally enjoy due to my extremely sensitive ears.

The other thing that I can tell you is that a lot of thought has been put into the driver. It's very heavy due to a very large magnet. The voice coil is cooled by conduction, radiation and forced convenction via a large hole through the centre of the coil but also through four smaller holes on the outside circumference (see picture). When the driver rarefacts it sucks cool air into the coil and when it compresses it pushes hot air out of the coil. This is very important because proper cooling minimizes driver compression and preserves the original design parameters of the coil. The spider is very well constructed and the cone, being made of aluminum, is very stiff to prevent distortion. It also has dual voice coils connected in parallel for maximum current delivery out of its amp. And the amp runs very cool which should make the electronics reliable. The basket is made out of a composite material so that it won't resonate. And the surround rubber is extremely durable. I expect my 600 to last a very long time due to its excellent construction.

You may also want to look at Illka's sub test site before you make your decision.

alexadams77 #173600 08/03/07 03:02 AM
I've owned a 350, 500, and currently a 600. Have been very happy with all of them. The 500 and 600 are outstanding, especially in my larger basement. If you want all of your speakers to have the same finish, I'd stick with Axiom.

M80s VP180 4xM22ow 4xM3ic EP600 2xEP350
AnthemAVM60 Outlaw7700 EmoA500 Epson5040UB FluanceRT85

SirQuack #173601 08/03/07 11:12 AM
veteran
veteran
Good job on the Plastikman reference. I didn't think that anyone on this forum listened to that type of stuff.

Give Amon Tobin a try for some really low stuff.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044