Page 13 of 15 1 2 11 12 13 14 15
Re: Speakers and Equipment-both make a difference
tomtuttle #174621 08/16/07 08:31 PM
T
old hand
old hand
T
Thanks Tom!

Think I'll commune my derier to my HT listening chair, join you in a cold one and enjoy listening to my great theater audio that may really be, not so great, hehe!

At least, that is what I heard...

Ignorance Is Bliss!

Ted

Samsung 67" DLP 1080P * 2-Axiom EP500 PSW's * Emotiva UT Series Amps * Acoutimass 15's 5.1 = WOW!
Theo #174622 08/16/07 09:36 PM
shareholder in the making
Quote:

Ah, but there's the rub! The notion of "Accuracy" inherently inserts Science as the arbiter of satisfaction. On a pretty basic level, I'm not yet ready to subscribe to the Church of Science. Now, before I'm impaled with forceps or ignited on a bunson burner (or whatever fate befalls "Faithists"), let me digress just a little.

Isn't it true that what we know as "Modern Science" has only been around for a fraction of human existence? Isn't it also true that there continue to be new scientific discoveries? How can we then reasonably assert that we are able to measure everything that we "know" or even know that it needs measuring?

I think in a lot of ways, this is the power of science: being proven wrong is an acceptable, even necessary part of it. That's why it's not faith; it's science.

Many people point to disproven hypotheses as evidence that science is no good. But that's far from the truth; it's a necessary part of good, correct scientific investigation to be open to the idea that a hypothesis (not the same as a theory), or even a theory, is wrong. Now, hypotheses generally get promoted to theories when sufficient evidence (lab results, mathematical proofs, observational results, etc) is accumulated. The same occurs with laws, although I think that's probably becoming less of an accepted term; we know that Newton's laws are incorrect at the extremes (very small, very fast, very large).

There's also gabbling about the term "theory." Oh, the "Theory of Gravity," the saying goes... But in science, a theory means a lot more than it does in common usage. It means that it's been tested (independently) by multiple organizations/people/labs/whatever and found to be a correct descriptor of what is observed.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
Ken.C #174623 08/16/07 09:58 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
OK.

I'm still just gonna go drink beer with Ted.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
tomtuttle #174624 08/16/07 10:28 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I like your style, Mr. Tuttle. I'll have a cold one for you if you ever make it down to Newport Beach, California.

Enjoy the Music. Trust your ears. Laugh at Folks Who Claim to Know it All.
2x6spds #174625 08/16/07 11:13 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Much obliged, 2x6. It's a deal.

tomtuttle #174626 08/16/07 11:50 PM
old hand
old hand
Tom,
I'm not trying to convince them that they are not having fun, I've just offered up some evidence that supports my belief that amplifiers do not colour sound. It's a very simple electronic process of amplifying what the source sends. Having said that, you'll notice that my music system consists of a tube amp driving a pair of M3s. The purchase was partially nostalgic, but mostly done because the music just seems to sound better while sipping on a 15 year old Macallan, room lighting off, and stairing at the pretty orange glow of the tubes. I A/B'd the tube amp vs a little NAD amplifier and found there was no difference in sound at normal listening levels, in my home, with my speakers. My Engineering mind, however, conceded that I liked the 'emotion' of using the tube amp, so I spent a few extra hundred dollars on it, even thought I know the sound is no better then a much cheaper solid state amp.

el_giovato #174627 08/16/07 11:52 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
15 year old Macallan and tubes. Sweet

I know what you mean. I just, well, I ran out of popcorn and jumped in.

tomtuttle #174628 08/17/07 12:09 AM
old hand
old hand
Hey, it's the first time in 6 months I post. I've never been very active here, and needed a break from work so decided to join in. I was hoping some would find the information I posted of value. A visit to the Axiom factory a couple of years ago solidified my views on electronics. The listnening room they use to test and tweak their speakers consisted of a massive old Bryston amp that looked like it had seen a few parties, an old 5 disc Kenwood CD player, and an equally old (Kenwood again?) receiver for the pre/pro. I can often visualise the look of pride on Ian and Joe's faces while listening to their speakers play wonderful music driven by that ratty old front end.

el_giovato #174629 08/17/07 12:29 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Quote:

Tom,
I'm not trying to convince them that they are not having fun, I've just offered up some evidence that supports my belief that amplifiers do not colour sound. It's a very simple electronic process of amplifying what the source sends. Having said that, you'll notice that my music system consists of a tube amp driving a pair of M3s. The purchase was partially nostalgic, but mostly done because the music just seems to sound better while sipping on a 15 year old Macallan, room lighting off, and stairing at the pretty orange glow of the tubes. I A/B'd the tube amp vs a little NAD amplifier and found there was no difference in sound at normal listening levels, in my home, with my speakers. My Engineering mind, however, conceded that I liked the 'emotion' of using the tube amp, so I spent a few extra hundred dollars on it, even thought I know the sound is no better then a much cheaper solid state amp.

Well, if you couldn't hear the difference between the NAD and your tube amp, I'd say you're sipping the wrong single malt. Try a 10 year old Laphroaig. Tastes like it was aged in an old inner tube and so is, of course, the perfect match with a tube amp.

BTW, the M3s with a tube amp is IMO a perfect match. Which tube amp did you get?

Enjoy the Music. Trust your ears. Laugh at Folks Who Claim to Know it All.
2x6spds #174630 08/17/07 12:30 AM
So basically you're saying he can't trust his ears.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
Page 13 of 15 1 2 11 12 13 14 15

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters