Page 1 of 2 1 2
My visit with JP
#174764 08/16/07 09:19 PM
T
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
T
As JP previously reported, the Tuttles and the Medic8rs got together for a few days of fun in Oregon. We had a great time.

JP, Gail and Nolan are gracious, friendly and smart. We were extremely blessed to share some fun with them, and I would gratefully have them as companions any time.

Now, I need to clear something up right away. There has been rampant, lukewarm speculation as to what "JP" actually stands for, if anything. I’m here to tell you that – while partaking of delicious IPA’s, Stouts and Barleywines, JP finally divulged the secret to me.

The JP doesn’t stand for anything. Despite his rich Southern upbringing, his parents named him after beloved Northwest children’s television icon JP Patches, to whom I think you’ll agree he bears a striking resemblance.

Now, I know many of you – and even JP – will dispute the veracity of this claim. There is an additional piece of compelling evidence. The JP in JP Patches actually stands for "Julius Pierpont". Well, our Medic8r’s ensuing education brought him the honorable title of "Doctor", making him, effectively, Dr. J.

Now most of you already know that the NBA hall-of-fame Dr. J’s real first name IS JULIUS. Coincidence? I don’t think so.

Despite this airtight explanation, some of you may very well submit that a common "J name" like John is far more likely. This is obviously impossible, as that would have made medic8r Dr. John.

Now, despite the (again) eerie resemblance, I must point out that this wonderful jazz musician’s REAL name is Mac Rebennack. Hence, he cannot be JP. Simple logic.

Now that I’ve blown the lid off the mystery of our staff shrink’s enigmatic nom de plume, I can divulge my important learnings from our trip together.

• It’s fun to meet new friends. God put us here for each other.
  • Gail and JP met while she was conducting psychological testing. Feel free to speculate.
  • Don’t under-dose
  • It’s more fun to go to the zoo with a two-year-old
  • Treasure your friends
  • On the beach, you have to work too hard to bury a 10 year old boy deep enough to matter.
  • The Ocean is spiritually rejuvenating.
  • Kids generally like each other

• Beer is good food.
  • Killed by Pirates is Good.
  • My wife remains a truly gifted card player
  • Go ahead and put some sunscreen on your feet.
  • No matter how hard you try, it is impossible to look like a cool gangsta when you’re sitting on a cement hippopotamus.

Here are some places we had fun:

The Oregon Zoo in Portland. If you ever need a stuffed animal of something obscure, they probably have it. Only place I've ever seen a Naked Mole Rat plush.

Henry’s 12th Street Tavern. 100 beers on draught, good food, downtown Portland, historic building. THAT'S what I'm talking about!

The Tillamook Cheese Factory tour. Wherein they give you samples of tasty cheese (REALLY good aged white cheddar) and you buy ice cream. They have 50 million pounds of cheese on site capacity.

Pelican Brewpub. On the beach in Pacific City, adjacent to Cape Kiwanda state park. Could be the best IPA in the world. Seriously. All you Dogfish Headophiles just simmer down, now.

McMenamins. The one in Lincoln City isn't as spectacular as others in the empire, but that is some good food and beer. Go.

JP, there are a couple things I forgot to mention that I wanted to make sure you knew. First, I own other clothes besides T-shirts and shorts; I just didn’t feel like dressing up for you. Second, Budweiser contains loads of rice (adjuncts) and will rot your brain. Life is too short for bad beer.

I’m proposing an Axiom gathering on the Oregon coast next August. Anybody in?

Thanks again to JP and family for sharing this time with us.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
Re: My visit with JP
tomtuttle #174765 08/16/07 09:23 PM
shareholder in the making
I'm in. That would be fantastic, and close enough to drive. Although driving with a 1 year old might be ... challenging.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
tomtuttle #174766 08/16/07 10:49 PM
axiomite
axiomite
And I thought your post in that other thread was fantastic. Silly me. Well, actually, it was fantastic, but this one is even more fantastic.

Although you failed to tell us who is who, since I've seen a photo of you, I know you are the gentleman on the left of the photo. Therefore, JP must be the gentleman on the right. I'm guessing the lady in front of him is Mrs. JP, and since she's holding the infant, that must be a little JP. That means the lady next to you is the lovely Mrs. Tuttle, who is behind Miss and Master Tuttle (Boy, have they grown ).

I love the idea of an Axiom GTG on the Oregon coast. I do not know if circumstances would allow me to attend, but I would do everything in my power to make it. I just happen to have a niece who lives in Portland.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
Ajax #174767 08/16/07 11:24 PM
T
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
T
Well, with a year to plan, we might actually get "something" as opposed to "nothing"

Quote:

I just happen to have a niece who lives in Portland

Well, there you go!

Yes, Jack, you have correctly identified the players (without a scorecard, no less!). Roughly L-R are me, Emily, Julie, Alex, Gail, Nolan and JP. We keep feeding the children and allowing them to sleep, so the consequences are fairly inevitable.

I really liked the looks of The Inn at Cape Kiwanda in Pacific City. There's not much commerce there, except that it is right across the street from the beach and the aforementioned Pelican brewpub. Since all I really want is beer/book/beach/balmy, I might be satisfied without strip malls.

tomtuttle #174768 08/16/07 11:28 PM
R
connoisseur
connoisseur
R
I continue to be astonished at the way this hobby and this forum help to forge friendships and personal contact that invariably turn out to be positive.

Great stuff and I'm glad you guys had a good time.

Tom - as an aside; that's the way my hair looked before I went bald.

Ray3 #174769 08/17/07 12:51 AM
M
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
Tom's going bald? Oh.... never mind. I just thought that part of the photo was over-exposed.

michael_d #174770 08/17/07 01:17 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Mike and Ray--you guys are harsh!

Tom, thanks for the wonderful pics and descriptions. It sounds like you guys had a fantastic time.

I am all for an Oregon get together. Count me in! What a great excuse for a road trip and to meet excellent people.

"Nothin' up my sleeve. . ." --Bullwinkle J. Moose
St_PatGuy #174771 08/17/07 02:24 AM
T
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
T
I long ago accepted my follicular fate. No worries

Baldness is, after all, simply a sign of too much testosterone.

Sean, did you move? I LOVE to say "Rancho Cucamonga!"

We did have a great time. And don't believe Julius if he tells you otherwise.

tomtuttle #174772 08/17/07 03:22 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Yes, I moved on August 1st. Went from an apartment to renting a room in a house. So far, I love it.

Really, I just moved so I could have a better excuse to say Rancho Cucamonga, too!

"Nothin' up my sleeve. . ." --Bullwinkle J. Moose
tomtuttle #174773 08/17/07 03:41 AM
Random thoughts:

I am sincerely jealous.

I love you guys almost as much as Oregon, the "don't touch the gas pump" state.

All three of those kids are much bigger than when I last saw them in person.

This post makes me feel happy.

I will cry (inside) if there's another get together that I cannot attend.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,479
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters