Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: It just doen't sound right
jakewash #179436 10/18/07 11:52 AM
axiomite
axiomite
I did mention that he should experiment setting his surrounds to small but since I did it without scaring him to death, maybe nobody noticed. heh heh ;\)

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
jakewash #179449 10/18/07 02:02 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
 Originally Posted By: jakewash
 Originally Posted By: Hutzal
I was going to say that he has no sub...so he midaswell run them as large for now...
Another golden typo?

actually the phrase "midas well" is correct grammar. I spelt it wrong to avoid more jokes at my expense...look it up!! its correct!

Producer | Composer
www.robbhutzal.com
Hutzal #179459 10/18/07 03:36 PM
S
hobbyist
OP Offline
hobbyist
S
I tried setting the surounds and center channel to small, and I do hear a difference. It is better, meaning not as conjested, but still not quite right. There are still alot of overemphasized "s" sounds. I still haven't got a pic to see placement. sorry. I'll try to get it soon. I'll tweak it some more and see if I can get some improvement. Does anyone know if Axiom speakers have a break-in period? I haven't had them long.

SoundMan #179462 10/18/07 04:13 PM
J
veteran
veteran
J
 Originally Posted By: SoundMan
I tried setting the surounds and center channel to small, and I do hear a difference. It is better, meaning not as conjested, but still not quite right. There are still alot of overemphasized "s" sounds. I still haven't got a pic to see placement. sorry. I'll try to get it soon. I'll tweak it some more and see if I can get some improvement. Does anyone know if Axiom speakers have a break-in period? I haven't had them long.

I notice these overempasized "s" sounds as well. I've read through the forums and have done my own tests. It seems the Axioms reproduce this "sssss" accurately from the source. Turning down the Treble helped.

Also if you have a Re-Eq setting on your reciever turn it ON and that (if your reciever supports THX) helps ALOT! According to some forum contributors the reason for this is the sound was meant for huge movie theators etc and not for a living room or HT.

HG Cherry M80's, QS8's, VP150, and a pair of EP500's
Hutzal #179463 10/18/07 04:18 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
 Originally Posted By: jakewash
I was going to say that he has no sub...so he midaswell run them as large for now...
Another golden typo?

actually the phrase "midas well" is correct grammar. I spelt it wrong to avoid more jokes at my expense...look it up!! its correct!

I don't think so.

And "its correct" most certainly isn't.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
jbsengineer #179464 10/18/07 04:19 PM
S
hobbyist
OP Offline
hobbyist
S
 Originally Posted By: jbsengineer
 Originally Posted By: SoundMan

I notice these overempasized "s" sounds as well. I've read through the forums and have done my own tests. It seems the Axioms reproduce this "sssss" accurately from the source. Turning down the Treble helped.

Also if you have a Re-Eq setting on your reciever turn it ON and that (if your reciever supports THX) helps ALOT! According to some forum contributors the reason for this is the sound was meant for huge movie theators etc and not for a living room or HT.

I've heard others say the same thing about the "s" sounds. How much should I turn down the trebble? I know this may not be an exact science since I don't think my processor has the re-eq setting. If I had a good starting point, I could experiment with the trebble.

jbsengineer #179465 10/18/07 04:20 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Re-Eq is also known as "Cinema Equalization" on some receivers. It can turn an unplaisant experience into a smooth one with some movies.

See Mojo's signature
SoundMan #179466 10/18/07 04:26 PM
J
veteran
veteran
J
Not sure. I will adjust until it sounds a little smoother. Sometimes it could become distracting to the point where I didn't understand what people were saying if they were talking fast. Re-Eq helps and Treb adjustments assisted as well.

Also its rare that I hear this during music with vocals. It's movies with isolated conversations.

Edit: When I listened carefully at lower volumes the "sss" was still there. Just hiding behind less amplication.

HG Cherry M80's, QS8's, VP150, and a pair of EP500's
jbsengineer #179476 10/18/07 05:05 PM
S
hobbyist
OP Offline
hobbyist
S
 Originally Posted By: jbsengineer
Not sure. I will adjust until it sounds a little smoother. Sometimes it could become distracting to the point where I didn't understand what people were saying if they were talking fast. Re-Eq helps and Treb adjustments assisted as well.

Also its rare that I hear this during music with vocals. It's movies with isolated conversations.

Edit: When I listened carefully at lower volumes the "sss" was still there. Just hiding behind less amplication.

Could it be that the music recordings were just recorded at a higher quality, and the DVD transfer was not as good? I'll try playing with the trebble, but was wondering if this method will effect how music sounds? Also, I haven't heard anyone talk about a break-in period for theses speakers. Was wondering if that could contribute to it since these speakers are still very new.

SoundMan #179480 10/18/07 05:12 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
This only affect movies. You have to change settings when you change type of materials. TV shows should also not present the same problem. And some DVDs are re-mixed for home viewing. So there is no "magic settings" and why it is nice to have a "re-eq" or "cinema-eq" button on the receiver's remote!

See Mojo's signature
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020