Page 1 of 2 1 2
California WIld Fires
#180195 10/23/07 06:10 PM
T
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
T
Just thought I'd share my concern about our friends and families whose lives and homes are being threatened in Southern California.

Sometime-board-member lomb7 and also my sister have had to evacuate in San Diego County. I'm trusting/hoping that Sean, Bigwill, Craig and others are "only" being impacted by smoke and traffic so far.

Anyway, sharing this with my Axiom friends is part of what I am doing to cope/help in that spiritual/karmic kind of way. This is a horrific event, and since I believe in our connectedness, I wanted to raise awareness just a blip.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
Re: California WIld Fires
tomtuttle #180198 10/23/07 06:22 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
We are all following those terrible events. Hope the casualties will remain as low as possible. Our thoughts will be with you, your family and all the people in that whole area.

See Mojo's signature
EFalardeau #180206 10/23/07 06:51 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
I'm thinking and praying for everyone out west daily, unbelievable what is going on out there. One of my best friends at work is married to a gal whos family originally came from Mexico, but now lives in San Diego. There are 13 in the same house, yes 13. \:\)

Sounds like they may be evacuated, but don't have anywhere to go, so my fried is trying to find motels to put them in, that is a difficult task as most motels in safe zones are all taken.

M80s VP180 4xM22ow 4xM3ic EP600 2xEP350
AnthemAVM60 Outlaw7700 EmoA500 Epson5040UB FluanceRT85

SirQuack #180210 10/23/07 07:45 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Thanks for the concern everyone, it appears we now have 16 major fires going on or just getting contained. My wife just e-mailed me this link California Fires
We have been planning a weekend trip to Legoland in San Diego for several months and are supposed to leave Fri. morning. The kids are so excited I guess even if I have to detour an additional 200 miles we are going!
Fortunately the Santa Ana winds that have been raging up near us from 40 to 80 mph for 5 days straight have finally calmed down to around 25 mph. That should help our firefighters to the south with containment of some of these fires that are causing tragedy for so many families.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
HomeDad #180213 10/23/07 07:59 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Thanks for the update on Lomb7. I haven't been in contact with him for some time now. I'm sorry to hear he's been evacuated, but glad to know he's OK.

Just talked to a dear old friend who lives in Topanga, just one ridge away from the Malibu fires. He's been lucky so far. He can see the smoke, but the winds seem to be keeping both the smoke and the fire away from him. His wife evacuated their horses, however. A terrible time for all involved. Based on what he's been hearing, he believes one more day should see them "out of the woods," so to speak.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
Ajax #180217 10/23/07 08:19 PM
T
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
T
Michael, I'm SO glad to hear you and your family are okay.

I'm not sure I'd brave the trip to Carlsbad this weekend.

Jack, I wasn't actually able to get in contact with lomb7; I know his home is in the heart of a mandatory evacuation area. He lives only a few miles from my sister, who has had to relocate twice now from Escondido, finally landing all the way up on Lake Elsinore today.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
tomtuttle #180259 10/23/07 11:53 PM
axiomite
axiomite
As a former S.E.A.T pilot I know too well how these fires can affect a huge number of folks, I'm wishing the best for you and also wishing for the safe return of all the firefighters involved.

Rick
Our Room

smile
tomtuttle #180269 10/24/07 12:45 AM
axiomite
axiomite
I hope everyone is okay down in San Diego. I just got home and have been catching what I can on TV. By far they are getting the worst of the fires.

It was a surreal drive to work this morning. Wish I had my camera to take pics. Everywhere I looked at the horizon there was a haze of ash and smoke. Right above us, though, was clear blue skies due to the last gusts of the Santa Anas. I'm about two hours north of San Diego, but there have been enough blazes scattered throughout the southland to affect almost everyone. My eyes have been burning since yesterday afternoon, and there is no escaping the smell of smoke. Now that the winds have stopped smoke and ash are starting to settle. Flecks of ash are everywhere. I imagine the ash will get worse. I've seen it before act like snow years ago when my local mountains burned.

I watch the news in relative safety but am stunned by the images. I'm in between San Diego and Malibu, but far enough away to not be in any immediate danger. One look outside, though, and there is no escaping the aftermath of the devastation.

Tom, and everyone else, thanks for thinking of us Californians. I, too, would like to send my support for all those affected in San Diego and anywhere else who have been touched by the fire.

"Nothin' up my sleeve. . ." --Bullwinkle J. Moose
St_PatGuy #180271 10/24/07 12:59 AM
W
Wid Offline
axiomite
axiomite
W

My thoughts are with you all out west. Be careful and take care, God bless.

Rick

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

St_PatGuy #180274 10/24/07 01:06 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I just received a call that my Aunt has evacuated her home in Big Bear. I'm hoping this situation gets better for all involved and the weather starts helping out.
I'm going to take Tom's advice and wait until the end of the week to determine if there is still a risk in heading to Carlsbad, not only because of the fires but also the air quality. It may cause a little grief with the kids who have been counting the days, but nothing is worth risking their health or safety.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,475
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
2 members (Kodiak, Hambrabi), 742 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup