Rate Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Need help...please speak slowly
#18040 09/03/03 07:40 PM
T
local
local
T
Just my personal opinion, but I would never buy a linksys wireless access point/router again.

Whenever we used our old cordless phone, it lost connection to the network. So we got a new cordless phone. About a month later, it started again. Changing the channel on the phone did not help. There were not your cheap $20 phones, but pretty nice cordless phones.

Just my 2 cents worth here. Check out the forums at www.fatwallet (dot) com (not sure if they kill links here or not). They post good deals on wirelss routers all the time. I think there is a great deal on a D-Link now.

#18041 09/03/03 08:54 PM
pmbuko Offline OP
shareholder in the making
OP Offline
That's why I'm sticking with my 900Mhz cordless phones. No chance of interference.

I've had good luck with the D-link brand in general. They have a very large range of wireless offerings, too.

#18042 09/03/03 11:09 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I use the D-Link at home, too. So far, no problems whatsoever for over 2 years.

I have another question for you guys IT gurus. This has nothing directly to do with Wi-Fi, but rather a question about home-network NAT routers in general. I think, with Port 113 (auth/ident) on the router set to "stealth," you can read but cannot post to many forum message boards (e.g. AVSforum). I currently set Port 113 to "closed" on my router, which has resolved all previous problems.

Am I doing something dumb or dangerous?

#18043 09/03/03 11:46 PM
old hand
old hand
Naw - what you did was fine.

Not many services really use ident anymore... and having port 113 set to "stealth" means that when someone tries to talk to you over that port, it gets no response. So whatever is trying to talk to port 113 will usually just keep waiting for a response... most will timeout, but it may be a while.

Setting it to "closed" makes your firewall say right away "rejected" and whatever was trying to connect will usually just go on with it's business, since it actually did get a response.

Hope that helped.

#18044 09/03/03 11:53 PM
pmbuko Offline OP
OP Offline
Not dumb or dangerous, in my opinion, unless you were running in full stealth mode to begin with.

Stealth really only works if ALL your ports are operating in that mode. If you're running in full stealth mode your network is invisible to all pings and port probes and it will appear to a hacker that there is nothing there. If you have a bunch of stealth ports and a single "closed" port, a port probe directed at you will reveal that there's something alive there, potentially blowing the cover off all the stealth ports.

#18045 09/04/03 08:17 PM
veteran
veteran
I suggest getting a Linksys wireless access point/router. Having one myself I find it very configurable. I use Cisco access points at work but the multitude of options are unnecessary for home use. The Linksys does what you need it to and at a reasonable price. Try to go with the "G" standard it allows higher throughputs and is downward compatible to "B" devices. Just be careful of wireless phones or microwave ovens nearby as they will interfere with the 2.4 ghz wavelength they use. Just use common sense when configuring it to not broadcast SSID is the #1 mistake I've seen. Adding 128bit WEP is a very good safeguard. You should be able to get good flexibility with one of these access points as they also contain a 4 port switch if you wish to go CAT5/6 later.

Re: Ain't WiFi great?
#18046 09/04/03 08:52 PM
It turns out that he wanted to have the wireless users VPN in through the DMZ port to which all the wireless routers would be attached. Now it all makes more sense...

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
#18047 09/04/03 10:42 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
In reply to:

Not dumb or dangerous, in my opinion, unless you were running in full stealth mode to begin with.

That's the problem, Peter! I was running in full stealth, which apparently did not allow me to post on many forums. I could, of course, read everything with no problem; but posting always hung and timed-out. I don't exactly remember whether the Axiom message boards were one of the problematic ones, but I am positive that I couldn't post to the AVSforum.

Could somebody positively confirm that you can post to the AVSforum with a full-stealth setup?

Re: Ain't WiFi great?
#18048 09/05/03 08:30 PM
veteran
veteran
My boss and I were contemplating having the wireless users attach to wireless, but then those accounts would have to be authenticated to an NT box with a domain account. The NT box would then be routed to the appropriate network. The DMZ port idea doesn't sound all that bad, but I would still be leary putting an access point on a DMZ. It might be entered via telnet much easier from outside than it would behind the DMZ. Or even DOS'd from outside the DMZ, depending on the firewall and ruleset used.

#18049 09/05/03 08:33 PM
veteran
veteran
Sushi, some forums require a type of reverse lookup, (not like DNS lookup), which means the IP has to be verified. Stealth mode usually blocks ICMP which is what ping uses. It's easy to test and turn off. Also, blocking the Netbios ports is generally recommended as well.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters