Rate Thread
Subwoofer Question
#1809 02/24/02 12:49 AM
M
MSch Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Hello,

A few months ago I purchased a pair of M3Ti's and I have been pleased with them, Now that I have a little extra money, I am looking to add a subwoofer, I am interested in your EP125 model. The M3Ti's are hooked up to a Denon AVR-1802 Receiver, I have noticed that your subwoofers all feature a 'Line level Input', however I am a little confused as to how the hookup actually works. According to my receiver's specs, it has one analog 'pre-output' marked 'subwoofer'. As I looked at my receiver specs further it also has an analog input under EXT. In' marked 'subwoofer'. I'm a little confused as to how I hookup the subwoofer.

Do I just need to run a cable from my receiver's 'subwoofer pre-out' to the EP125's line in, connection and power everything up? Or do I need to run a cable from the receiver's pre-out connect and it to the subwoofer line level input and also run a cable coming from the subwoofer's line out back to my receiver's analog 'subwoofer' EXT IN.?

Or do I plug my speakers into the EP125 and run a single cable from my Denon's 'subwoofer 'pre-out' to the EP125?

Also please keep in mind that I am buying this subwoofer to mainly enhance two channel stereo audio, that reaches the Denon via a coaxial digital RCA connection, I will watch some DVD movies, but this will any be on a rare occasion, the vast majority of the played back audio will be stereo audio via the coaxial RCA connection.

Two more minor questions, can banana plugs be used to make whatever necessary connections on the back of the subwoofer? And finally what gauge wire would you recommend that I use?

Thank you for any help, that you are able to provide....Answer my questions and my money is as good as yours.

Michael Schlosser

Re: Subwoofer Question
#1810 03/19/02 12:37 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The Denon 1802 has a subwoofer "pre out" that you should use to connect to the EP125 (via one RCA patch cord/interconnect). That's all you need to connect. There will be the proper RCA connection(s) on the EP125. Leave your other speakers connected to your receiver. The external input on the back of the receiver is for a separate discrete 5.1 program input - such as another DVD player that has a DD and/or a DTS encoder built in. That way you could use the decoder of that DVD and not the one built into the Denon.
Do not loop back a connection from the subwoofer to the receiver's ext. input (BAD!)

Hope this helps.

Re: Subwoofer Question
#1811 03/19/02 06:42 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
MSch,

I, too, have a Denon (the 1602) and i had to specify that there was a subwoofer plugged into it. Make sure you read the manual to see how to set up the subwoofer. it will ask you if there is one plugged in, and its distance between it and the front speakers. it's easy, it takes only 2 minutes

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,944
Posts442,472
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044