Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
If Axiom QS4/QS8 surrounds are just tilted...
#181434 11/02/07 03:24 AM
D
DaveB Offline OP
regular
OP Offline
regular
D
Hello all,

I'm just starting my Axiom research on what to buy and thought I'd start with this question...

Will the Axiom QS4/QS8 surrounds speakers still produce the amazing sound if they're just tilted...

I was hoping that I could use the QS4 or QS8 surrounds speakers by placing them on my entertainment unit like a bookshelf speaker but after reading more on the Axiom online product info I understand they cannot sit on a bookshelf and has to be elevated by using the Axiom stands or brackets. But I noticed a couple pictures in some of the forum threads where the QS4 or QS8 surrounds speakers are sitting flat on some boxes. If I can tilt them like an open book holder/easel on an entertainment unit will they still produce the amazing sound everyone talks about?

Thanks for reading...

I appreciate your thoughts and look forward to any advice and suggestions...

Dave

Re: If Axiom QS4/QS8 surrounds are just tilted...
DaveB #181439 11/02/07 03:47 AM
M
shareholder in the making
M
Elevate them using a couple of soup cans.

House of the Rising Sone
Out in the mid or far field
Dedicated mid-woofers are over-rated
Mojo #181443 11/02/07 03:58 AM
Normally, and entertainment center is in front of the listeners, including the tv, etc. The Qs8's should be placed to the side of you 5.1 and rear of you for 7.1.

In either case, you need to allow room for the top and bottom woofers to move air. If you have them enclosed in an entertainment center, or even elevated above a shelf, I'm not sure you will benefit from the full experience. The are best for wall mounting, ceiling mounting, or stands.

M80s VP180 4xM22ow 4xM3ic EP600 2xEP350
AnthemAVM60 Outlaw7700 EmoA500 Epson5040UB FluanceRT85

SirQuack #181456 11/02/07 05:15 AM
D
DaveB Offline OP
regular
OP Offline
regular
D
Thank you both for a quick reply...

The entertainment unit is actually open and just below a 42 inch wall mounted Panasonic Viera plasma...

But maybe the Axiom QS4/QS8 surrounds speakers is not my best option...

Here's my story...

I'm looking for a simple clean look solution with as few wires & speakers as possible and because it's for a condo my concern is how the sound will travel to the adjoining condo units so I have to be cautious on the power but at the same time I want incredible sound without any condo problems... It's an open concept approx. 1,000 sq. ft...

And it must have incredible sound for HD and all types of music etc... \:\)

I'm open to suggestions and ideas...

Dave

Last edited by DaveB; 11/02/07 05:23 AM. Reason: additional info
DaveB #181459 11/02/07 05:40 AM
Dave, welcome. If the entertainment center that you propose placing the QSs on is upfront with the main speakers, that positioning would defeat the entire purpose of surround speakers, which as the name implies is to "surround" you with sound. As Randy(sirquack)pointed out, in a 5.1 setup the surround speakers should be slightly(maybe 2')farther back than directly to the side, to lend a little back effect in the absence of back speakers in a 7.1 setup. They should be directly to the side of the listening position if the setup is 7.1.

Yes, the bottom speaker in the QSs should be raised at least 2" clear of any obstruction to the sound.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

DaveB #181464 11/02/07 08:52 AM
J
J
 Originally Posted By: DaveB

Here's my story...

I'm looking for a simple clean look solution with as few wires & speakers as possible and because it's for a condo my concern is how the sound will travel to the adjoining condo units so I have to be cautious on the power but at the same time I want incredible sound without any condo problems... It's an open concept approx. 1,000 sq. ft...

And it must have incredible sound for HD and all types of music etc... \:\)

Dave

Sounds to me like you are looking for the impossible. To fill 1000 sq.ft. with good sound takes power and it will travel in a condo. Lots of smaller speakers will fill the room nicely but then you no longer have the fewest numbers you are also requesting.

How big is the actual listening area of the HT. That might be a better place to start. 20x16?

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
jakewash #181470 11/02/07 12:00 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I'm still curious. You describe putting these in your entertainment center by your TV. So do you intend these to act like front speakers? In other words are these going to be the only speakers or the main speakers up front in your room?

If either is true, the QS lineup is not the correct choice. They were never designed to be used by themselves or as front/main speakers. You would be much better off getting a pair of bookshelf speakers. They will fit on or in (on is better than jammed inside)your entertainment center better and bookshelves will produce will produce much better music and movie sounds. Not that the QS lineups are not quality speakers, they just were designed to do a specific job and working alone isn't one of them. Might even save some money too, depending on the model.

Even bookshelves might not fill your room well at higher volumes, but if you plan on spending most listening time closer to the speakers and you won't be playing loud, as you say, it shouldn't be a problem.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
Murph #181483 11/02/07 02:10 PM
M
M
Dave,

I assumed you had an entertainment unit behind you that you were using as a bookcase and wanted to put your surround QS8s on that. Now I realize that you want to put surround speakers in front of you. As others have said, you can't do that. You will not get a surround effect since the sound will be localized to the front mostly.

You say you want incredible sound and you don't want it to distract the neighbors. Axiom speakers will give you incredible sound with relatively low volume...they don't need to be turned up to sound real good. I run mine at a half watt when the family is home and I enjoy them very much. And when the neighbors are away or you decide to move to a house in the future, you can be confident that your Axioms have the ability to be driven very loud without losing their sound quality. But, they must be placed properly and that includes surrounds around you and not in front of you.

You may be tempted to look at other multi-function, uni-box products such as the Polk or Yamaha sound bars. These products attempt to simulate sonic cues through a combination of "beaming" sound and time delays to trick your ears into believing they hear surround. The time delay technology is certainly advanced and appropriate but the beaming technology is too room-dependant. It's a great concept but it requires technological advancements in speaker materials in order to sound appropriate. In my opinion, these products should have never been brought to market as they don't deliver what is advertised. I have heard the Yamaha sound bar in what Yamaha describes as an ideal environment (my buddy's place) and let me tell you it is not a solution and I feel sorry for all those that are being swindled. My buddy got defensive and told me that he was very impressed until he came over and watched a movie at my place. Then he realized how many sonic cues he was missing with his "simulated" surround. Perhaps I should have never let him listen to my system because in audio, what you don't know can't hurt you. On the other hand, I can't let him live in a dreamworld. At some point, we all need someone to give us the red pill to expose the truth.

A few wires routed discreetly on the floor or along the ceiling is a small price to pay for yours and your loved ones listening enjoyment. And with the amount of speaker finishes that Axiom has, you should be able to select them so they look like another piece of artwork in your place.

House of the Rising Sone
Mojo #181590 11/02/07 11:22 PM
D
DaveB Offline OP
regular
OP Offline
regular
D
Thank you all for the excellent advice... Axiom definitely has a Great pr sales force in their forums... \:\)

Jason, I was just giving a general overview on the condo sq. footage but you're correct, I should be focusing on the actual listening area which is 18x13. Also because we are on the main floor, laminate on concrete with large windows around overlooking a body of water, sound travels extremely well.

Regarding the entertainment unit and placement of the speakers I was thinking more towards using smaller speakers so when I came across Axiom QS4/QS8 surrounds speakers I thought maybe they can work but I understand the surrounds function and was open to placing them in the best location possible. That's part of the reason I was trying to keep them portable as I first posted.

With all the great advice, maybe I should be considering Axiom's award-winning M22 bookshelf speakers since the actual listening area is pretty simple. Wall mounted plasma on one side of the room above the entertainment unit, some seating on side and a sofa and chair on the other side of the room, again 18x13. The other reason I'm aiming for a smaller looking speaker system is to keep in with the look of the more modern low profile furniture which helps keep the large floor to ceiling patio doors clear to the water view. As long as the speakers are reasonably small, portable placement won't be a problem on a variety of surfaces...

By the way, my last Audio system was a Bang & Olufsen but since it's over 20 years old, technology said it's time for a fresh change...

Any opinions on Axiom vs Bang & Olufsen?

Thanks again for all your help and suggestions...

Dave

DaveB #181593 11/02/07 11:52 PM
M
M
Which B&O speakers or system do you have?

House of the Rising Sone
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616