Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Bi-Amp M80Ti
#1819 02/25/02 07:12 PM
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
If I were to bi--amp my M80Ti, would I get significantly better results using an active crossover, than I would using a Y cable before the apmlifiers? Is there any point to bi-amping without an external crossover? What would the ideal frequency be?

Re: Bi-Amp M80Ti
#1820 02/25/02 07:58 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Typically biamping can lead to sonic gains if all the pieces are of at least good quality.

I am a little confused as to what your connection diagram would look like. If I understand you correctly, you would have:
- source=>preamp=>amp=>external xover=>speaker driver? This would still connect to the drivers binding posts, and go through the internal crossover. External crossovers can be used to feed the drivers directly, but would probably require speaker surgery as I don't think the Axioms will allow direct driver feed.

If however you mean this schema:
-source=>preamp=>external xover=>amp=>speaker driver, you still hit the internal crossover. The amp is working on the frequencies you set at the upstream crossover, which can make an amp under used. This can also void warranties, and sometimes the designer has used the internal crossover to align phase

Sonically, the best method is to connect the amp to the drivers, and use the internal crossover.

Regards,

BBIBH

Re: Bi-Amp M80Ti
#1821 02/27/02 02:52 PM
Ian Offline
President
connoisseur
President
connoisseur
BBIBH is correct and thanks for the response. Further to this: bypassing the internal crossover will change the entire performance of the M80s because the passive crossover does more than just create a division of frequencies, which is all the active crossover could do. The best way to bi-amp your M80s is to go from your pre-amp to each amp and from the amps to each of the binding posts on the M80s. You will need volume controls on each of the amplifiers to balance them. Bi-amping is very expensive way to achieve minimal benefit to your system. Unless you already own the amplifiers or are partial to a low powered amp for use on the top end, I would recommend purchasing one larger amplifier as the best way to improve your system.

Ian Colquhoun
President & Chief Engineer

Ian Colquhoun
President & Chief Engineer

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,939
Posts442,452
Members15,615