Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hardware Connections
#1829 02/26/02 04:28 AM
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Hey there,
I'm a newbie to HT and was wondering about hardware connections. Assuming a TV-to-receiver connection to listen to TV over HT system: is it best to have video connections running straight from players (DVD, VCR) to TV and the audio connections running directly from players to the receiver, or send all signals to the receiver with audio and video out to the TV (or to TV with audio out to receiver)? It seems that direct connects would be most desirable when possible, though routing all connects to either the TV or the receiver and then adding the final connection between the monitor and receiver might be cleaner. Thanks for any thoughts :)

lando
Re: Hardware Connections
#1830 02/27/02 12:47 AM
old hand
old hand
Welcome to Home Theater.

You are correct that the best way to hook up your video sources is straight to your TV. Unfortunately many of us do not have TV's with enough connections on the back. That is where a receivers video switching abilities come into play.

If you are going to use your receiver for video switching, make sure it uses high quality components. Many "less expensive" receivers use inferior video switching components and your picture will be affected.

Surf around for a while on www.hometheaterforum.com and you will have more knowledge on this subject than you ever imagined.

Enjoy!

B_man

#1831 02/27/02 01:23 AM
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
b-man,
Three words about the link you sent.... O My God
I thought my wife would freak about the sites I was already looking at!
Thanks for your comments. I will plan on going from my DVD & VCR players directly to the TV for video, and from all equipment to my receiver for audio to keep things as direct as possible. Have a good one!
Rob

lando
#1832 02/28/02 12:26 AM
old hand
old hand
Glad to help. Enjoy the hobby.

b_man

#1833 02/28/02 10:57 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hello,
Just a few comments here. If you're using composite video or S-video connections, I've not noticed any degradation of the video signal routing it through my receivers as long as you keep the video interconnects of reasonable length (6 feet or less).

I haven't experimented yet with component video connectors (my TV monitor is soon to be replaced; the present one doesn't have component video in) but electrically I should think the same situation with interconnect length would apply.

Alan Lofft
Axiom Resident Expert

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)
#1834 02/28/02 11:46 PM
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Alan,
Thanks for the info (as well as a couple of e-mails you sent me about product inquiries last month). I'm pretty sure that I will go direct to the TV with my players as I have 4 video inputs. I'll route the audio to the receiver when the time comes and go from there. I have component inputs on the TV, but am running S-video for my DVD. I'm extremely pleased with the picture quality, but can't wait until I have the time to get and setup the HT system... audio is the definite weak link in my current situation, and my target system (Epic Master mated with Denon 1802 or Onkyo 595) should bring everything to an awesome level. Take care, and thanks for the opportunity to be a part of the forum!
Rob

lando
#1835 02/28/02 11:59 PM
old hand
old hand
Hi Rob.

Just thought I would pass this information from Onkyousa.com along seeing as you were considering the Onkyo 595.

Onkyo Upgrades Best Selling Receiver With Expanded Surround, HD Component Video Switching, and Improved D/A Converters - 02/15/02

Onkyo has announced the introduction of the TX-SR600 6-channel A/V Receiver to replace the company's popular TX-DS595. The new model adds rear-center surround capability with a sixth amplifier channel, and Dolby Digital EX and DTS-ES decoding. The unit also features sophisticated HDTV capable 50 MHz component video switching, improved digital processing for the left and right speaker channels, an on-screen display, and improved bass management for digital signals.

Many of the latest DVD releases contain Dolby Digital EX and DTS-ES soundtracks, which include a center surround channel for 6.1 surround sound. The TX-SR600 is compatible with these new formats, as well as Dolby Digital and DTS 5.1 encoded titles. The receiver also includes Dolby Pro Logic II processing, which can derive a satisfying multichannel experience from two-channel sources. Because of the importance of the left and right channels in stereo and multichannel operation, these channels now feature 192kHz/24-bit DACs for greater resolution.

The TX-SR600 has 50 MHz component video switching, which allows the high definition video signal to use the receiver's source switching without degrading video quality. This receiver simplifies home theater connections and with its wide array of audio and video inputs and outputs, it is designed to function as the centerpiece for any home theater system. There is even an optical digital output for the addition of an outboard processor or digital-ready recorder. For convenient connection of portable devices, the front panel has composite and S-video inputs, and an optical digital input jack.

The Onkyo TX-SR600's six internal power amplifiers feature high-current, low-impedance discrete output devices, and the receiver is capable of a continuous power output of 110 Watts per channel into a 6 ohm load. Onkyo's WRAT (Wide Range Amplifier Technology) gives the power stage a linear frequency response from 10 Hz to 100 kHz to handle the most demanding audio sources such as SACD and DVD-Audio.

The on-screen display and dot-matrix fluorescent front panel display make setup and operation of the receiver easy and fast. Speaker configuration and distance settings allow for simple optimization of any speaker arrangement. With the new adjustable crossover on the subwoofer pre-out channel, the LFE channel signal can be cutoff at 80, 100, or 120 Hz, depending on the subwoofer used.

The sophisticated digital processing circuitry also includes 13 distinct DSP modes, as well as Onkyo's CinemaFILTER, which corrects for the 'brightness' that soundtracks designed for large theaters often display when played in the home. The unit's preprogrammed/learning remote control makes system programming and integration simple and convenient.

The receiver's high quality AM/FM tuner section has 40 random presets, and FM automatic scan tuning.

The TX-SR600 will be available in April at a suggested retail price of $530.

Onkyo TX-SR600 Specifications

* 80 W/Ch x 6 into 8 ohm (20Hz-20kHz)
* 105 W/Ch x 6 into 6 ohm (20Hz-20kHz)
* All Discrete Power Stage
* All Channel Low-Impedance (6ohm) Capable
* 2 Component-Video Inputs/1 Output
* 5 S-Video Inputs/2 Outputs
* Multi-Channel Input for DVD-Audio
* Pre-Out Terminal for Subwoofer
* 4 Digital Inputs (3 Optical/1Coaxial)
* 1 Digital Output (Optical)
* Front Panel Video, S-Video & Digital Inputs
* Optimum Gain Volume Control
* High-Current, Low-Impedance Drive
* 192 kHz/24-bit DACs for L/R Channels
* 96 kHz/24-bit DACs for All Other Channels
* Solid Aluminum Front Panel
* Dolby Pro Logic II, Dolby Digital EX DTS & DTS-ES Decoders
* 13 DSP Modes
* CinemaFILTER
* WRAT-Wide Range Amplifier Technology (10 Hz – 100 kHz)
* Non-Scaling Configuration
* Onscreen Display
* Dot Matrix Fluorescent Display
* 5.1 Multichannel Input
* Color Coded Speaker Terminals
* 40 AM/FM Random Presets
* FM Automatic Scan Tuning
* AM Loop Antenna
* Battery Free Backup Memory Protection
* Adjustable Crossover (80/100/120 Hz) Control

#1836 03/03/02 04:02 AM
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
b_man,
Thanks for the link and the info! I'll have to keep my eye out for the new Onkyo's and see if the prices drop on the 595's or the Denon 1802's. Have a good one!
Rob

lando
#1837 03/03/02 04:18 AM
connoisseur
Online Content
connoisseur
Yes that is interesting. There was a post earlier this month that indicated Onkyo had filed for Chapter 11. All I have managed to find was Global Technovations Inc.was in Ch.11. Onkyo America is a division of GTI which makes automobile speakers.

This seems to be unrelated to the audio products, as b_man points to new products are emerging.

Regards,

BBIBH

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020