Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M80 vs M60 with Onkyo reciever
#184512 11/19/07 05:13 AM
Wiggins Offline OP
buff
OP Offline
buff
Hey guys, enjoy reading all your comments, I'm deciding what system I want to go with, I've auditioned Boston VR3's to Klipsch RF82 for my mains, but now am reading about the M60's or M80's from Axiom and am very intrigued and am pretty set on buying through Axiom. The question is, I have an Onkyo txsr575 7.1 reciever rated at 80 watts/channel. Which speaker would I most benefit from, the M80 or the M60. I know the M80 is a 4 speaker load whereas the 60 is an 8. Should I try to sell this reciever and get a new one? I really like the Onkyo, was this a bad choice in others opinions? Just curious what creative options there are to ponder... thanx

Panny 50"PZ85u, Anthem MRX510, Emotiva UPA7, Monitor Audio Silver 8, Centre, FX, HTPC, PS4
Re: M80 vs M60 with Onkyo reciever
Wiggins #184513 11/19/07 05:24 AM
shareholder in the making
No Chris, you shouldn't assume a problem which would probably never develop and sell your 575. Lab tests have shown that the recent Onkyo receivers have substantial power capacity at 4ohms. Even if you should decide to go with the M80s, the probability is that it'll be just fine. Any receiver can drive a 4ohm speaker such as the M80; the question is how loud and how long. Again, there's no good reason for you to assume that your use pattern will be too severe for your 575.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

JohnK #184514 11/19/07 05:36 AM
Wiggins Offline OP
buff
OP Offline
buff
Thanks John, just needed some clarification, and i had a typo in the last message where I said i know the M80 is a 4 speaker load, i meant ohm haha. I was curious if you know where I can find these lab tests on the new onkyo's. I'm thingking of making a purchase after the Christmas season is done, the setup id like is the M80/M60 with the VP150 for the center, the QS8's for the surrounds and either the new EP 350 or the 500 for the sub. Another thing that gets me is the dollar, I bought my reciever for 550 bucks and I coulda got it online for 250. Just curious what kind of setup you have and any recomendations or other info that might be of help.
Thanx

Panny 50"PZ85u, Anthem MRX510, Emotiva UPA7, Monitor Audio Silver 8, Centre, FX, HTPC, PS4
Wiggins #184516 11/19/07 06:17 AM
Chris, some publications(e.g. Home theater, Sound&Vision, Audioholics)do lab tests on receivers rather than simply supplying a bunch of sometimes implausible subjective impressions in their "review". I'll link just the latest lab results on your 575 , which illustrate the superb performance that we can enjoy these days from even modestly-priced(yes, you could have paid around $250)receivers.

By far the most valuable recommendation that I can make is to explore the world of great classical music that's waiting for you out there.

JohnK #184518 11/19/07 06:45 AM
Wiggins Offline OP
buff
OP Offline
buff
Very nice, thanks for the link, in my setup now, I jsut have 4 sony towers and a sony center channel since ive had since college(i was poorer then, but they sound decent for the time, but now am searching for that "wow" sound) With the 5 channels being driven, looks like the amp is dead on for what they advertise, but does dip down in power to 59 watts continuous when the full 7 channel setup is being utilized, but for now I just use the 5 channel setup. Still a question though, explain to me the pro's con's between the M80 and M60 for sound with my reciever. I'm sorry for the questions, I have a decent grasp, but not used to the lingo. lol
thanx chris

Wiggins #184520 11/19/07 07:26 AM
Pay relatively less attention to tests of five or more channels being driven simultaneously at full power; this isn't a realistic scenario for home use. The various channels aren't called upon to simultaneously operate at high power levels. In the 575 report give more weight to the numbers listed for operation with two channels driven, which is the basic standard(and the one used by Onkyo and the majority of manufacturers) required by FTC(Federal Trade Commission)regulations which all receivers/amplifiers sold in the U.S. must follow. Manufacturers are free to follow a more severe "all channels driven" measurement standard if they choose, but again, this isn't especially meaningful in real world use.

I use the M22s with a EP500 sub, which fully satisfies me. The main difference between the M80 and M60 has been said by Alan from Axiom to be that the M80s can play slightly louder with low distortion and have slightly more extension in the bass, while the overall sound was judged to be nearly identical in blind listening tests. Some board members have compared them recently and reported that they heard more significant differences.

JohnK #184523 11/19/07 07:49 AM
Wiggins Offline OP
buff
OP Offline
buff
ahh ic, understandable now, thanks for clarifying for me, either way right now I'm fully satisfied with the purchaseof my reciever. Just curious what kind of reciever you use to power your setup.

What I'm looking for in my system is not something to totally blow a persons eardrum but to be clear loud enough to satisfy. I know everyone has their own preferences and whatever I choose will be over and above what I currently have and it does a so-so job.

I think thats a great setup you got there as well as I am also considering the 500, glad to hear it does it for you and thank you for your input.
Chris

Wiggins #184525 11/19/07 01:14 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I like to chime in for the M60s when the M80 guys appear to be sleeping. If clarity is what you are looking for, the M60s will not disappoint. I too upgraded from a Sony surround system, although I had HK bookshelves for mains. In any case, it's been a year and I still get chills when I play something really well recorded and I hear stuff I never heard before. Soundstage is really nice too. Prior to the upgrade, stereo sound came from left speaker, right speaker and dead center between the two. With good recordings, the instruments and singers get positioned all over the place where they belong.

I always enjoyed music of all kinds but now I spend hours just sitting and listening when before it was always just a background for whatever else I was doing.

And of course the M80s won't disapoint either. I have yet to hear them so I have no longing to upgrade as I am sooo satisfied with the 60s. However, if you have the cash, might as well go with the flagship model.

Last edited by Murph; 11/19/07 01:16 PM. Reason: cause I always type too fast.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
Murph #184529 11/19/07 01:35 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
 Originally Posted By: Murph
I like to chime in for the M60s when the M80 guys appear to be sleeping.

M80 owners back on-line now...

I am certain the M60s are really, really good (I have yet to hear an Axiom speaker that is not much more than you bargained for), but the M80 are just SOOOO good... \:\)

See Mojo's signature
JohnK #184531 11/19/07 02:00 PM
HAY Offline
aficionado
aficionado
 Originally Posted By: JohnK
The main difference between the M80 and M60 has been said by Alan from Axiom to be that the M80s can play slightly louder with low distortion and have slightly more extension in the bass, while the overall sound was judged to be nearly identical in blind listening tests. Some board members have compared them recently and reported that they heard more significant differences.

When I was deciding on 60 vs 80 Ian had told me that the sonic signature is very much the same but the 80 will go slightly lower and be able to handle much more power and play louder.

You can't really go wrong with eiter one but unless you have a large room or like playing over 100db consistently then 60's should fit the bill. Of course, like JohnK said owners have recently posted different opinions about the 80's actually giving you a little more detail and improved sound at lower volumes.

This past weekend I put in a Phil Collins DVD and at the begining he does a drum solo, then another drumer joins and finally a bongo player. Let me say, this 10 or so minute drum fest was really enjoyable and I brought my system to a peak of 113db very very cleanly and detailed.

The choice is difficult but remeber if you buy 60's you may always wonder.... What if I got those 80's, don't underestimate the upgade bug. I've had it myself but truly love my 60's and the 60's are visually more appealing to my tastes. Good luck!

Last edited by HAY; 11/19/07 02:02 PM. Reason: Clarification

High Gloss Cherry
M60 VP150 QS8
Open for Auditions but please don't drool on the High Gloss
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457