Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Dealing with boomy bass. . .
#185549 11/26/07 03:46 AM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
With the long weekend, I decided to not be so lazy and finally deal with some room issues that had been bugging me--namely the ugly monster of boomy bass. My first order of business was to finish putting up some acoustic treatments. I already had the corner traps in place and added some wall seams and an extra ceiling pad along the front and back wall--the latter for more coverage. An added benefit of the rear wall seams is to help hide the QS8 wires. Here's some pics:

Rear wall. Before there was only one pad, now there is two for more coverage.

Front wall. Lotsa bare space. Picture hanging is still in progress.

Rear left. Acoustic treatment/cable management. It ain't pretty, but it works.

Rear right. More of the same.

Another issue was bare wall space. As you can see, the front wall is still in progress. I haven't decided what I want to hang yet. Also, I still need to get another picture, so it can wait a bit.

I found an unexpected assistant to help me hang! Need to be careful where I put my fingers

After a whole day of listening, things still weren't quite right. Bass was still bloated and not as defined as I knew it could get. Also, separation in the soundstage wasn't there. Everything was a bit jumbled. Well, my first thought was that if I wanted more separation I should just push the speakers farther apart. You know, it actually worked. Despite some obvious concerns--my left speaker just an inch away from the bookshelf, and the right one directly in line of the doorknob--I think this is where they will stay. Took care of the doorknob fear with one of those little hinge stopper things. Also, another concern is now my speakers are behind the TV stand. So far, imaging seems to be holding up. I can try moving the whole unit back, but I like having the space available for cable access.

Movement evidence.

More up-close movement evidence. This is the right speaker.

Bird's eye view. Better idea of speakers in relation to TV stand.

Ugh. Next project will be cable management. Having this crawl space is awesome, though. I'm constantly adding, subtracting, changing, moving, etc. and I can easily get to everything without having to do some interesting circus contortions.

I am continually amazed by the effects of speaker placement and room acoustics. Sometimes small moves can have big dividends. What threw me for a loop is that I tried moving my speakers farther out into the room and away from the walls, but the boominess just got worse. Pushing them farther back into the corner and closer to the wall seemed to tame the overhang. Weird. My biggest regret is that I didn't bust out the SPL meter and take before and after measurements as proof of sound changes. Oh well. To my ears everything sounds better. In the end, that's really what matters.

When I get motivated again I'll move the speakers to the original positions and measure just to see what the differences are. Until then, I've got some music to listen to! \:D

"Nothin' up my sleeve. . ." --Bullwinkle J. Moose
Re: Dealing with boomy bass. . .
St_PatGuy #185551 11/26/07 03:53 AM
M
shareholder in the making
M
Sean,

You would have definitely been one of my heroes if you had before and after room response plots. I'm not opposed to dressing my room up but I am still very dubious about the benefits.

BTW, what kind of spider is that?

House of the Rising Sone
Out in the mid or far field
Dedicated mid-woofers are over-rated
Mojo #185552 11/26/07 03:57 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
 Originally Posted By: Mojo

BTW, what kind of spider is that?

Looks like a black widow. Ouch!

Last edited by grunt; 11/26/07 04:14 AM.

3M80 2M22 6QS8 2M2 1EP500 Sony BDP-S590 Panny-7000 Onkyo-3007 Carada-134 Xbox Buttkicker AS-EQ1
grunt #185554 11/26/07 04:10 AM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
 Quote:
Looks like a black widow.

Bingo!

St_PatGuy #185556 11/26/07 04:16 AM
C
CV Offline
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
C
I like your TV stand a lot. *creepy sidelong gaze*

Mojo #185557 11/26/07 04:16 AM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Sean,

You would have definitely been one of my heroes if you had before and after room response plots. I'm not opposed to dressing my room up but I am still very dubious about the benefits.

I know, I'm sorry. It was one of those things where I started in on the project (putting everything up) on a whim and didn't stop till I was done. If I stopped, the whole thing would've died. It was that kinda lazy weekend.

Tell you what, Mojo. In the interest of measurable tweaks, I'll make an effort to do before and after SPL readings. That's all I'm set up for, no frequency sweeps or computer generated charts. It's just gonna be me, pencil and paper, and an SPL meter. I'm taking the week off between Christmas and New Year. That'll be a good time for this. Unless I get really bored in the interim.

St_PatGuy #185558 11/26/07 04:20 AM
M
M
I don't have any fancy equipment either. I have test tones that Randy recommended and I play them from 16Hz to 300Hz in 1 Hz increments and record the SPL. Then I plot SPL vs. frequency in Excel. Now that I have a laptop, maybe I should look into getting some software though.

Make sure you don't change your configuration between measurements. I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

House of the Rising Sone
Out in the mid or far field
Dedicated mid-woofers are over-rated
CV #185559 11/26/07 04:26 AM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
 Originally Posted By: CV
I like your TV stand a lot. *creepy sidelong gaze*

Thanks! It's a Sanus/Salamander mixture. Came upon an interesting idea while trying to incorporate a center channel in my new set-up.

St_PatGuy #185560 11/26/07 04:27 AM
C
CV Offline
C
It definitely works.

Mojo #185561 11/26/07 04:30 AM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
I don't have any fancy equipment either. I have test tones that Randy recommended and I play them from 16Hz to 300Hz in 1 Hz increments and record the SPL. Then I plot SPL vs. frequency in Excel. Now that I have a laptop, maybe I should look into getting some software though.

Make sure you don't change your configuration between measurements. I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

Will do, Tex. Definitely no changes. It'll be interesting reaching for the corners with the speakers in the way. Perhaps it's time to get a small ladder and not rely on my dinky plastic fold-up Ikea chair for support.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020