Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: common guru's - receiver suggestions
#1869 03/01/02 09:27 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
In my home, never...In a controlled listening environment at a local dealer, about 5-6 months ago....just before he dropped the lineup as it was being outsold by other equipment.

In the original post, it was specified " sound quality only", and so it was answered. If you feel the Yamaha is a good piece, so be it. But opinions were sought, and the list was presented. Based on the criteria, opinions were provided...including yours.

You are correct regarding life cycles, in fact you may be generous. Hi Tech is very much a changing landscape. By purchasing something like the Rotel, when in 6 years (to use your timeframe) a replacement is sought, there will be a solid receiver available that can reproduce quality music.....something that can't be said of the Yamaha sadly. I am not sure any amp can smooth over poor source material, as if it is bad, even the best equipment can't change the quality of the media.

I am sure this is the type of feedback that was requested, positive and negative. I think we have provided the end user with both concrete facts, and personal opinion that they will make a solid descision.

Regards,

BBIBH

#1870 03/01/02 10:21 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
"in my home, never"

Come on now. You sound like an audio snob who is more enamored with their own conceited perspectives formed by narcissicism.

Smart you may be, full of yourself you seem. TTFN.

#1871 03/02/02 02:30 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
SO you jump on BBIBH because he has an opinion? Gee if you get in an arguement, do you attack people?

If BBIBH or anyone for that matter does not like something you do, are they wrong? I thought that we have freedom of choice and that is called an opinion.

Rick

#1872 03/02/02 02:36 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Absolutely, positively....maybe. Audio snob? I have never been accused of that before! But if wanting better performance and not settling for a product I don't think is quality, then sure...whatever you say.

What you're quoting is not "an audio snob" comment. It was the response to your asking me when I last had it in my home...as in " I have never actually had one at home, but have heard...". What I guess I failed to get in the message was that I have not had a demo in my home, but in a controlled listening room. Nothing offensive meant, and I apoligize if it read that way.

But you know what? I have always beleived there are good pieces available...and quite a few for the same
price markets as the mass manufactured equipment. Is wanting better than average a crime? Is it worth
working toward with an open mind? I stated the facts, and even my most basic premises are soundly based in terms of music. I have spent many years listening with an open mind. Do you know where that has led? To the belief that we all can have better equipment if we choose to understand the limiting factors and seek answers.

Thanks for the compliment about my intelligence. Self assured? Sure. Cocky? Some might say. Willing to settle for things I don't care for or believe in? Absolutely not. As I have stated many times....this is a subjective business. Do you believe your choice is sound? Sure you do. Would it make me happy? Probably not. But we have the freedom to choose and form opinions...correct? So why should I be insulted because I have an opinion? In my situation, I have the ability to obtain equipment I like.

Anyway, I suspect that we have gotten way of the original post. I would be happy to discuss equipment with you offline. I suspect we will never totally see eye to eye....but would life be boring if everyone did!

Regards,

BBIBH

#1873 03/02/02 08:25 AM
frequent flier
frequent flier
NAD or Rotel for me. Which is more hassle-free in terms of dealer location and/or service? How much is the 761 in Cdn $.

#1874 03/02/02 03:32 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yes. Reason? Holier than thou attitudes come across fairly clearly IMO. Trying to raise your own opinion above others in in itself conforntational. Butt out. Check your comprehension skills, pal.

The 2200 is a stopgap measure for me so my opinions aren't tainted like some people's who feel compelled to defend their purchases -- I'm not accusing anyone in this thread of doing that BTW.

The original poster would be best served if they broadened their pursuit of opinions to include www.hometheaterforum.com and avsforum. Some tend to be Denon fans, some real high-end fans, but some posters are very helpful (not saying BBIBH hasn't been BTW).

#1875 03/02/02 04:01 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I must say that this is getting a little out of hand.....
Someone asked for opinions, was given a few that do not completely agree, and a free for all has ensued.

I see thinly veiled references to opinions placed by people who do not agree with you. I agree that opinions are subjective, but we should not insult a difference of opinion. You mentioned that your choice was an interim step. This indicates that you know that there is higher quality pieces available. You mentioned that you viewed some of the short listed equipement as the next step, indicating above your choice in some areas. Your choice was made like any other person makes theirs - budget, needs, and wants. Perhaps peatro's budget allows him to look at what you may consider the next logical step, above your stop gap piece. He provided the list, opinions were provided.

I also have no problem admitting that something I don't own is better than a comparable piece I do own.....I start working to obtain that better piece, all the while admitting I have found something I consider to be better....again IN MY OPINION. Just in case that was a shot at me;)

Thanks for the compliment (again....cheque is in the mail LOL)

Let's not take this to the common street thug level.

Regards,

BBIBH

#1876 03/02/02 04:33 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I feel anal retentive this morning, so I'm going to scrutinize this post: {no offense but I'M using CAPS; I'm not shouting, really}

"In my home, never...In a controlled listening environment at a local dealer, about 5-6 months ago....just before he dropped the lineup as it was being outsold by other equipment.

PROBABLY BECAUSE THEY"RE COMPETING WITH OTHER VENDORS TOUTING 7.1 and 110 WPC (PERTAINING TO YAMAHA 2200 VS DENON 3802 FOR EXAMPLE - THE PUBLIC OFTEN DOES NOT TAKE ENOUGH TIME TO ACTUALLY AUDITION EACH AUDIO PIECE IN THEIR OWN HOMES, AND OFTEN BUY ON HYPE). IMO FOR YOU TO EVEN MENTION THIS IN LIGHT OF THE FACT I'VE ADMIITTED I LIKE THE RXV2200 IS SEEMINGLY CONFRONTATIONAL. YOU CANNOT PROVE YOUR STATEMENT IS A FACT, SO WHAT PURPOSE DOES IT SERVE THE ORIGINAL POSTER? SILLY.

In the original post, it was specified " sound quality only", and so it was answered. If you feel the Yamaha is a good piece, so be it. But opinions were sought, and the list was presented. Based on the criteria, opinions were provided...including yours.

NO YAMAHA RECEIVER WILL EVER BE THE END ALL FOR SOUND REPRODUCTION. HOWEVER, THE POSTER SAID "FOR HIS HT" MEANING NOT JUST 2-CHANNEL STEREO (THIS IS NOT TO SAY I BELIEVE "YOU" THOUGHT HE MEANT 2-CHANNEL STEREO BTW).. SO I INTERPRET SOUND TO ALSO INCLUDE THE WAY A RECEIVER DISTRIBUTES SOUND WHEN DECODING SURROUND SIGNALS. ACCURACY OF THE SURROUND SOUND STEERING TO ALL SURROUND SPEAKERS. SOUND IS WHAT YOU HEAR, AND WHETHER OR NOT YOU HEAR ENOUGH IN CORRECT PROPORTIONS ASSUMING ALL SPEAKERS ARE PROPERLY CALIBRATED (e.g., SET TO SAME SPL LEVEL FROM THE LISTENER'S PRIMARY SEAT). NOT ALL RECEIVER'S OPERATE THE SAME WHEN IT COMES TO DECODING - JUST BECAUSE IT SAYS IT "DOES" DPL2, DOESN'T AUTOMATICALLY MEAN IT IS THE SAME AS THE NEXT RECEIVER THAT "DOES" DPL2.

I REALLY BELIEVE THE YAMAHA THE POSTER MENTIONS WILL PERFORM PL2 BETTER THAN THE OTHERS -- THE DENON 3802 CERTAINLY DID NOT DO AS WELL AS THE YAMAHA. I KNOW FROM IN-HOME EXPERIENCE, SINCE I HAD BOTH UNITS IN MY HOME FOR OVER 30 DAYS.

EVER HEAR REGULAR DPL? SOUNDS "LESS THAN DESIRABLE, DARE I SAY CRAPPY" GIVEN THE PLETHORA OF DISCRETE CHANNEL SURROUND AVAILABLE NOW. WATCH TV AT ALL? NOTICE MOST STATIONS ARE NOT SENDING OUT DOLBY DIGITAL SOUND OFTEN? DPL2 IS NICE AND WORTHWHILE. IF YOU NEVER WILL WATCH/LISTEN TO TV THROUGH YOUR HT SETUP -- IGNORE DPL2.

WILL THE ROTEL OR NAD OR ARCAM OUTDO YAMAHA? YOU"LL ONLY KNOW IF YOU BRING THEM INTO YOUR HOME.

You are correct regarding life cycles, in fact you may be generous. Hi Tech is very much a changing landscape. By purchasing something like the Rotel, when in 6 years (to use your timeframe) a replacement is sought, there will be a solid receiver available that can reproduce quality music.....something that can't be said of the Yamaha sadly.

AGAIN, YOUR CHOICE OF WORDS HERE IS SOMEWHAT CONFRONTATIONAL. I SAID I LIKE THE YAMAHA SOUND COMPARED TO THE DENON (THIS IS HELPFUL EXPERIENCE FOR THE POSTER), YOU ARE ESSENTIALLY SAYING IT IS SAD THAT (the) YAMAHA (receiver) CANNOT REPRODUCE QUALITY MUSIC. YOU ALREADY MADE YOUR OPINION KNOWN EARLIER IN THE THREAD ON YOUR PREFERENCES AMONGST THE ORIGINAL POSTER'S CHOICES. YOU ARE REALLY TRYING TO SAY THAT MY OPINION IS INFERIOR AND YOUR WISDOM EXCEEDS MINE, AND YOUR EARS LAY GOLDEN EGGS, BLAHBLAHBLAH, .... EVEN IF YOU HAD NO SUCH INTENTIONS, I SUGGEST YOU MORE CAREFULLY REREAD YOUR WRITINGS BEFORE POSTING.

I am not sure any amp can smooth over poor source material, as if it is bad, even the best equipment can't change the quality of the media."

EVER HEAR OF COLORATION IN AUDIO? A DEVICE IMPARTING ITS OWN UNIQUE "FLAVOR" ON THE SOUND YOU HEAR, WHETHER THE DESIGNER MEANT TO OR NOT (I ASSUME THEY DO MEAN TO...)? SURE YOU HAVE. DENON 3802 DOES NOT PRODUCE LONG SUSTAINED NATURAL CYMBAL SPLASHES WHEN COMPARED TO THE YAMAHA RXV2200. REALLY. TRY IT FOR YOURSELF SOMETIME. I AM NOT IMAGINING THIS -- IT IS FACT. NOW IF THE ORIGINAL POSTER CANNOT HEAR THE DIFFERENCE, THEY SHOULD BE SPENDING MUCH LESS MONEY. SORRY FOR USING EASY TO UNDERSTAND WORDS LIKE "SMOOTH" -- IN MY DIRECT HANDS-ON EXPERIENCE, THE DENON ROLLS OFF THE HIGH A BIT SOONER THAN THE YAMAHA, THEREFORE HARSH TREBLE SOUNDS ON POORLY RECORDED CD's SOUNDED LESS SHRILL (LESS UGLY, LESS JAGGED, LESS OUCHIER, NOT AS OBNOXIOUS -- PROBABLY LESS DAMAGING TO EARS ALSO) WHEN LISTENING TO THE DENON.

Really, BBIH Just AVOID My Posts From NOW on
#1877 03/02/02 04:47 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
BBIBH: If you're gonna stand in the kitchen you better be able to take the heat amigo! When you lob grenades, you gotta expect some to come right back atchoo...

I've actually provided additonal good info for the original poster to consider. What else have you offered except to accuse me of verbal thuggery, and put down Yamaha?

Re: Really, BBIH Just AVOID My Posts From NOW on
#1878 03/02/02 04:54 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I can see where Also is coming from, 'cuz lots of forums can have threads that digress down to "my mother can beat up your mother" kinds of mentality. I think BBH didn't probably mean to downplay Yamaha to spite the other poster, but after seeing the refeence in the same thread it could be seen that way. If that post was in another thread, there'd prolly be no big deal.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,477
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,000 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup