Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
I love electricity
#187588 12/12/07 01:44 PM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
I sat in a dark cold house for 2 days. PSO says that there are still 400,000+ people in NE oklahoma, and 216,000 people in tulsa without power. ( Originally the numbers were 600,000 and 275,000) These numbers do not include Oklahoma City. PSO says that it could be 9 more days before power is restored to everyone in the tulsa area. Everyone I know lost power, a few have got it back already. Some have lost it, got it back, and lost it again.

Monday afternoon I tried to go to QuickTrip to get gas and milk. I could only find one QT that had power. There was a 30 minute wait just to get in the parking lot, and an hour wait if you wanted gas. Id say there were 20 cars in line for each gas pump (the line was bumper to bumber for 3 miles- some of which were just trying to get passed the QT for highway access, while others wanted essentials like gas, ciggarettes, and coffee. Monday night we put an air mattress by the fireplace and slept in the living room. It was still really cold.

I drove all over town Tuesday and waited in lines everywhere I went just to get items to survive. I got bass pro shop's last propane heater, only to find out that everywhere in town was sold out of propane. Luckily I found out that I had about 3 cans in my camping gear. I bought a lamp that ran off of D batteries, but everywhere in tulsa is sold out of D batteries. At the last minute I found 2 packs of D batteries at bass pro shop so that was cool. I went to the mall to return some clothes and kill some time (since they had heat and power). ok, bad Idea... it was a MADHOUSE. My friend called and told me that a walmart across town had just received 2 pallettes of propane. I hopped in my car only to find bumper to bumber traffic leaving the mall. Every traffic light was out. I went down a road that said WRONG WAY to gain access to a neighborhood that would bypass this mess.

I got to walmart (after waiting for 30 minutes to get into the parking lot) and they still had some propane. About 1/4 pallet left out of 2. The people of walmart had purchased 1 and 3/4 pallets of propane in 30 minutes. I grabbed 12 more cans, fearing we would be without power for 10 more days. After all, I needed gas to cook and stay warm. I spent 30-40 minutes in line, and the lines tripled while I was waiting. I spent another 15 minutes waiting to get out of the parking lot.

I got home and nailed blankets over my windows and glass door in my living room. I hung more blankets over the entry way to my kitchen and hallway so my living room could have a chance of staying warm with my fireplace and my newly aquired propane heat. I left to give my uncle two cans of propane and purchase a carbon monoxide detector to make sure that we would not die from CO poisoning from the propane heater and the gas fireplace. Right as we were leaving our lights came on! I took down all the blankets, cranked the heat up to 80 (the thermostat was bottomed out at 50 and it was about 30 outside), and cleared my house of my camping gear and candles. Hopefully our power will stay on.

My parents, grandparents, friends, and many other are without power.

My work has been without power for 2 days, today it has power. Oh yeah: Last week I found that the heater in my car was broke too! They say it will cost $800 to fix it... I think my propane heater might come in use after all!

I still have no cable or internet.

-David
Re: I love electricity
terzaghi #187589 12/12/07 02:13 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Reading this is so reminiscent of the '04 hurricanes except we were dealing with the heat and humidity rather than the adverse cold weather you guys are having. We were without power for 12 days during the first hurricane (Frances) and were without for 8 days after Jeanne ... I'll take the hot humid conditions over what your having.

Good luck up there and be safe.

Rick
Our Room

smile
terzaghi #187590 12/12/07 02:16 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Whew! I'm exhausted from just reading about your travails. I'm so sorry you had to go through all that. It's a bit frightening to thing what would happen if our power infrastructure were to be destroyed by either natural disaster or our enemies. Hope your power stays on. \:\)

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
Ajax #187591 12/12/07 02:18 PM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
 Originally Posted By: Ajax
It's a bit frightening to thing what would happen if our power infrastructure were to be destroyed by either natural disaster or our enemies.

Have you seen Live Free or Die Hard (or whatever the new diehard movie is called.) It is a very good action movie.

-David
terzaghi #187601 12/12/07 04:33 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
That's some scary stuff, we seem to get some short power outages during the summer when everyone turns on their air conditioning, but other than that we've been lucky. My wife has always been a little on the safe side so I've got a new and unused 5000 watt gas generator in the garage as well as three months of water and survival food. Although I pray not, someday I'll probably thank her for her foresight.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
terzaghi #187603 12/12/07 04:53 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Wow. Hang in there.

I don't mind sitting in the cold so much as there are usually ways to keep relatively comfortable in a small house or sections of a larger one but having all your pipes burst is an expensive danger.

Might be a good time to check out the thread on books. Boredom is my worst enemy during power outages.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
terzaghi #187607 12/12/07 05:14 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I feel your pain there buddy. Hang in there.

I started another thread about this very thing just the other day. Here

We've been extremely lucky in that our home never lost power nor internet through the entire ordeal. Even with our power line ripped out of the side of the house and lying across the pavement and front yard underneath a tree.

However, lots of friends and family members had been without power for 2-3 days. Our local power company claims to have 90%+ of the people back online now. Almost everyone I know got their power back sometime yesterday or last night. Of course, big difference between a town of 20k losing power vs. 200,000. But certainly a larger scale of workers for you as well.

Good luck and hang in there!

M80v2 | VP150v2 | QS8v2
SVS Pci+ 20-39
Emotiva UMC-1 & LPA-1
M22ti + T-Amp, in the Office
terzaghi #187628 12/12/07 06:31 PM
W
Wid Offline
axiomite
axiomite
W
We are wishing you well from IL. We were spared the ice storm so I do feel really lucky. I hope you guys do get things back to normal as soon as possible. It sucks losing power in the winter. I made it a priority to get a generator this past summer when we lost power for a few days.

Rick

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

Wid #187682 12/12/07 10:26 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
Unbelievable... glad to hear you made it through...

Bren R.

terzaghi #187699 12/12/07 11:05 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Perhaps I should call my parents in Edmond (just outside Oklahoma City)....

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,477
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters